Quick Note on Optimization

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by codeForge, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Methsor

Incredibly encouraging just to know that the performance issues are being worked on. Thank you for your commitment and hard work toward making this the best game possible, please know that we are all pulling for you guys and hope to help you shatter records with Planetside 2!

Eat some turkey and relax tomorrow, thanks for making this a sticky!
  2. Spliffey

Great news, thank you for posting. I was worried i had to ditch this awesome game. Running this on an old quadcore (Q6600@2,6Ghz) but a decent card (GTX560Ti), i'm getting no more than 10 fps in large battles. It would be great if my GPU would be used a bit more intensive instead of the CPU. If the FPS could get around a stable 25-30 fps during big fights, i would be a very happy camper.
  3. Taskforce

The game has come so far so fast. Sucks you guys only get the bad feedback most of the time. Since the Test phase until now its improved dramatically.

Thanks for all you guys do.
  4. Cryless

the game's frame rate has improved A LOT since the beta. I stopped playing the beta because I couldn't get a smooth frame rate even at the lowest possible settings, but now everything works great and since you're telling us that you're still working on optimizing the game makes me really happy :D
    • Up x 1
  5. Sodring

EVE Online.. largest battles ive seen was 500-600 players
  6. NDest

Here take a look at this, it help me and now I don't have any fps problems!

Browse your PlanetSide 2 folder;
    Open UserOptions configuration file with notepad;
    Scroll down to rendering and change "RenderDistance" from the default 999999 to 1000;
    It will work perfectly and you won't notice any changes.

I'm running an I7 and nvidia 275gt xfx, but if you are a laptop you might wanna try lower than 1000.

Now I don't understand why the devs added such a big number for rendering and no option in settings, but sometimes people miss things, so it's normal.

Dev if you are reading this, please don't forget to point it out!
    It might be the problem for everyone!

Thank you
  7. St0mpy

haters gonna hate, and people are always going to have borderline PCs and be unhappy they cant play

keep it up dev people, not sure who many of you are atm so a general well done to all for now, dont let the buggers grind you down :D
  8. Spoof

This is a common misconception. A lot of what you see in MMOs are an illusion.

When a hundred people fight a boss there can be hundreds of attacks ocurring per second... but that's all generated client-side based on simple math. The server's update frequency is very low (< 10 fps), it doesn't care about collision detection, and it doesn't handle each 'hit' or attack individually - instead it normalises damage over time and let's the client fake each swing or strike.

Compared to Planetside 2 a game like WoW is doing a fraction of the work you think it is.
    • Up x 2
  9. sladuog

In the end we are all slaves to amdahl's law. Keep up the good work.
  10. S-1-L-3-n-T

CPU : AMD Phenom II X6 1090T OC @ 6 x 4,2 GhZ
    GPU : 2 x HD 5870 OC @ 895 / 1300 - CROSSFIRED
    Catalyst 12.11 Beta8
    (AFR Freindly / C.AI - Performance)

Res : 1920x1080 ( Fog Shadows = OFF )

Out of Battle : 55-70 FPS
    In Battle : 10-20 FPS >>>> Now 35-40

*** I got rid of the CPU Usage, when i used the ULTRA settings (config mod) -
    The Graphic Setting Bars hadnt any content (were epmty).

than i switched the Settings Ingame to "HIGH".

The CPU Usage dissappears and GPU Usage is present.
    Now i have constantly 35-40 FPS - even in Big Battles.
    Its not perfect, but more playable.

And Im happy about the upcoming Updates. =)
  11. brent234

Am i the only one getting MASSIVE fps drops when looking/walking around the buildings at Zurvan Amp?

I've set everything to ultra low (not even lighting enabled, lawl) and got consistently smooth fps thanks to that, but at Zurvan Amp it ALWAYS goes down to liek 30-20 fps all of a sudden. Every single time.

Phenom II X4 945
    HD5770
    4GB DDR3
  12. Drahzar

A honest question: why didnt you wait with the release till december?
    • Up x 1
  13. Bulletbiter

Nice to hear that the closed beta goes finally to open beta.

So why didn´t you start an open beta before launch and why did you release the game ?
    Was it only for the money ?

The first players are quitting now playing PS2 because of the bugs and very bad performance.

With lagging and warping things around , fps below 10, freezes and crashes ...
    That´s not a good advertisement.

Don´t get me wrong.
    I will stay on board and i have patience to wait until one day the game will run nearly without bugs and crashes. But if someone is new to planetside and sees he 1. can´t get on the server, 2. has bad performance, 3. has crashes to desktop and freezes and so on, he will surely quit to play and spread his experience with this great game to his friends and on facebook and so on ...

This could be known before launch, so what is it, what makes you release a game, without open beta test with masses of players 24/7 ?

Is it because of a contract, or what ? I don´t understand it.

Even players that were in outfits already quit playing it ...

Forgive me , i´m only upset , because i love this game ...

( Alpha Squad ,1 year membership and tons of SC )
  14. d3MMoNuL

We appreciate the info but there is a LOT of info in the low settings that isnt very useful like car lights, shadows, view range and a lot more that i dont need and there bogging the system very hard specially when you have a lot of people around... trying to process that might be a pain.
  15. Babylon Rocker

funny thing, it doesnt matter if i play on low or high, i get the same mediocre performance (usually around 60-80 frames and 30-40 in huge battles)
  16. Marquis

Well I want to make this crystal clear. It's obvious to everybody you rushed an UNFINISHED game to market because you're higher-up's are way too greedy. Now watch as you lose potential subs for your hubris because people can't be bothered waiting for you guys to finish this buggy mess when it's advertised on the front page of steam as a finished product. SOE is the most fail dev/publishing company ever.
    • Up x 1
  17. Odan.be

The render distance is standard set to -1.00000 so ....
  18. codeForge

Look, I'll take anger over apathy any day. People want this game to rock on their machines because they want this game. What better compliment, right?

Angry rhetoric and hyperbole doesn't bother me either, it's just venting frustration... something the internet is good for. I've heard it all, no big deal.

For those who feel they have to leave because something isn't in the state they expect it to be in, do. We'll be here when you decide to come back. No need to stress about it.

Listen, the game has a very fun core, and we will get all the kinks worked out, and in the end you'll have experience in Planetside 2 that you just can't find elsewhere. If that experience isn't for you, no harm done. Heck, its why we don't just make one game!

As far as release dates and all that, the explanation is also pretty obvious. We shipped when we thought it was the best time to ship. We're months away from determining if that was good or not. Those with business degrees could probably spin a pretty compelling argument. I don't have a business degree, I'm just a code monkey.

Again, we have a fun game here, and we want people to enjoy it, and we'll keep working towards that goal. It really is that simple.
    • Up x 9
  19. Gawin

Of course we want it to rock on our machines, it did in beta. Not now....
  20. Jac70

What do you
    What do you hope you can improve? Performance in large battles. rendering of units, draw distance - those are the things I would like to see improved.