Where's The Flak?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Darthjackn, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Darthjackn

• Up x 1
  2. Demigan

and people say that Small Arms is an effective way to kill ESF /s

But still, holy crap. You met that dummy jackpot. I've only seen it twice before in all my years of playing, and once I wasn't even on the controls.
    • Up x 1
  3. Kristan

Jeez, I'm amazed how much kills PPA able to get for one clip. Banshee could only get a couple. :(
  4. CNR4806

To be fair, I don't think most people even bother to shoot ESFs with small arms in the first place.
    • Up x 1
  5. Kristan

Yup. Once I've shot down a reaver with Trac-5. Hackusations after were delicious. :D
  6. HantuDuppy

There isn't a point to shooting at ESF, as it barely scratches their paint. At any rate, looking up just gets you killed by opposing ground forces. The obnoxious level of power that the game devs have given air-to-ground farmers like you is the reason I don't spend money on this game.
  7. Demigan

How? How long ago?
    At one point a long, looooooong time ago I dropped down on a Mosquito and killed it in one Magazine of a semi-auto shotgun. But last week I got into an aerial battle with a Scythe, I had drifter+Claw (pump-action shotty). I unloaded 2 entire magazines at near point-blank while the scythe pilot ineffectively tried to shoot and ram me at low speeds, then he flew away heavily smoking but not burning.
    (btw, 10 pellets per shot, 6 shots per magazine, 2 magazines shot, 130 damage per pellet=15600 damage)
    Last I checked, a pump-action has more damage per magazine and more DPS than a Trac-5, how many magazines do you need to kill a Scythe?

Also, here are some test results from the VR room with the Gauss Saw at point blank:
    MAX: takes around 50 bullets to down (bodyshots no headshots), 50*200=10000 damage
    ESF: Takes around 60 bullets to down, 60*200=12000 damage (which indicates that my point-blank shots with the shotgun still had a big enough COF to miss some pellets, or that he was wearing Composite, or that the bad hit detection kicked in)
    Harasser: takes around 110 bullets to down (One clip puts it in burning), 110*200=22000 damage
    Valkyrie: takes around 170 bullets to down, 170*200=34000 damage (which shows how ridiculous it is that people complain about small-arms fire against Valkyries, but ok)

Trac-5 shots required to kill ESF at point-blank (yes this is approximately, not the actual effective health of an ESF):
    12000/143=83,91. Since you can't shoot ,91 bullets it's 84 bullets to kill. That's just a bit more than 2 magazines.

That looks a bit easier, but I bet you weren't at point-blank were you?
    At halfway between max and min damage you would need:
    12000/127,5=95 bullets=2,375 magazine, assuming you hit everything.

You need to reload twice a long reload of 3,7 seconds, and you have an unload time of 3,2 per magazine. So it would have taken you
    3,7*2+3,2*2,1 = 14,12 seconds point-blank
    3,7*2+3,2*2,375 = 15 seconds half-range.

You are telling me that this guy allowed you to shoot him for 15+ seconds straight, that he didn't activate a Fire Suppression in the meantime, and that he didn't try to get away at any point?
  8. Kristan

Quite long ago, few months. And I won't say that I killed him by my own.

That guy just hovered low next to Mani Biolab northern outpost, distance between us was somewhat 20m. He wan't even smoking, yet I decided to shoot at him for schidts and giggles. Suddenly he went burning and I got the kill. Maybe something hit him along, I saw no rockets, shells or flaks. Though guy decided that I had a damage or ROF hack. ^ ^
  9. Demigan

There's a bug that suddenly an aircraft hangs still in the air, while the actual pilot is just flying around... Maybe that happened? I've seen it before, and people fall over themselves to shoot it as you have just 2 seconds to an entire minute or more to shoot them for free. It could be that you saw him hanging still in one point, and someone else saw him hanging still at another. You both shot it but you got the kill. Potentially it was something like a small explosive that can't OHK the ESF, such as Falcons, Comets, Pounders or whatever that did the most damage and you finished it.
  10. Liewec123

and thats only because everyone thinks that way, imagine if all of these people started shooting the ESF, it'd be dead in seconds!

i ALWAYS shoot them, and the majority of the time i'm using a shotgun lol, i've ended up killing a few but obviously thats rare,
    what usually happens is the moment they hear the bullets hit and see the hit marker appear on their screen they wimp out and start evading.
    • Up x 3
  11. orangejedi829

