how do you gain certs as a sniper

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by W01fe, Dec 2, 2012.

1. W01fe

asking cuz its taken me HOURS to get 60 certs

then i got on a heavy assault and managed 80 in one playsitting.

but i like the sniper playstyle more! yet its so unrewarding for me >.<
  2. Apina

I usually just follow main infantry line and my amazing headshotting skills do the job. Keep in mind though Vanu's starter sniper rifle is useless, its decent if you put a 12x scope and do some long distance sniping.
  3. jiitunary

i spawn an ams sundy and roll with the zerg then when i park, i go sniping

got 57 certs in one hour doing that
  4. Benevon

Sniping isn't easy at first. It's not just about learning to get those head shots, but finding the right position to take those shots from. Setting up behind or on a flank of an enemy force can net you some nice kills. Once you find a spot where there are a lot of distracted enemies you will see the certs fly in.
    • Up x 2
  5. Uncle_Lou

I have found that the infantry render distance is so bad that it is pointless to even try sniping. I enjoy sniping and did fairly well in beta, but they have since reduced the render distance for infantry so much I find I'm better off with an AR. Used to be able to snipe reliably from The Crown to TI Alloys, but I can no longer see infantry at TI from Crown. Shelving my infil sniper until render distance improves.
  6. Benevon

Although I'll admit the render distance can get frustrating, sniping is far from pointless IMO. Just get a little closer. I personally enjoy finding that sweet secluded spot and headshot away.
  7. Cirno

The infiltrator is more than just a sniper, so if all you're doing is sniping you're missing out on potential.
    Sniping gets you kills when you can land them, plus streak/headshot/etc bonuses.

Hacking terminals gets you 25xp, which is 1/10th of a cert.
    I think turrets are the same at 25xp, though if you hack an AV phalanx you can rack up some vehicle kills.
    If you use your little scout radar probe thingy, then you can get a load of spot bonuses when people kill dudes that it's spotted.
  8. karuta

I personally combine short/mid-range sniping (Using LA80 Bolt Action with 7x Scope - before that standard Bolt Action with 8x Scope), hacking and infiltrating for spot swapping with medic - depending on the situation. In big Zergs/Turtle rounds I'm mostly healing and pushing the front as medic, otherwise Infil.
    Preferring organized squad play I'm pretty fond with my CP gain. Not that sure how much but 100-150 in 3 hours I guess (on pure sniping less - about 50-100).

Gotta say, I got 7d Boost + Subscription for more gain.
    • Up x 1
  9. Autistic_Giraffe

Its not that bad if your a good sniper. Get into a good place and camp, every kill shot should be a headshot, which gives you bonus xp, and you should get on a kill streak which gives even more bonus xp per kill. Ya its easier to get more points with other classes especially medics but w/e.
  10. EggoJay

You asked this questions only from the terms of a "sniper" so that is how I will answer the question. Sometimes I log in and want to do nothing else but blowing domes off of VS / TR scum and honestly I find if I am doing the right things I will actually get alot more Certs that way.

The other night my Outfit and I took all but a few areas of Amerish (sp?) and was there for all of those caps. Most were undefended so I did not get certs for anything other than Hacks / Caps and afterwards I noticed the certs I can gained was somewhat lackluster. The next night I just felt like being a killwhore so I spent the entire night finding the most "target rich environments" and knowing the terrain on Indar the most positioning myself to get the most kills per life as possible. I found I could get a lot more Certs just being a killwhore. Capping a ghost town of a continent was about 50 certs an hour, but during some of my better hours on the hunt I was clearing almost 80 certs an hour. Granted, that is with bonuses but the stark contrast remains even with out the bonuses since it applies to everything. With my bonuses currently OKH = 1 Cert.
  11. m44v

With lots of patience.
    • Up x 1
  12. Psyqhical

And yet, the Vanu Snipers are the easiest to use...

I'm playing with the V10 sniper, combined with the Vanu's ability to ignore Bullet Drop, the V10 sniper is (almost) an instant hit.

Press Shift to reduce scope instability and the only thing you still need is skill to mount the headshots. If you have everything mastered, heads will roll...

I can get 30 certs in half an hour with the sniper when in a moderatly populated facility.
  13. W01fe

ty for all the replies everyone.

i know infiltrator is more then a sniper but until i get a shadow/stalker (im NC) i find my ability to survive and kill in closer range is so horrible it makes me crynge. meanwhile ive killed or pressured people with heavy assaults base weapon at about 3/4th the distance ill try with my la80 with 8x scope. along with WAY more ammo.

maybe the forward grip for the sniper will make a difference /shrug...also how do the semi auto snipers compared to the la80 bolt action? i really like headshot kills but find my ability to follow up shoot is horrid. basically if i dont get that headshot its a no go on a kill.
  14. Psyqhical

With the other factions (NC and T) best thing to do is to hold shift and aim just above their head.
  15. W01fe

lol i know how to shoot (most shots with the la80 you actually want to be on teh head, if i aim above it tends to miss)
  16. Boom929

...you get spot xp for targets your recon tag lights up?
  17. Boom929

Depending on range... I regularly have to account for bullet drop with the Lady.
  18. itzCujo666

I mix infiltrator with engineer. Engineer is a cert gold mine, drop an ammo at a corner where the pack get's stuck, there's always somewhere 5-10 guys camping, can't get around. Then go flank. Helps with a few certs in ammo, so it lasts longer. But, a great suggestion from a higher up poster - sundy with AMS parked where the zerg gets stuck then fade off to a flank. Sure that'll work well, and will try it myself.
  19. Dcrd

Shoot guys in the head.
    • Up x 2
  20. Ganjis

A good place to get kills as a sniper is a hill overlooking a tower that your side is attacking, near to a friendly tank that is shelling the top/middle floor. If it is using HE shells, then there will be plently of people that only need a body-shot from a semi-automatic rifle to kill.