Convert Planetside 2 to Unreal Engine 3

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jourmand1r, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thentar

Look at my sig...I get 45-60fps typically. BF3 doesn't have to deal with what PS2 does. You goto a BF3 64 player map and get all 64 people running around 1 place so everyone can see each other and tell me what your FPS does then. I very often see over 64 people running around. Often I see a well over hundred moving around one area. 20+ air craft in the sky, 30+ vehicles on the ground and people running everywhere while shooting. :)
  2. Garrix

His desktop makes me sad. Too many people with high end pc's that run them into the ground with spyware and half uninstalled bs.
  3. Shylan

I always go into the registry after I uninstall something and manually delete any folders that the unistallation inevitably left behind. And there's always at least one, every time...
  4. Koffee

You think hackers are bad now...
  5. badname02

Name a few other games which can render this many characters on screen in a battle without TERRIBLE horrible and insane lagging (latency wise, not FPS wise) and still look good on high. Oh wait... You can't. It's an MMO guys! All you FPS players who're coming from BF3 and whining; BF3 is not an mmo and doesn't even remotely have to render anything near as hard on your hardware (cpu especially) as this does. This goes for ALL mmo's... I can run BF3 on high\medium mix 1080p and never dip below 50-60 fps but I'm not surprised at all that doesnt happen here... Why? Because Guild Wars 2 etc do the same thing with lots of people in the area; they dip below 30 fps in massive pvp matches regardless of graphics settings.

And to those who bring consoles into the equasion: DUDE YO FOREALZ?? Current gen consoles run CoD(!!!!) @ 600p, that's less than half of 1080p to render at 60 fps... That's with 6 vs 6 in small maps tops! BF3 has smaller maps, low res textures, low player count AND still runs @ 24 fps constantly! How the hell does anyone in their right mind even think that a console engine would be suited for this or that this could run at all on consoles?

What is funny though is that on YouTube everyone's always claiming ''the human eye can't see more than 30 fps ******sz!!11one!'' but everyone here knows better. That's a bonus though. At least it shows signs of intelligence.
  6. Ryloxx

How has this thread not been allowed to die yet, it is the definition of insanity. You have given the OP every single last point as to why this wouldn't work, and he ignores it basically calling you all idiots while he lives in his fantasy world.

I picture a 10 year old with their fingers jammed in their ears screaming "I'm not listening!" while they tell you why their idea is so great and every time you go to say why it wouldn't work they just repeat the above over again.

Good for a laugh though anyway.
  7. -Zlodey-

UE cant support big number of players, heh? PS1 made on same UE generation, as UT2003.

I dont think its impossible to modify UE3/UE4 for supporting massive online battles support. Its very flexible engine.
    But there is one main problem: UE3 cant be used for free in any commercial project. Maybe SOE don`t like to pay for using UE - pay to Epic Games?
  8. JakeLunn

The idea is frankly unrealistic. SOE has a much better chance of optimizing the engine that THEY created (and know the ins and outs of) than they do of converting everything from this game over to a completely different engine.
  9. Cevera

If anything, I would like to see Frostbite 2 used as engine :D
  10. Jet Uppercut

So aside from the client-side hit detection and dynamic render distance, what has Forgelight actually done?
    Because as far as I can tell, both of these things have proven to be horrendous weaknesses for the game so far.
  11. Landtank

You must be one of the stupidest people on these forums. At first I thought you just didn't know what you were talking about, but after reading this thread I've determined that you are actually just legitimately ignorant and stupid.
  12. TheEvilBlight

Next is the Planetside 2 MMORPG...I cast "suppressing fire" on your Sunderer.
  13. DankBudha

Where did you get that info?

And as far as CSHD goes, it is impossible to avoid. Show me the server cluster it would take to run all the calculating required for 1000s of players doing multiple actions at a time. The render issue will be fixed as they optimize their engine. It was never as big of a problem in the first game but this one supports many more players. I'm sure rendering and crashing will be some of the first major bugs fixed.
  14. Cyba

If you're trying to be smart, I would actually read all the posts before you jump to conclusions.

I'm a certified Unreal Engine Artist, so please don't tell me my comparisons are bad.
    Besides, it's not just a BF3 comparison, it's an MMO -> Small Scale game comparison, purely based on the used engines, nothing more nothing less.

So please read before you say something stupid.
  15. TheEvilBlight

Agreed, but I approve of the wallpaper. Expansion pack for Dragonborn. If I had Skyrim on the 360 I'd be in Morrowind by December 4...but knowing Bethesda and their console ports, heck no.
  16. ThaaMilkMan

OP dumb? Planetside 2 is a revolution for gaming, the scale of everything looking as good as it looks, its incredible how far games have come. This was and only possibly due to the engine on which it runs. Your idea.. is it even possible? Lol, why would they waste their time and money even if it was possible. You cant compare Planetside 2 to anything other game because Planetside 2 is in a league of its own
    • Up x 1
  17. MechWarrior001

The K Computer could probably do it, but I doubt SOE will acquire a server with equivalent power anytime soon. They could probably get a single Blue Gene system for each continent; 20 Petaflops from a BG/Q could probably handle 2000 simultaneous hit detection calculations.
  18. MBRicochet

The biggest issue this engine has is the style of gameplay. High speed break neck shooter+Massive scale+Bad physics= WTF IS GOING WHY DID MY NADE BOUNCE OF NOTHING AND EXPLODE ON AN ENEMY DOING NO DAMAGE OMG WTF WTF.

The engine is pretty. The gameplay is ugly and does not work well with the scale of fight.

And you can easily compare Planetside to BF3 and COD. It's the same style of FPS. Fast paced, flashy, and frantic. Like a Micheal Bay movie.

Cools things about Planetside 2?

Scale with no equal. Great vehicle purchasing concept. Amazing resource concept.

Honestly, if we could have everything Planetside 2 has with all the candy offered with an engine like Frostbite 2 *with out the suck* then we'd have officially maxed out the potential of the "Break neck speed shooter."
  19. Themagikz

Please, let me spare you the embarassment. Seeing as my friend runs a 560 ti, his FPS on PS2 is ****. I run a 550 Ti and I get 80 fps on ultra. Now let's do a little deduction here. 560 Ti has not been updated to handle PS2, nor is it optimized for it yet. Quit yer damn complaining and let SOE do their job. They know about the issue with the 560 Ti and are working to correct it, making a thread ******** about it doesn't speed up the process.
  20. Patrician

Forgelight Engine is a next generation engine and should not run very well on low end PC hardware; the Unreal3 engine is 7 or 8 year old technology and, of course, it runs quite well on low end PC's. Want to play PS2 with high graphic details? Buy a new PC or upgrade your low end one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.