DBG: GET IN GEAR and resolve the terrain cheats.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by OgreMarkX, Sep 25, 2018.

1. OgreMarkX

Yet AGAIN. AGAIN. Connery server. Terrain hacking. Liberator flying with impunity all night underground, rank 106 pilot named t**g666. You fill in the asteriks from the dozens of /reports in game.

AGAIN.

Night after night.

Hack.

Cheat.

Exploit.

There is a common thread to who is doing it.

Again.

Again.
    • Up x 1
  2. iller

Y'know if it's happening that often... then you've probably got no excuse at this point for not figuring out how OBS
    (https://obsproject.com/) works... and quickly recording video of it to send to Support and get this whole thing nipped in the bud way faster than Whinging to the Forums would get eyes on it
    • Up x 3
  3. OgreMarkX

I am not recording a video and sending it. I used the report system, dozens of people did as well. It is NOT incumbent on paying customers to do the job of the game company.

What is DBG? CONGRESS?

If they cannot or will not take action on repeated blatant cheats then they can continue to lose players.

Remove the in-game report system if they don't use it.

I asked that they RESOLVE THE ISSUE.

Ban the players in the lib? Ya sure. But guess who stat pads characters back up and sells them? Take a wild guess.

RESOLVE THE ISSUE.

One of this games problems since 2012 has been the use of bandaids to solve engine or code issues, that only COMPOUNDS the problem in the future.

RCAs (Root Cause Analysis), not bandaids or players having to deal with one-off, repeated hackers.
    • Up x 4
  4. iller

Then I'm afraid you just don't understand how Customer Service works at these sorts of companies (especially the ones that OUTSOURCE their ingame reporting duties)
  5. Gustavo M

Apparently this "terrain cheat" is nothing than a trick -- no third party software included. And I'm afraid the odds of they "fixing it" are as unlikely as BFR's being (re)implemented into the game.

tl;dr: Clientside is a mistake.
  6. Towie

There was another thread with pictures of a perpetrator flying under the ground - I kept posting "He's still playing" every day until he was banned.

Except he wasn't, is still playing today and the thread was deleted. Well I guess that's one way to resolve it.

:(
    • Up x 2
  7. FateJH

Serverside would have the same problem because it's obvious DBG isn't checking this at all anywhere. The only way you could absolutely avoid it is to have no layering, e.g., rocks, buildings, etc., and there's nothing but the ground terrain and the skybox. And the ground literally is defined as the "bottom of the map," as one would define the ground as the floor of a traditional Doom linedef map. There'd be no concept of "underneath." You could easily enforce that players can only stand on certain terrain using server validation of client information, but the developers aren't doing that level of auditing either. I'm not going to say the setup would be easy but it would be capable. More to the point, if you can figure how to defeat even that, then it doesn't matter how much server-side you inject into the game.

Clientside is not a mistake. Shortsighted effort - that which we have in abundance - is the true mistake.
    • Up x 2
  8. csvfr

If there is one thing I see more of in this game than cheaters, it is people yelling in chat that some player is cheating and encouraging others to report. Probably some who do without first-hand knowledge of the accused, so DBG is right to be skeptical towards report spikes.
    • Up x 1
  9. iller

Actually... Terrain clipping is something that you can NEVER move Server-Side. The number of physics calculations required per tick will either slow everything else to crawl or just MELT your average Xeons in a matter of months if not weeks. This is similar to why most MMO's don't even like having Player Body collision be serverside and that's a much easier one than terrain clip

The only hope for it to ever happen in the next 5 years, (but not in this game) is through a PhysX setup hard coded at native 64bit DX12 only (or Vulkan) 32/64-core perfected Multithreading and even then there might have to be some major compromises like simplified displacements/voxels and that weird cloud OS they were trying to pitch right before the entire MMO industry gave up wholesale and let Mobile take over
  10. Sazukata

An auto-kill zone doesn't work because it's serverside. I don't see why they can't just add invisible walls at the bounds of the map and in the ocean. That's the only thing that can obstruct a disconnected client.
    • Up x 1
  11. adamts01

This really is a widespread and commonly occurring problem on Connery. VS had an entire platoon camping an Amp Station the other day during the end of an alert. This is something used by high BR players too. They're completely confident that Daybreak won't do anything even if they do get caught. It's pretty frustrating to say the least. And if hundreds or even thousands of in game reports do nothing, then just delete that insult of a feature.
  12. adamts01

You're probably right, those guys shooting from underground are likely just good players....
    • Up x 3
  13. Towie

LOL !
  14. csvfr

There isn't solid evidence of that, only that some other player has accused them for it.
  15. csvfr

16. Towie

Read my thread - yes there was concrete proof of someone flying underground (pictures) yet the thread was deleted.

Now check out reddit for videos of the same thing. I would post them here but inevitably, this thread will also be deleted (after all - deleting makes it go away doesn't it ?).

In summary: Absolute, complete, 100%, unequivocal, cheaters flying underground and still playing today. Enjoy.
    • Up x 1
  17. csvfr

Yeah I saw it, have actually experienced something similar on Cobalt on more than one occasion. Nonetheless I assumed the thread was in line with forum rules, which specifically says:
    and therefore gave a comment about the type of behavior in general and not whatever specific players you and the OP are complaining about. I stand by my original statement, that in general one sees more hackusations in yell chat than actual cheaters.
  18. Towie

Ultimately it turns into a moot point anyway - if DBG won't do anything about the 100% proof cheaters then what will they do about someone who gets called out time and time again in yell chat ? Diddly squat.

Sorry DBG you need to get brutal (SoE were). Anyone categorically proven to cheat - they're outta here. If there's no consequence, there's no reason to not cheat (other than the human instinct for fairness which thankfully, most people have - although this gets tested big time when they see others getting away with it).
    • Up x 1
  19. csvfr

The rules are also very clear that hackusations should be directed to the Customer Service and not the forums. Moderators of the forums are not the same as those in customer service. Forum moderators should react to violations of forum rules - which you give diddly squat about - and customer service should react to ingame stuff. So I see very little difference from you and the alleged cheaters as both violate the rules of the avenues they are in.

Complaining about cheaters here is like going to the hospital to report a theft, it is the incorrect communication channel. I would rather not have the customer service scourging the forums for proof of hackusations. Instead direct what resources they have towards the cheaters that are reported and proven to cheat ingame.
  20. adamts01

One is a benefit to the community and the other a detriment. Stop being ridiculous.

It's proven time and time again that a squeaky enough wheel can eventually get grease. I've argued for particular changes on here that made it live. I doubt a dev ever read it, but maybe it rad repeated by the right person or enough people in the right places. Plenty of people read these forums, and convincing enough players to join your cause goes a long way.