Happy New Year & Update 02 Info!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Higby, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Revanmug

I'm curious how that system will work but it is Ironic to ask them to play BF3 if they don't like tunnel.

Maybe you should play on Metroll if you love tunnel so much!
  2. Meurtos

Yes, Planets are only 1 dimensional. And Planetside 1 had more interior combat than ANY of the bases except Biolab.
  3. Vicis

So, considering there are no notes on buffing the NC or nerfing the VS or TR will people finally stop whining and accept that the developers have looked at the numbers and come to agree that there is no major difference in power between the factions?

LOL NOPE, I WISH.

Remember kids, the more you whine the more you know. ;)
  4. lonesome killer

So with Sever Transfers being the #1 requested change you finally bring it in this update but don't mention a word of it in your promotional emails? I see a new way to experience the battlefield, but I've been waiting to change servers and you don't even mention that part? You guys need to hire a new PR guy or news guy or whatever job you have.

Oh well, now I finally get to play with my friends.
  5. Blackoth

I hope this means that the drivers of Libs, Gals, Sundys get a fairer share of the total xp produced. they are afterall, investing all the points into them.
    • Up x 1
  6. Nurath

Sounds like some positive changes in the right direction, top stuff.

Look forward to meta-game changes to.
    • Up x 1
  7. jordo2k1

would like to see more about performance issues being ironed out as the game is effectively broken till this is sorted.
    all the other stuff in the list about guns bases blah blah blah means nothing to alot of us until the game actually runs sorry devs!
  8. toph1980

Guess I'll check it out on 1/30/13 then. Until then, I'm having fun playing SWG.
  9. ClusterBomb

Exactly What I have been waiting for. This should make the game more playable when it is ready.
  10. ClusterBomb

I don't think anyone cares about making someone happy who wouldn't be happy anyway. They said there are HEAPS of bugs to be fixed aswell during this Update.
  11. GaemOevr

I dont mind ground to air tweaks... I just hope they didnt buff A2A pods even more, like they did last time they "tweaked" air vehicle weapons.
  12. SilverAura

Any word about reducing experience earned for capturing a facility when there was virtually no action? This would really help discourage the nightly zerg blob that seems to occur, where people are forced to pretty much follow the large group of people as they flow from one empty facility to another and holding position until they captured it and get their experience, then take off with virtually no defense.

The blob also avoid any contact with a fight if it can because fights might delay the capture time and we can't have that now can we? More experience faster!

The result is a boring experience grind for people following the blob and a frustrating hopeless battle for the few people who are actually trying to capture property strategically sound facilities and defend them.

Suggesting people join an outfit isn't threw only solution here either. You would need a ridiculous platoon to even hope to fend off a blob who doesn't even want to fight you, just move around you and capture undefended land, whether it's at a strategic advantage to them or not.
  13. DexSK

How about those performance tweaks you're promising for low-end graphics? I've got an i7-2700k @ 3,9GHz Turbo, and a GTX 560 Ti graphics card, and it blows the PC lid of while playing the game, pumping up the heat from the card up to 80 degrees while the CPU stays at a comfortable 48 degrees (both are 35 degs on idle). I've got my PC perfectly cooled off with four 120mm case coolers, and apart from NFS World, World of Tanks and World of Warplanes, no other game is causing this kind of heat problem. A few thoroughly tested and played-through examples include Hitman: Absolution, Assassin's Creed 3, Far Cry 3 and TES V: Skyrim, all played on max details with an 18 inch 1280x1024 LCD screen (pretty low end and therefore less of a strain for the hardware, compared to today's standard full HD gaming screens)...just makes me curious. I know you're not like EA or all the other big game developers whose expensively priced blockbusters are all easy prey for my hardware, but still...please try to work on those HW requirements. Otherwise a big thumbs up for all of you and a very successful new year for you and this pretty enjoyable (and, for the most part FREE of charge) piece of work :)
  14. Electrofreak

I've been pushing hard for pretty much exactly what you posted above over on my thread on the PlanetSide Universe forums, sans the dynamic base XP (which I hope to see soon, as it's probably the most important!)

Thank you for listening so closely. Or maybe you guys already had it in the works. Either way, it's good to see more of what worked in PS1 making it into PS2.

:cool:
  15. Rhapsody

When you spawn at a sundy.. then instantly die... how are you sapose to communicate were the sniper is?

There's a difference between a 'sniper', and a 'spawn camper'. The sniper takes out guys attacking a base, or who are waiting in ambush or whatnot.