Sorry, but this is the reason people hate ESFs. Biolab fights are among the most chaotic and enjoyable in Planetside, and nothing is worse than some ESF farmer coming to ruin the fun by flying around shooting all the infantry for his farm. Sure, you asked, "Where was the flak?" But the thing is, nobody wants to pull flak. It's not fun at all to spend 450 nanites on a flak max just so you can run out and shoot two bursts at the ESF before the pilot runs away at 12,000mph to a different fight, leaving you to stand there and do nothing.
    So essentially ESF farmers force the infantry to either abandon a fun fight to go pull flak, or simply put up with being farmed.
    Besides, is it really that fun to do nothing but repeatedly fly downwards at a platform and shoot at the dots? I'm guessing no, and that most, if not all, ESF pilots do it only for the joy of increasing their KDR; another reason why they're pretty much universally despised.
    And it makes sense to farm with an ESF, because you can get a crazy-high number of kills, as seen here, with very little risk of dying. Even if someone does finally pull flak, not only will you already have gotten way more kills without opposition than most people would argue is fair, but it's woefully easy for an ESF to simply escape the danger and go somewhere else that doesn't have AA yet.
    No offence intended, it's just that people have been asking around here why ESF pilots are so universally despised, and I think this video illustrates it quite well.
    • Up x 3
  12. Ballto21

I can top it.

Once upon a time i was camping howling passes terms, one of them magaged to get past me, pulled a mossy, and began looking for me with lolpods. He just hoered there, so i exploited terrain and shot him down with a beamer. many batteries were consumed, stupid bailassault didnt think a stalker could do that. Its going into my beamer video.
  13. Kristan

"Screw the feathers, I want to see that!"
  14. BlueSkies

If there are no infantry to shoot at, I will always shoot at low flying ESFs. Actually managed to get the last shot on a Mossy with a shotgun once as it tried to strafe a biolab landing pad.
  15. Danath

Uh, yeah, Hossin. This is where you want TR Strikers

On the small firearms topic I've got ESF kills with sniper rifles and pistols :D And oh boy they do run away when you start shooting the MCG with extended mags.
  16. Czarinov

it is an effective way to counter ESF. Effective doesn't mean 1vs1 though. Also it doesn't mean standing in the open screaming "here here I will own you with LMG". Multiple times I moved to uncrowded place to wait for farmer's esf to come close and then unloaded my gun. The least I would achieve is SMOKING ESF FLYING AWAY. Farming just stopped by ONE guy. The effectiveness applies to such situations as in the video. Ammopad full of infantry, noone's paying attention to farming ESF.

If those noobs on platform turned around and started shooting at ESF, it would be gone in less than a second. Stop being a victim. I'm against farming, but god, if platform full of people are lemmings - it's their own fault.

Where are people shooting at ESF? Nowhere. Anyone just camps the entrance and shoots inside the biolab without any purpose.

I think the biggest problem of most players is they don't realize that their small-arms can deal quite some damage to farmers. By the way, making farmer fly away several times in a row takes his fun away and he loses interest.

Let's stay at 15 seconds. 5 people -> 3 seconds. Or he flies away. The game is about taking the point and holding it, not KILLING the esf. It's not your main cert or xp income anyway when playing inf. Again, there is no need to be a victim. Lolpodding / AI farming is easy. And I'm all for making it more skill based. But please, the only players who are farmed are the ones NOT bothered to shoot back or change their gameplay tactics.
    • Up x 1
  17. orangejedi829

The reality is that you'll likely never get the PS2 masses to work together well enough to consistently target farming ESFs. Which makes the whole, "Small arms fire is an effective counter if everyone shoots at the ESF" argument irrelevant in practice. Therefore, the only 'real world' way to effectively counter an ESF is to pull something that you can use to counter the ESF without relying on the cooperation of all the other players around you. I.e., flak.
  18. Darthjackn

I agree with your point, but they can pull a anti air rocket launcher if they have it unlocked. Also it was a stale mate there so I decided it was time to end it! ;)
    • Up x 1
  19. Mxiter

In takes something like 150 bullet to destroy an ESF.

Not an hard deal considering weapons ROF and numbers of players on each base.
  20. Czarinov

The reality is I always made a farmer run. Don't be a victim and step up your skills. It's not even that hard to aim for an ESF considering you're on the ground and stationary. Try Esf 2 Esf shooting.

Every battle won in Planetside 2 is because of some sort of cooperation. Be it zerging or clear thinking where to and how to attack or teamspeak squads. Players should learn and not complain "oh, but noone team works".

Besides this is not about teamplay. It's about not being a lemming. If you were farmed in this situation and you did nothing to stop the farmer, you deserved to be killed.

Stop making excuses.

Yep.
    • Up x 1