Not GOOD: Invulnerability of freshly spawned and revived players

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gortha, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Gortha

You Sir, are an ...

Read the Thread.
  2. Playful Pony

Nothing has been said of how long this lasts, and what kind of exceptions are in play. Give it some time, learn the facts, THEN lets tear them a new Nr.2 =3
  3. Iksniljiksul

An immunity timer for granting xp is plenty enough, and needed to prevent cheap farming of rewards. Invulnerability to damage is too powerful of a tool. Newly spawned players in a combat zone need to be killed to win the battle, but not camped for xp gains.
  4. shd

You people are acting like like you can go on an invulnerability rampage as soon as you spawn/get ressed. If you ever played a game that has spawn protection you'd know it gives you just enough time to figure out where you are, wth is going on and which direction to run. I don't see why this will be any different.

Only thing that might have some impact is the revive invulnerability. But if it's happening in the line of fire, the revived guy will still be dead couple of seconds later (when you count in the revive animation) and it will give the medic a 1-2 second meat shield so he can squeeze in another revive making pushing through bottlenecks more interesting and doable (anyone who played Wolf:ET knows what i'm talking about).
  5. willTell

Give players 2 sec 50% explosion resistance, but not full invulnerability.
    I don't want to be they guy that empties his clip into someone who I can't hurt.
    • Up x 1
  6. UberBonisseur

We can only see with time.

Just saying there is a huge possibility of messing up what was supposed to be a simple HE spam protection.
    And the infamous battlefield Medic trains
  7. JudgeDeath

The spawn/ress invul will be abused to high heavens and make the game feel sluggish.

This was the only bad thing in the patch update.
  8. phreec

+1 Agreed.

These sort of mechanics are never a good idea. It's been proven time after time in the last two Battlefield titles (BF3 and BC2 spinoff) how easily it'll get exploited, especially if it doesn't break on movement.

Please SOE, don't shoot yourselves in the foot. If it's Sunderer spawn camping you're worried about then make us spawn inside the vehicle. This will also make attackers even more tedious to deal with and make the game more frustrating for everyone...
  9. Wargrim

While i am willing to wait and see, this has the potential to have a very negative impact on Infantry combat.

I have the mental picture of Shotgun / Rocket Infantry advancing towards me like the Terminator, bullets bouncing off of them, until they are close enough, and then BAM! ...
  10. Sebyos

You guys don't even know how long the invulnerability is... I'm expecting nothing more than just a second or two, just enough time to get on our feet and/or get your bearings.
    • Up x 1
  11. Mietz

With res accepts being "permanent" this is actually a very large edge.

You can already wait as long as you want to be resed.
    Now I can wait till the enemy forces are on top of me and res, with the added 1-2 seconds invul thats enough time to switch to C4 and blast a complete squad from the safety of my res-invul. Or deploy some inf mines, bouncing betties, etc.

Fun.

Especially since you can still spot with Q when you are dead.
    • Up x 1
  12. HerpTheDerp

Actually it will be even more broken in PS2 because you can rez from a rather hefty distance and... rez nades.
  13. Kracken

Awww liberators and rocket spamming esfs will have to actually target something moving..... nothing to see here.
  14. Jacobbs

"Game actions" could be as simple as moving. Maybe I'm giving the devs a little too much credit, but some of these scenarios are just outrageous.
  15. Kon

i was thinking of having a sunderer no deploy zone inside buildings, i dont think it would be far fetched for the defenders to have setup some nanite null field which blocks respawning in certain areas ie inside bases / towers etc ( the actually vehicle spawn areas etc ) meaning sunderers will always be deployed outside
  16. phreec

Just wait and see how this will get abused beyond belief in infantry tight areas. I'm glad I'm NC so I wont be on the receiving end of revived MAX's outside biolab doors that accept the revive, crouch and blast off a few haxsaw rounds, die -- rinse and repeat until all defenders outside teleporter rooms are demolished...

This isn't a Zepher/HE spamming nerf, it's an overall gameplay ruining change. ESPECIALLY for infantry combat.
    • Up x 1
  17. LordMondando

My worry here is that whilst its fine in the sundy context. I worry its going to be ripe for abuse in the rezzing context.

For example, imagine your in a biolab, rushed by 6-7 people is defeated, rez grenade comes flying in. All 6-7 people are now up and running behind to flank you all invisible for whatever it is 2-3 seconds, second wave also comes in.

Defend against that?

Also why? Why is it needed with rezing?
    • Up x 1
  18. Jex =TE=

No what will happen is, they will be invulnerable until they shoot, meaning they get the first shot off and maybe even time to line up on your head. Then they shoot and then dodge, or as mentioned before drop c4, or anything else.

So rather than make the players rethink they're stupid spawn-die attitude at a sundy, they just made the situation worse (and who's to say it will actually do anything at all?)

I don't know what the objective is for this game mechanism - what do SOE hope to accomplish - giving the people that fought hard to push back the enemy a handicap?
  19. {joer

I can't grasp the though process on this change unless its about 1/2 a second, and even that shouldn't be necessary. This idea is just bad because its trying to fix a problem which does not exist.
    • Up x 1
  20. Stringz

The sky is falling, the sky is falling....

Even though we don't know any of the mechanics, let's just line up to QQ.