1 rocket volley 1-shots a tank...thought this was fixed

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Halcyon, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Goden

You need to try harder. You suck at lying.
    • Up x 2
  2. Pikachew

Rocket Pods actually are very OP. They are supposed to be great for anti infantry and only do mediocre damage to tanks. Liberators are supposed to be the ones who annihilate tanks, not ESF's. Higby said this himself, but we have yet to see them act on it.
    • Up x 2
  3. Gramps

A2A rockets, by themselves take 2 shots to completely cripple an enemy plane, 3 shots to destroy them. 1 magazine from your nose gun and an A2A missile will kill any plane outright. G2A rockets from HA take 4 or 5, if they were adjusted to be the same as the A2A ones that would be completely acceptable IMO and I'm not sure why they aren't the same. Skyguards I agree could use a bump, but not much. If you're actually capable of aiming and leading flying targets they do damage. Tower/base AA is fine as it is considering there is 4+ guns on some of the bases. MAX AA is completely fine, no idea why anyone would ever complain about MAX AA, especially when you have two AA arms.
  4. Deneroth

If you want to oneshot a heavy tank with rocket pods you have to get its rear... come very low, and stand still in the air to land the hits.... you can do it but it's not easy (I'm not saying it's overly difficult, it's just not easy). You might want to know that snipers can kill other people with a single click if they hit their head, to the person being headshot it felt like less than an instant an too easy to die like that. To the person shooting it took good location, finding clear target (that, most of the times, isn't moving), holding his breath and then finaly shooting. That's pretty much the same thing. Oh, and don't you one shot infantry and flashes as heavy tank?

At last I'd like to point out the fact you said you died TWICE in one night of playing from that... I don't know how much you play or how much you use the vanguard, but those numbers don't give me an impression like the rocket pods are over powered... how many times do you think I died from heavy tank's main turrets in two hours of playing earlier? Comon it's no big deal...
  5. Lord Gazgul

today we was about 15 max or missil, and air keep going over and over again killing us all

AA is far away from ok, i know there will be many crying babys when the AA will get is place back
    but if AA dont get a massive boost many will just leave the game and play another game, AirSide 2 is gona die 1 way or another
    • Up x 1
  6. smkerr

I agree with OP, its frustrating to die in literally 2-3 seconds before you can even realize what is doing the damage, and the a-30 is so bad, I think a liberator with a specialized aa gun should be a match for 1 ESF, could 1 uncerted lightning take on a 2 manned MBT? no in literally any situation. but 1 esf even withoug rockets kills my 1000 cert liberator all day with that stupid a30, and if they have a2a or a2g rockets its game over even sooner.
    • Up x 1
  7. phreec

I agree that A2G rockets could use some reworking but AA isn't useless, it's just not properly viable to solo. Just five burster MAX's can deny a whole base entirely from air assets, no matter how skilled the pilot is.
  8. xtoph

Nothing wrong with this. Everyone spams tanks as it is, I am glad a full rocket volley kills them
  9. Veil

Glad to see some logic in this thread somewhere.
    Tanks shouldn't be watching the sky, unless it's a Skyguard. And as quoted, AA is such a joke right now that nobody wants to do it. They need to be supported, but right now the only people really "covering the groundpounders" are the pilots with A2A missiles and the occasional Heavy Assault with the Hawk launcher. In short, it's just not enough to deter/protect against the rocket spam.

You said Skyguards were more than effective, initially... which they are most certainly not. The Skyguard doesn't guard much of anything, there's a reason you almost never see them. I have absolutely no problems aiming/leading targets whether as infantry or flying my own Reaver in dogfights, but the Skyguard's gun is simply crap for a multitude of reasons. Anybody who's used one, then hopped into a Burster MAX, will immediately wish they could just strap the AA MAX onto the top of the Lightning instead.

The problem is that tanks move at a decent pace, and things like AA MAXes can't keep up. The Skyguard was meant to be able to travel with them and help protect them, and it fails to do so.
  10. Duff_Chimp

What really is grating is that you can take all necessary precautions, provide yourself with cover and and escape route. Be the most skilled as possible with a tank and have a secondary gunner who communicates with you on VoIP. But one lone pilot fresh out of flight school, with rocket pods, can obilterate you within 2-3 seconds.

Now i'm saying that getting 'one-shot' in a tank is rare for me, but it does happen. Its one of the most frustrating things in the game as it currently stands, especially if you just bought tank and now have to pass the time some other way until your cooldown resets. What is more common is the being shot up and left on fire, and then its a mad rush trying to figure out what cover to run for (if there is any), retialiate if that is an option. Then have the fighter swoop round and finish you. To me while still frustrating it seems that at least (unless the circumstances are bad) you some ability to survive that encounter.

The crux of the matter to me, is that nobody likes being 'one-shot'. Fine sniper can hit you from afar with relatively little skill, but thats one life, one person. You respawn in no time and rejoin the action, get your revenge. A good sniper can lay waste to squads and get away with their life. Infantry including snipers can squished by everything in the game, everything.

