[Suggestion] Just make headshots ignore the heavy shield

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Bonmortical, Apr 23, 2015.

1. AxiomInsanity87

"Apparently, you feel that we are playing a First Person Headshot Shooter. Or perhaps we could really make it street cred skills "legit" and make it a First Person Eye-to-Cranium Shooter (either eye), then we can chase off the entire playerbase except for 1% 1337 Aimers and aimhacks. (maybe Eye-to-Lower-Edge-Of-Helmet, Exposed Face side only... and only if they have an open Face Helmet; if they have no Helmet then it's still Eye-to-Cranium; if they have one of those fancy Full Head Cover uber armor looking player studio helmets then they might take even less damage than the body)"

I laughed so hard that I woke the missus.

Brilliant.
    • Up x 2
  2. zaspacer

A mega budget game SHOULD be balanced around noobs. How the heck do you think it's supposed to make it's money back? Designing it for the 5% of the potential player population is Revenue Model Death.

I am ALL for designing a game for BOTH Noob and Hardcore/Skilled/Whatever. But you gotta have the Noobs in there for a big budget game, or your game will die.

I'm also all for creating systems to allow segregation by players skill (1 server/continent type for noobs, 1 for hardcore/organized/whatever, and 1 for mixed): give players the opponents that they want to play against and who are sharing with the game system they want to be part of.

Why does the PS2 New Player Experience Stink: because of people like you people. "a game shoud not be balanced around noobs" = "a game should cater to hardcore/you and die slowly as it hemorrhages players who it is not made for, then disappear when the hardcore/you are done with it". You guys sound like trust fund kids.
  3. AxiomInsanity87

I don't think it should cater to the hardcore at all, just not the scrubby cod/bf rubbish trickling in.

Newbs are fine, whiny scrubs no.
  4. ne3zy

Look at competitive games like DotA, LoL, CS or even SC, are they balanced around noobs? no. But do a lot of noobs play to these games? yes they do.
    I'm not asking to make PS2 skill ceiling ultra high (even if it woudln't bother me), I'm asking for it to be more balanced because HA at the moment (and for 2 years atleast, since I play this game) is broken.
  5. AxiomInsanity87

I think you're broken and still haven't gotten good in 2 years, not even average good.

Sources - your whining about nerfing a classes role.

Maybe cod or bf is more up your street or how about dota 2?, Maybe even league of losers?.
  6. ne3zy

So you realized you're wrong so your reply is that I suck, lol. BTW even if it was true (and it's not) it has nothing to do with the topic.

If you think a HA with 2040 HP against infantry fighting another class which has 1000 HP (or 900 in the infiltrator case) is fair then it's not even worth I waste my time discussing with you.
    As I said, I don't have much problems killing HAs but it's not because they are balanced, it's because most of them are noobs, whenever I fight against a HA they already have an advantage over me before the fight even begin, just by having twice has much HP has I have.
    But when you fight against a skilled HA that's where there is a real problem because unless you surprise him and begin to shoot first you'll die, and even like that, he'll sometimes survive the initial burst, kill you, and get all his life back with the medical kit.

Also, I'm whining about a class role? Please tell me what's the HA class role then. Because what I can see is their actual role is to kill everything while having almost the same (or the same didn't check) effective HP has a MAX unit against infantry. That's not a role, that's being OP, their real role should be to be an anti-vehicule class, be it against air or ground, but at the moment they are anti-everything.

SOURCE: Playing heavy assault and fighting heavy assaults.
  7. Erendil

I'm absolutely, unwaveringly, 100% against letting headshots ignore the Overshield.

Headshots already have their damage multiplier applied to the HA's Overshield. That is enough of a reward. And right now the Overshield is the only defense in the game for infantry against an OHK BASR round (aside from, ironically, the infil's cloak).

Simply reducing the Overshields health pool a bit (while reducing its health drain/loss while active) would be a much better solution.
  8. Alarox

This won't decrease TTK unless most of your shots are headshots.

In order to get a significant benefit you need almost nothing except headshots...

Ex: If a HA has 1000 health beneath the shield then there will be no difference unless you deal >1000 damage from headshots.