A 'spawn camper' is the guy that ignores the base, ignores the fact that.. as you said, this is a TEAM game, and does not tell his buddies were the ams is, and instead just sits there and plugs away at people as they spawn.

And what do you mean by 'running all the way back and talking in proximity' ?. If your a team player, your in a squad, so you can tell the squad-mates were the sundy is. Or, if its working, use /reg.

Complaining that those easy-to-get kills are now going to be invulnerable for a few moments while the freshly spawned player is allowed to get his barrings just shows that you belong to the 'spawn camper' crowd. In which your solely interested in getting that pointless K/D ratio up as high as you can.
  16. Garakan

cause its a viable secondary choice that deserves its own cert-tree. :)
  17. jordo2k1

im a customer its in there best interests to make me happy or i just piss off and dont bother spending my money.
    i love the game,its fresh and fun and when it runs well it runs well but for the most part the poor performance issues breaks that fun and gameplay. which to me is the best part of any game. sod the guns and content just fix the game first. they have built this game back to front on an engine that cant handle its own specific use which is mmo shooter!
    • Up x 1
  18. Ikar3s

Nice specs there, what graphic setting do you plan on?
    I got a Phenom II X4 965 3,4 Ghz, 8 Gb DDR3 1600Ghz Ram and a XFX 250 GTS which allows me to run PS2 on low details, 1680x1050 and highest render distance, while maintaining a decent 45-75 FPS.
    The update is great news, Well Done SoE and PS2 Devs, you deserve a MEGA Cookie. *Gives a Cookie to the Devs*
  19. ItZMuRdA

I think this is a good start. I really love the fact that attention is being paid to spawn camping and having more indoor/tunnel areas, and I hope this continues to develop much further.

Having played PlanetSide for thousands of hours over almost a decade now, I asked myself a few weeks back what was the biggest thing that I thought could use improvement. The answer, for me, was the lack of meaningful indoor infantry combat. I realize this is a game about thousands of people shooting each other with vehicles, but it should still have a place for an infantry-favorable setting. Compare PS2 to how meaningful the indoor combat was in taking a CC in a traditional bio lab or interlink facility in PlanetSide 1, hell even any type of base would suffice for this comparison. So take that, and compare it to what? The dorm-room-sized spawn room with shields that protect us from the outside? Sadly, that's currently all the safety we get from tanks/liberators and the like. I'm not sure how, but I was even dying to liberator bombs near the spawn room of a modern bio lab at one point, not sure how he had an angle to hit us, or if it was some sort of glitch that allowed the gunner to shoot through the dome.

Regardless, for me, the worst part about the zerging and always being overrun or doing the overrunning of others is the very small fraction of a percent of time spent with a meaningful indoor infantry battle that isn't ruined by vehicles shelling from hundreds of meters every which way they possibly can to kill everyone inside. There just isn't enough room indoors away from all that garbage I guess. I mean, literal room, architectural design, space, whatever. I'm talking about the actual layout of these bases and how much is put into areas that are indoors and unreachable by vehicle fire. As I write this, I'm now reminiscing about dropping at a backdoor of a base in PS1 and working my way through the halls of its basement, taking out infantry as I go without worry that I'll die instantly to a guy a mile in the sky spamming his Q button and his left mouse click. It's a shame, and I'm not sure if it's something that will ever be fixed completely, but it is definitely the biggest contributor to my lack of enjoyment at any given point now.

With that all being said, it is with much joy that I read those two lines that Matt posted above, hoping that there is light at the end of this frustrating tunnel (no pun intended, though it fits). No disrespect to those who want to play world of tanks or never leave their vehicle, but I'd love for there to at least be aspects of the game that require or favor indoor infantry combat (and not necessarily Oshur 2.0 or Core Combat), much in the way that you would need to move inside a base to take the CC after capturing the courtyard in PS1, rather than annihilating everything from the safety of your vehicles until the base is in your possession. Please keep it going in this direction, and thanks for listening.
  20. DexSK

I've got them all set on high, with motion blur, vsync and fog shadows set to Off, and got a steady 65 fps rate...and getting my graphics fried with them...actually, lowering the graphics settings to Medium didn't help either. Still getting a steady 80 degs on my gcard, and now that you mentioned the fps counter, after enabling it ingame I've got GPU in brackets beside the fps rate (some other forum said this indicates the limiting factor for the fps? my gcard too lame? sheesh)...