A good tank with a good crew can destroy infantry and armour indiscriminately, but can be annihalated by air, with no real means of retialation. Most people that fly do so with the means to take out ground forces with no real threat of being taken out themselves. No wonder most air pilots do this. Air to air combat in this game is weak, and there are not enough people dedicated to taking air out. Air is the strongest force in this game as its not 'one-shottable' especially ESFs. The amount of times if seen a plane hover not 30 yards from my face and me thinking: Couldn't i just shoot the guy in the cockpit?

Tbh i could talk for hours on the subject, especially being an avid tank driver. Really i would just be happier that ESF kept their OP rocket pods but just make them easier to take out. I cry every time i land a shell in Scythe's face just to watch him fly away and come back fully healed later. Also make small arms fire more effective to fighters, also with possibility of fatal cockpit shot, would be super cool. Just remember the fun i had sniping spitfire pilots out in BF1942.
  11. WilliamB

yes because it s hard to get in the bank of a slow moving tank with a fast moving aircraft ...
  12. Gramps

I agree that Skyguards are weak, if they made them as effective as they look they'd be fine. Right now the Skyguard graphically has 4 barrels side by side and two beneath. It seems/feels like that they're only firing one, if they fired all 4, meaning increasing a Skyguards damage when on target they'd be fine. ATM they work well in groups. I also am surprised that infantry don't use small arms fire on planes, a bunch of guys using their LMGs on an ESF can do substantial damage to a plane.
  13. Freyar

People expect their armor to protect them from things. Like ESFs, when hit with the right thing the right way, they melt like paper. PROTECT your flanks, know what's going on.
  14. AtomicGerman

if i use my van or lightning ap rounds does two shotting mag riders make me op?
  15. Jackflash2

Look gentlemen and ladies this is a paper/rock/scissors game.Your tank shouldn't be able to take on ground/air/infantry. Also when sitting in a open field without friendly support. You must tactically place your tank according to how the battle dictates as I do with my aircraft. Also I do not own A2G pods yet because i prefer fight air to air. I'm just saying there is more to the equation than OMG rocket pods killed me again! I'm willing to bet you have more deaths attributed to other things than rocket pods, but with the general consensus of pods are OP it angers you to be killed even once by them.

This isn't CoD you will be killed and cannot take on the entire opposing force by yourself.
  16. DeadlyShoe

Unless you are in a rocket ESF, in which case you are good against everything.

So why can you easily take out tanks with a fighter, rather than requiring the ground attack airplane to be effective?

(This bugs me. I fly liberators. Sometimes I wonder why I fly a liberator instead of taking 2-3 rocket fighters.)
    Get real. It's a hundred times easier to position as a plane. Tanks have to stop to fire accurately and the only thing an ESF requires to knock a tank out is for it to stop. Few positions are both valid for ground combat and reasonably protected from ESFs.
    • Up x 2
  17. Imnuktam

This game isnt rock, paper, scissors, and that is the problem. It is rock, scissor, rock. As long as Aircraft are the only things other aircraft have to fear how can it be called anything else?

Aircraft = Anti-everything.

AA = ? It sure isnt air since one vs one I would take an aircraft with pods over a ha with a2g missles, a max with burster or a skyguard. Also anti air is good at nothing else, so what is it really good for at all right now except frightening enemies. :eek:

The cod arguement is getting old and I never even played the game. Stop wasting thread space on that, its like saying "i dont have a point so I will use this catch phrase I saw 24 other people use last week"
  18. shadowkhat

no more like imagine that an air vehicle with ANTI infantry weaponry .... its allready been stated rocket pods are designed to kill infantry not tanks. but yet they still will kill tanks in one volley. not even remotely close to what was said that rocket pods were meant to only harass armor... ya its harasing... harassed to death
  19. Madmojo

What I will agree on is the AA gun that can be bought for the secondary is utter garbage. If I spent SC on it I would be highly peeved.
  20. shadowkhat

would be nice to have AA ... but G2A is useless now, takes too many to reliably kill air and the rockets are far too slow and no where near maneuverable enough to counter air units. the only way G2A would be effective is if they kept the maneuverability and made them one hit kills, but all the pilots would cry then something could counter their exp farm.

skyguards are useless, so innacurate anything outside the range of around 100-200m or so its near impossible to hit. anything outside of 350m is immune to a skyguard. shells jsut don't go that far. shot 800 rounds at a lib tonight that was just hovering above a biodome on amerish... xelas i think where the dome sits in kind of a bowl... lib was maybe 400 m up and 800 rounds not one single hit.

bursters still do fairly decent... but why should i have to pull a max to counter air when i've pulled a tank thats DESIGNED TO KILL AIR costs the exact same as an ESF but is no where near even remotely on the same level as an ESF one burst from pods and boom and the esf can even be outside my range hovering and nothing i can do about it other than respawn. if i can kill an air unit with a unit that costs the exact same and is designed to do exactly that ... kill air units i would call that 100% without a shadow of a doubt IMBALANCED
    • Up x 1