[Suggestion] Medium Assault -- The ultimate MA

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Mausmane, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Mausmane

Ok. I'm SURE It's been mentioned before.

But all I see in this game infantry wise are SUPPORT CLASSES

There is no logical dedicated combat class. HA's and rocket launchers are everywhere, and Medics and Engineers are too -- support classes with combat capabilities.

I've wanted to see a dedicated, well rounded, Combat class. Resort medics and Engi's to their combat capable support roles, tack on a 10% speed penalty to HA, and maybe perhaps Increase the spread a bit and damage slightly of their LMG's so they can actually function like a fire support class instead of the defacto rocket launcher toting super infantry they are now.

Medium assault would be simply:

Primary Weapon: Assault Rifle
    Armor: More armor then Medic Engi and LA and less then HA
    Equipment: Capable of carrying two grenades/Mines or what have you. In general able to carry more combat specific utilities into combat then any other class (2 nades would make me drool).
    Special Ability: 'Adrenaline Rush'. Speed, and Damage Resistance temporarily increased. Recoil temporarily decreased.

There you have it. A middle of the ground, Non-utility pure combat class that isn't some absurd morphing of an existing support class (everything else...) into the basic infantrymen.

And hell perhaps even a minor boost to XP for killing enemies to reflect its pure role a pure combat non-utilitarian foot soldier.
    • Up x 3
  2. ColonelChingles

[IMG]

I don't get why PS2 couldn't have made classes that make sense.

The PS2 Infiltrator is a silly sniper/scout combo. Split that up into an actual sniper and special operation class.

The PS2 HA is way too versatile and probably will get a spinal disorder soon with all that gear. Split that up into a dedicated LMG and a dedicated AT class.

And of course add in a new Assault class, which should be the majority of players (LMGs should be reduced in offensive value so they are a niche support weapon).
    • Up x 8
  3. Mausmane

That's cool too.

Of course I think a sniper and a recon class would both use the infiltrator suit... Since they're both stealth classes. So I don't see the need to split that up if the only real difference between them is the weapons used. Light assault can also be seen as a spec ops type class as well.

An SMG toting anti-tank class is a nice idea too.

But I want my darn AR toting adrenaline boosting MA.
  4. wrenched

Umm..HA?

With your description, why would anyone play MA over HA? Same base movement, weaker guns, less ammo...less AV...

Would you really trade insta-win shield and rocket for temp sprint? I guess LA's do but it's vertical.
  5. Mausmane

10% movement penalty to HA? Larger cone of fire for LMGs? More grenades/combat utilities for MA? The ability to use the versatile AR over LMGs? A damage absorption, reduced recoil, sprint speed boost for MA?

Would you play MA?
    I'd play MA
    --Buffalo Bill
    • Up x 2
  6. Iridar51

Why would there be a dedicated combat class? What, other classes are here to collect flowers and cook meals? All classes are direct combat classes. Lineage 2 style class system with dedicated healers and dedicated buffers would be terrible for an FPS game.

Combat medic is your medium assault, same as in the Battlefield. Just because you carry a med tool doesn't mean you're not a combat class. ARs are a best rounded weapon class, access to C4 and self healing provides a quite capable and rounded combatant.
    • Up x 18
  7. CursoryRaptor

*glare*

Y'know what, Iridar? Maybe I'm getting tired of fighting an endless war for a forgotten purpose.

Maybe after making 9,776 kills I feel like I deserve a little TLC.

Maybe I'd like to just sit down with a VS or an NC and have a polite conversation over a warm cup of coffee and a hot meal at a table with a few flowers in a vase to lighten the atmosphere a little.

MAYBE I'd be more than a little upset if anybody were to ruin the chances of that happening just because they suggested on the forums that Medics stop tending the flower bed I set up and Engineers stop learning how to cook filet mignon!!! :mad::mad::mad:
    [IMG]
    • Up x 9
  8. ColonelChingles

The newer Battlefield games, but not the older ones.

I think 1942 and 2 had many more classes, and 2 had both the Medic and Assault having assault rifles. The only real difference was that the Assault got the UBGL (which didn't totally suck) and a bit more armor.