Is this not obvious?
    • Up x 1
  9. repairtool6

But imo that is exactly why this is a GOOD suggestion. It is situational and SKILL based. It is not a flat out unconditional 'nerf HA' suggestion. Get those headshots = get that win. Even for us all.

It evens out the headshot meta which is very biased in HAs favour ever since that Nanoweave-change from over 1 year ago. Evens it out across all players and all classes. This is all good.

PPL need to understand. Assuming most ppl wear nanoweave-armor headshots effectively does MORE than 2x damage.
    Having overshield exclusivly alliviating this is the biggest issue.

Just my opinion
  10. DCWarHound

Heavy is fine as is,they are supposed to win in 1vs1 head on situations.
  11. Czarinov

This is exactly how one fights HA right now. It's the only way how to win against HA "abusers" (unless you outsmart him, but that's a different story).

There is a lot of noobs playing CS. Funny is those noobs have better aim than average PS2 player. I don't think the problem is in the percentage of 1337 players. I think the problem is that most players of PS2 are lazy people. Those people don't really care if they win or lose, they just need to peef puff.

I think everyone can get better. Enough so the proposed change of overshield nerf would not unbalance the game for them.

I also understand your point. It would be best if there was some separation of players possible. Maybe Koltyr will help a bit.
  12. qiray12

Lol like this is gonna help you, when i get jumped as ha 1/10 will actualy aim for the head 9/10 will just miss 20 bullets of theyre 30 round mag.

Last one dies and claim that ha is op, they startup forumside2 and go play there since they are better in that game.
    • Up x 1
  13. Goretzu

No one that can reliably 100% headshot is currently complaining about HA, I 100% guarentee that.

So I'm unsure as to what exactly it would achieve really. :confused:
  14. Bonmortical

Rewarding players who aim well a bit more when facing HA, nothing more nothing less. You don't need 100% HSR for it to make a difference.

A full nanoweave /nanomesh or adrenaline heavy for example, takes -

143*.80 = 114.4
    500 sheild + 500 health + 700 overshield = 1700 effective health

114.4 * 15 = 1716 damage

So if I'm doing my math and have my numbers right, it takes 15 body shots to kill a fully certed heavy, 13 for 167 tier guns. It would be well worth it to go straight for headshots with many guns to bybass that. Hell, you could even miss more shots than you land and it could still be worth it just to get kill via headshots.

It at least gives players a feeling that they have some counter to the ability, and a bump in effectiveness for slow RoF guns vs. the shield.

Plus, it's only 4 headshot kill vs. 6 as of now w/143 dmg guns, which is more than reasonable right? You can kill other classes with only 7 bodyshots after all.
  15. Goretzu

It's a rather faulty premise though.

People that can headshot HAs reliably are not the ones currently complaining about HAs, you'd be lucky with ninja-like reflexes to get the shield up in time if someone is 100% headshoting in you in CQB.

So if you can reliably headshot HAs, you are currently killing them (and likely everyone else) and it achieves nothing.

If you cannot reliably headshot HAs, then this change won't help you in the slightest and it achieves very little.

If SOE/DBG wanted to change HAs, then they'd do much better just PS1ing them, that is:

1) Give them a base -10 to -25% run speed penalty (I forget what the PS1 difference was now).
    2) Increase their base hitpoints significantly above LA/Medic/Engi (or their base damage resistances).
    3) Either remove the shield altogether or just make it protect against AOE and nothing else and have no extra run speed penalty.
    • Up x 1
  16. Bonmortical

I see 4 vs. 6 headshots to kill as a fairly substantial change, personally. You can still lose vs. shielded heavies even with decent accuracy and aiming for the head currently, this just makes it less likely.

But if you feel they should nerf them further I won't argue.
  17. AxiomInsanity87

The game has defined roles and is based around team play.

Your whiny opinion is invalid.
  18. lindatropa

ok.... um... take Sirius SMG + Suppressor.. and go agains NC HA... i want to look how much Headshoots you will make till die
  19. Iridar51

Not a real solution, but it's the least they could do.
  20. xMaxdamage

this.
    whiners did not whine for 2 years, now the sky is falling?
    • Up x 1