[Suggestion] Compass Bearings on Map

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Silver Pepper, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Jex =TE=

Yes make it so!
  2. Silver Pepper

Early morning breakfast bump.

<Hands out hot crossed buns>

TL: DR for people not reading the previous page: Add a number to the minimap compass HUD with the numerical azimuth / bearing of where your crosshair is facing.

This should help spotting / communicating the location of long distance enemies / referencing routes taken to people you're playing with in the game. Although to be fair it'll probably most benefit small groups / squads (using proximity, due to parallax error caused by people not being close together and general confusion resulting form that.

Examples being, "There's a sniper in the rocks at 37 from my Sunderer", "We're heading offroad at about 160 degrees", "Enemy lighting under the bridge at 335."

Good for if you'd otherwise end up saying something like "Sniper in the rocks NO THE OTHER ROCKS the ones more up from that! No I can't spot he's cloaked himself OH GOD MY FACE MEEEEEEEEEDIC."
  3. Lafladitu

Cordinate system would work nice like
    'enemy Sunderer at Y60,X45'

Or maybe by pressing alt you get the curser and you can click on the mini map and add a temporary red dot that only works when your in a group (squad/platoon) and big outfits, and it dissaper after 20 seconds or so
  4. Silver Pepper

That too, map pings would be awesome.

... if you cert into them, ololol.

I guess "Q" is meant to put them onto the map, but that doesn't help when the map is already swarming with red dots.
  5. Lafladitu

well best would be if the map ping had a diffrent kind of icon so it can stand out from regular Q or proximity scan dots. example an X with a coloured border or have it in a diffrent colour other then red, as I just took it as an example.

Would be quite neet to use and you would be able to cordinate stricks abit better :)
  6. Suckinator

With regards to this, all you need to do is reference yourself just like AFV and IMV crews do in real life.

eg.
    This is W33A, 100m, reference my hull, 3 o'clock (or 90 degrees), 2 man RPG team on ridge (front of vehicle is 12 o'clock).
    A degree/mils measurement is always better but IRL we don't have HUDs so it's less practical...

Also a good tactical addition to the game would be holographic callsign displays above vehicles, like the ammo symbol used to be on Sundies but a different colour.

Would make armour battles via ingame comms sick.
  7. BlamTown

I support this thread. I don't remember which game had it, but it was dam useful and people would always see exactly what you called out, right away. F triangles. Maybe it was project reality for bf2?
  8. Silver Pepper

Early mornin' snow bump.

OMFGWHEEEE SNOW.
  9. Silver Pepper

<Attaches Light Assault jets to the thread>

Up you go.
  10. Zakuak

SNOW YAY! I got 3 feet in my front yard and love it!

Good ideas here!

I'd like to keep the compass though...maybe a subset of degrees under the compass would work.
  11. Silver Pepper

Definitely, don't get rid of it. Just asking that there be a little number with it too.
  12. Silver Pepper

Daily bump of some description.
  13. Silver Pepper

Yet another daily bump.
  14. Silver Pepper

Weekend bump.
  15. Silver Pepper

Morning bump.

Getting the feeling that the more 'bump' messages are at the end of a thread, the less likely people are to support the idea.

... don't blame them.
  16. HvcTerr

I'd like them to fix it so that the "expanded" minimap still shows directions. Since I don't have north always locked to "up" on the map, I keep having to make it smaller just to figure out what direction I'm looking in.
  17. Silver Pepper

Early morning bump.
  18. Silver Pepper

19. orthus2

why not?
  20. Wobberjockey

ignore him.

he always says ideas suck with no basis provided or explanation to his views

i for one wouldn't mind this, though it's not hard if you operate with a rotating minimap