It worked fairly well. People played the Assault class for killing things. People played Medic if they were in it more for the heals and revives. You didn't really have the PS2 problem of Combat Medics who couldn't care less about your near-mortal wounds simply because they were in it for the rifles.

Now now... remember the last time we let you cook?

[IMG]
    • Up x 7
  9. CursoryRaptor

...what? I thought it was supposed to look like that.
    • Up x 1
  10. DrPapaPenguin

If HA and LA are not dedicated assault classes, then I'm a one legged ballerina. Their abilities only affect themselves - they are assault classes, as the name suggests. A MA class would be redundant, a medic fulfills that role already. And no, I'll never pick an AR instead of an LMG.
    • Up x 2
  11. Liewec123

i think HA fills the "soldier" role pretty well already,
    hence all the "nerf dem all!" threads in the HA section of the forum from idiots trying to 1v1 them :p
    • Up x 1
  12. FateJH

The decision to designate Rocket Launchers as a Tool always confused me. There's no reason I can think of to do something like that. It's a weapon. It has ammunition like a weapon. Some of them have scope overlays. You could have just said this is the "'Rocket Launcher' slot" (which it is).

Tha main point of this thread appears to be that people are more interested in forcing Planetside 2 to conform to soldier class distinctions of other warfare games rather than do what it wants to do. That those other games tend to do this to control weapon saturation - how many times I've watched Bluedrake try to get someone to pull AT in Project Reality only to find the game saying that too many kits are in the field? - while Planetside 2 revels in the said saturation just induces further confusion.

To borrow the OP's distinction, though, the only classes that are pure shoot-stuff are Sniper and Assault, and possibly Special Forces. Every other class has a contribution that does not involve direct combat or is non-combat. Heck, even Sniper is good for relaying information about distant troop movement, but that only makes sense in a game where gathering intelligence about farther-off enemy activity was something you couldn't do on a map or was actually rewarded. In any case, there is still a high count of "support" classes.
    • Up x 2
  13. Lord_Avatar

As pointed out already - Combat Medic = Medium Assault.

ARs, C4 increased staying power due to AOE self heal, yet still less durable than a HA.

Works for me.
    • Up x 1
  14. Czarinov

For me every class except Engi is a combat class. :)
    • Up x 1
  15. Goldmonk

Now remember letting Iridar in the kitchen. I think that was the reason the TR set up such strict rules in the kitchen.
    [IMG]
    • Up x 5
  16. Casterbridge

Pssh, my sticky grenade bandoleer, unlimited ammo and various explosives say differently, if they give us the new AV rifle and it replaces the turret instead of my main gun I'll be happy camper.
    • Up x 1
  17. BlueSkies

Carbines, Shotguns, and SMGs. AP and AT mines. C4. Turrets turrets turrets. Unlimited ammo.

Its a combat class for anyone that likes to make things go BOOM
    • Up x 1
  18. 00000000000000000000

Better weapon than light assault.

more armor than Light assault

A natural utility which LA (and other classes) must spend a suit slot on...

Faster, Tougher and more accurate than LA. (Faster may be subject to terrain and/or if the speed boost is better than drifter jet speed)

Yup totally middle of the ground and not straight better than LA in every category.
    • Up x 2
  19. Czarinov

Yeah, that's true, totally forgot about it :D

I somehow thought of combat class as AI class :D...

Carbines, shotguns, SMGs - combined with jets LA has - it has much more usefulness. If I wanna use any of those - LA or inf (Smg) will make better use of it. Carbines are not good weapons alone without additional perk of Jets. I like ARs and LMGs. But carbines in the game are just meh to me.

An AI turret is kinda good in some way... but it's a sitting duck kind of gameplay. I also didn't think of it as a AI combat situation :). Tho it can rack up some nice kills.

PS if I need sundy gone (hoping it doesn't the shield defense) - Engi is my go to class :D... 3 mines and a sticky...
  20. Iridar51

I don't really count that as a problem. Problem is not in medics not healing, problem is in people expecting heals. Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
    If medic was split in two classes, then people would complain "nobody plays healing medic".
    • Up x 1