What is nanoweave good for now?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Eternaloptimist, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Eternaloptimist

I have recently converted to flak armour for all classes that I play regularly (which excludes LA and Max). The reason has been firstly the increase in explosive spam and secondly the commonly expressed view that maxed out nanoweave only gives you protection from one or two more bullets.

But I have also heard (and respect) the view that only nanoweave makes sense for LA - that flak is not for them. Is this becasue nano does good or just that flak is a waste of time for an LA? (Obviously, nano would be better than running with nothing - I get that).

Generally (and given that they cost the same to cert up) I was wondering if there really is a good case for nanoweave armour versus flak now and whether it was a better option in the past than it is now?
  2. Demigan

LA often are often on higher ground and they have an easier time avoiding vehiclular explosions or getting off the floor and away from grenades and mines. This is why Nanoweave is better for them.

As for the rest you should pick what you think is best. If you constantly encounter explosives go for flak. But you know you'll find some infantry to fight somewhere to shoot, so question is: what do you die more than 50% of the time off, bullets or explosive weapons?
    • Up x 3
  3. Demigan

Oh and another thing about MAX kinetic armour. It's much more powerful than nanoweave.

MAX Kinetic armour raises bullet resistance from 80% to 90%. This looks like it only adds 10% bullet resistance which seems neglegible. However, standard MAX's have 80% bullet resistance, so at worst you get 20% damage from a bullet. With max kinetic armour you only get 10% of that damage, which is half of that value. With maximum Kinetic Armour you double your hitpoints against bullet weapons!

Proof:
    A weapon deals 100 damage against you.
    Without kinetic armour you reduce this with 80%, so only 20% damage remains. 0,2*100=20 damage. A MAX has 2000 health, so the weapon needs 100 bullets to kill you.
    With Kinetic armour the same weapons damage is reduced with 90%, so only 10% damage remains. 0,1*100=10 damage. So the weapon needs 200 bullets to kill you, double the amount! This makes Kinetic armour super-B for assaulting dug in infantry. HA's can dumbfire you whatever you do, but every class uses bullet weapons and most HA's are using their LMG's more than their RL's.
    • Up x 7
  4. Zombo

i am running a shield capacitor/resist shield heavy, and flak on everything else, don't ask me

nano weave is useless against skilled enemies who always go for the head, and completely useless against snipers
    the only thing i could understand using nanoweave is if you somehow never experience explosive spam in an area... yeah, not very likely
    • Up x 1
  5. DarkStarII

The thing with nanoweave is that it only saves you from one, maybe two bullets.
  6. LodeTria

Well it's good vs bads who go for body shots, but vs people who for the head it's not gonna help at all.
    ASC, Flak or Bandoleer are the main choices now. I personally run ASC on most things because the 4 extra seconds feel so long when you take ASC off.
    • Up x 1
  7. JustBoo

Well, for one thing, here's what I do. While playing infantry (most of the time), I run away from those bouncy little red things that skitter across the floor on occasion. They tend to explode and hurt ones toon. I'm amazed how some just stand there and let a grenade explode right next to them.

Also playing infantry, when I see a tank, I try to get out of it's line of sight so I don't "get exploded." I leave areas quickly where tanks are just farming infantry IF the other players do not respond with AV maxes and rocket launchers. I can't fight a gaggle of tanks alone. One guy defiantly standing on a hill against 5 tanks isn't going to end well.

I get blown up on occasion sure, but I try to avoid it as much as possible. This seems obvious right. But I mention it, because I see people not doing that.

So, nanoweave for me. Most of the time.
  8. Liewec123

nanoweave is my "go-to" for infil (stalker and wraith-flash driver)

also it stacks nicely on heavy with NMG,
    NMG gives you an extra 700 health, nanoweave increases that by 250 hp (without headshots)
    so you're getting an effective 1950hp with NW up from 1700 with just NMG.
    • Up x 1
  9. LodeTria

Grenade indicators are often buggy and you explode from nothing.
  10. DarkStarII

Agreed, I walk onto them sometimes.
  11. Azawarau

I tried explaining this to a friend who is generally more intelligent than i am (Especially with math) and he said i was wrong

Still wondering what was on his mind
  12. Moz

Only time i play nano is my Infil with an SMG "survival" (nano + stims).

IMHO, this setup you should never really be experiencing any explosions in combat. Basically because you are that close to the enemy they would have to be dropping nades at their own feet / a tank would need to be shooting at his own team.

Even in this situation there is valid arguments for other suit slots.... My personal faves would be AP or GB + EMP.

Quick question:

Infiltrator, does the NAC stack with Nanoweave?
  13. Demigan

I hate this sentiment. Going for headshots is good, but in any game with COF, recoil and trigger-discipline mechanics going for the head does not guarantee the best TTK.
    I have long ago switched to aiming around the neck of high on the chest. Recoil will then help put the bullets near the head if I don't control it enough. COF will launch most bullets a the chest, some at the head for extra damage and a few next to the head. If you aim for the head COF will cause many more bullets to move passed the head, meaning shooting for the neck, which earns you about equal chance to hit the head as aiming straight for the head with the added bonus of chest hits, is a far better tactic.
    • Up x 3
  14. DarkStarII

Nope.
    Atleast from my minimal testing anyway.
    • Up x 1
  15. Corezer

No
    • Up x 1
  16. FieldMarshall

I run flak on everything. Being able to deny OHK cheese feels too good.
  17. Corezer

What people don't get about nanoweave is that those 2 or 3 extra bullets are 2 or 3 extra chances for their aim to come off or for their cof to bloom or in any way for them to start missing, the effect of shooting a target for longer being harder is something that grows exponentially.
    • Up x 3
  18. Pikachu

Feels so good to not have to worry about mines. :) You also get to be the guy who survives that c4 that killed all your team mates. Play medic and you can revive them all. Rocket podders have much harder time killing you. Survive hit from AV mana turret too and some rocket launchers. >:3
  19. oTec

Flak on medic/heavy/engi, nanoweave on LA. Don't play infiltrator but for counter sniping, so ammo there. Never run ASC since it's not a passive effect and therefor not active 100% of the time.

Also

I hate dying to infantry farmers and random grenades.
  20. LodeTria

I'd consider neck/Upper body targeting as "going for the head", and body shots being middle/lower chest & legs shots.
    • Up x 1