Nanoweave 5 versus Nanoweave 1

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by StormFrog, Dec 2, 2012.

1. StormFrog

There are very few situations where Nanoweave 5 does anything more than Nanoweave 1. People with Nanoweave 5 have basically paid 1210 certs to have a one bullet advantage over a one cert point passive in a few edge cases.

Look at the graph below and then look at the "Bullet Min Damage" column on this spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AuOojvNLMApVdEtIU1NKenEzNzZOSWNaanFqSUVxLWc&gid=12

[IMG]

The only time Nanoweave 5 is actually good is when certain weapons do 112 damage or less at their extreme ranges (keep in mind Soft Point Ammo reduces min bullet damage by one tier).

Resist Shield might increase the number of edge cases for Nanoweave 5 but I don't know what percentage of mitigation Resist Shield gives, so I can't be sure.
    • Up x 5
  2. morbidillusion

Hey, nice job on the graph. Good analysis. Thanks for this.
  3. BuzzCutPsycho

Graph further proves that Nanoweave is too good to pass up and has zero downside.

Thank you for supporting my argument with this graph.
  4. Uben Qui

You are obviously not reading that graph right if you think it supports your other thread. :(
  5. BuzzCutPsycho

So nanoweave gives you more health. Why exactly wouldn't I want this again?
  6. Badname3529.

Because the person choosing might actually be effective at their role in game, unlike yourself.
  7. SpruceMoose

hes made his point and hes not budging
    can't change his mind with any number of facts

just give up and stop letting him troll you
  8. BuzzCutPsycho

What facts disprove that Nanoweave, a flat 25% health upgrade is an armor type with no downside?
  9. Jestunhi

None of the options have any downside unless you consider not being able to get the other options.

In which case nanoweave has the disadvantage of not being able to choose any of the others meaning they all have equal disadvantages.
  10. BuzzCutPsycho

“Why would I waste spending 1,000s of cert points into other armor for classes when I just need one type?

Nanoweave lets me take 2 extra bullets if not more depending on where the shots hit (not everyone is an ace at shooting a moving target). This is the ideal suit mod for all situations. When I am trying to min/max my survivability, this is where it is at since you will be taking all kinds of damage just about most of the time. This game is about TTK and I want to have the gun that has the fastest TTK and I want an armor mod that will give me a higher TTK. Nanoweave does this. Nanoweave breaks some aspect of the game. It creates an unfair balance between low and high TTK.

Any halfway decent player can tell when someone has a high level of nanoweave versus someone who does not. You say to yourself, "I put my entire clip into this guy and he still has a sliver of life left. I know I should have killed him."

Lets go over situations and the other shields.

Advanced Shield Capacitor: For 341 cert points, I can regenerate my shield 2.5 seconds faster. That seems pretty sweet, except you need to be out of combat for this to happen. 2.5 seconds really is not that much in the grand scheme of things. So, in a big battle, what is really going to save me, faster shield regen or more HP? More HP 99% of the time. Again, if you are some lone wolf sniper, the ASG may actually be nice since when you get shot, you have more time to recover and stealth from a distance. So, to an infiltrator, this may be nicer at longer ranges. At the end of the day, what is better in almost all situations? Nanoweave hands down.

Flak Armor: Reduced damage by 25% of one kind. When do you get hit by flak where this will always save you in every situation? This is only good for one thing, explosions happening right near you so you don't immediately die. Well, Nanoweave can do the same thing with that 25% extra HP. So, why would I want something that is only good for one situation and not all? If I am spending 1,211 cert points, I want it to be versatile and be for almost every situation. Flak armor is nice but I would rather just have more HP since I am typically always getting shot by bullets when there is a grenade or c4 going off near me. If I have max nanoweave, I can survive a grenade or c4 so why in hell would I bother with flak armor? I wouldn't want to use the scenario of a tank shooting at me, chances are I am dead anyway (assume I don't have a counter to that tank).

Grenade Bandolier/Munitions Pouch/Ammunition Belt: Garbage. For the amount of certs these cost, they are garbage. Why would I give up 25% more health, 25% resist to flak, etc for 1 or 2 extra grenades or a few extra bullets? Unless these were all combined, I think these are pretty useless.. Even for the lone wolf, these are useless. The only one that is okay is the ammo belt for if you want to be some elite shadow sniper off in the hills of Pakistan. So, please combine these with different levels and appropriate cert costs.”
    • Up x 2
  11. Uben Qui

EDIT: He proved me wrong with the post above.
  12. BuzzCutPsycho

Brought up plenty. Typically when something like this is so obvious one doesn't need to work hard and grasp at straws in an attempt to bring up "points" - Nanoweave is just too good when compared to the others and doesn't belong in this game.

There should not be any straight health pool modifiers in this game. Period.
  13. Littleman

This thread will quickly devolve into the last one fairly quickly... People will not budge, because opinions are opinions, and despite any numbers presented, you've either decided one round is HUGE and it works at all times (except when you're already hurt,) or not worth passing up the other buffs.

There is little in the way of swaying one here unless they're actively interested in each sides argument. Since anyone can pick up tier 1 and try it out, it's hard to argue someone as being ignorant if they didn't find nanoweave to be all that noticeably helpful.

Also, Buzz is hardly an authority in game balance. I can bring more ammo, faster shield gen, or have greater resistance to explosives. Beyond that, I can increase my heal rate and recharge with my AoE. HA can improve their shield strength/recharge. Jetpacks can recharge faster and improve the length of their thrust. He's picked ONE straight "upgrade" out of dozens to pick on? Yeah... its a personal beef for him. Pay no heed.
    • Up x 1
  14. Shaxx the Traitor

One downside being having two less grenades.
  15. StormFrog

Until someone with Resist Shield is kind enough to do some tests and post what its damage reduction percentage is, it's best to view Nanoweave as a one-point-wonder.

It's buying you one extra bullet worth of life. Keep in mind that refire times for carbines, LMGs, and ARs range from 0.12 seconds (Gauss SAW speed ) to 0.071 seconds (Cycler TRV speed). That number gets larger the more inaccurate the shooter is but it shouldn't be a giant increase. Considering perfectly balanced firefights don't happen often, I can definitely see why someone would want an extra grenade over an extra 0.12 - 0.071 seconds.

Essentially, the first level of Nanoweave hurts low RPM weapons (ie. most NC guns) the most. While max rank Nanoweave hurts most VS weapons and a select few TR and NC weapons at ranges past ~100m.
  16. Bigperm

I think the point is that NW (while not leaps and bounds ahead of the others), is still obviously superior to the other suit choices and makes it feel like it's not even a choice.
  17. BuzzCutPsycho

I run Nanoweave all the times and hose down scrubs without it with ease. When they're on the ground dead I bet they wish they had 25% extra health instead of that spare magazine.
  18. BuzzCutPsycho

Boom - Somebody gets it.
  19. Pax Empyrean

Some people suck at math.

A 25% reduction in damage taken from explosives means it will take 33% more explosive damage to kill you. A 25% increase in your health (not your shields) increases your total damage soaking ability by 12.5%, meaning it takes 12.5% more damage to kill you. So other than being a little over two and a half times as effective at protecting you from explosive damage, I guess there's really no reason why you'd ever want to take flak armor.
    • Up x 1
  20. Littleman

Unless they bring you within that final shot range of HP constantly, you never really needed nanoweave to begin with.