Flight Controls Changes - Need Feedback

Discussion in 'Test Server: Announcements' started by PS2_Luke, Mar 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perpender

It feels very clumsy, also, i bound pitch up and down to my mouse, and it seems incredibly slow compared to live.
  2. Chimaera

Spent a few hours in a Scythe, mainly hover frame.

Mouse control feels a bit less responsive than live, seems to have a bit of a non-linear response, but it isn't too bad.

The big issue is with the key-bound controls, i.e. yaw and pitch up/down.

Yaw seems to be slow unless also moving the mouse (as noted by others), making aim inconsistent.

Pitch Up and Pitch Down binds seem to have acceleration applied, which makes a big difference in handling if you are used to transitioning between mouse and Pitch keys as a natural part of flying. The Pitch keybinds are used when you want to go straight to maximum pitch rate, so having it basically start pitching from 0 and then ramping up kind of defeats the point of using it.

As others have noted, both Yaw and Pitch keys are affected by the Joystick Sensitivity slider. I tried playing with the Joystick Deadzone slider, this may have helped yaw and pitch key response, but I couldn't confirm whether or not it really does anything.
  3. SDF1

Slower than live.
  4. marcos77

The truth is that it shows a little more improvement and reaver is something more stable.
  5. Minimike3

I'm not that experienced in flying but mouse control does feel less responsive. I mainly flew a Reaver with hover stability, and I noticed that when I rolled with the mouse, it continued to roll for about a second before stopping. However, I did manage to pull off a reverse maneuver, something which I struggle with on live. Don't now whether this is me improving or the new controls though. I think it would be nice for an option to yaw with mouse instead of A and D, and roll with A and D, not mouse.
  6. TRooper2013

Slower, almost laggy controls. Not at all nice. Please don't damage the PC controls just for the console kids.
    • Up x 1
  7. llM4DM4Xll

Well, I made the flight test in SCHYTE and found the smooth and precise controls and the response time is much faster. Just did not like something, when I go down to repair it and not landing slowly, most of the time he turns to tip the head and explodes, I thought that was pretty bad ... in the gameplay was very good !!!!
  8. PasitheeVS

Apart from all the Bugs ofthe Testserver that aren't on the liveserver... so much I can't list them...

I didn't feel much difference to the actual flight control, the hovering maybe became stronger.
    I feel that I like the new flight control more, but can't say where is the difference.
    Maybe better controller/joystick support?
  9. Mikte

Flying is mostly the same but it does feel different. I've tested with all the factions ESF's and the NS vehicles except the Galaxy.

-----ESF-----
    --Mouse input seems smoother compared to live, less choppy and the distance I need to move my mouse is the same whether I move it quickly or slowly. On live it feels as if Mouse Acceleration is enabled making it difficult to have consistent aim.
    --The key board controls got worse. When adjusting Pitch or Yaw with the keyboard it’s very inconsistent. Sometimes it changes the yaw and pitch slowly, sometimes fast and it seems to lag. I press and hold the button, it slowly turns and when I release it quickly changes after I let go, like it’s trying to guess where I wanted it.
    --I've noticed doing rolls has become near impossible to pull off constantly. A midair 180 degree turn for example, it feels like it’s trying to resist going upside down. I need to both move my mouse and hold down a button in order for it flip over and turn.
    --Lastly is concerning the Dogfighting airframe. When un-equipped, the above notes are accurate. But when equipped, the turning/rolling is like lightning at any level. Extremely difficult to control both using the mouse and keyboard.

-----Valkyrie and Liberator-----
    --The changes to the Valkyrie hit it hard; its movement is very sluggish, risky to pull off flips because recovery is at a snail’s pace.
    --The Liberator got the same hit but doesn't seem as extreme. It’s slow, even for a Lib. Doing flips is possible, and seemed easier to do in a Lib than a Valkyrie.
  10. Runegrace

I've been flying joystick since before O:MFG because there was a promise that joystick support would be improved, and in the meantime have been using a 3rd-party program to swing it. So how did you guys do? Well, after playing with sensitivity sliders a lot I got back to a LIVE feel. Which doesn't mean "good", just unchanged, and I went back to using a controller program to provide better control. The things that controller is missing (and I'm sure on the PS4 version as well):

Better input curve. If the sensitivity is high enough for dogfight-turns then it wobbles too much in fine aim, and if low enough for fine aim no dogfight turns. It feels like the input curve is "y=x", when I really wish it was more like "y=x^4" between 0..1 (full tilt). I want a larger "soft" zone, but for the edges to then kick to full power for turns. The closest I get to this is to have separate sensitivies for regular and zoomed, because then when I do need to make fine-aim shots I can hit the optic key and calm the craft down. For note this sensitivity change only applies to my pitch, I find that I always want yaw and roll at max since they're much more controllable. And yes, gunner positions should use vehicle settings instead of aircraft controls.

Give back analog vertical thrust. This used to be possible back before you did the PS4 code merge, now it's just full-power even if you slightly hold the triggers down. This was extremely useful for controller as it gave you another way to tune aim without pitching, which due to that input curve is a lot more wobbly.

The other aircraft seemed mostly fine. The Valk changes are welcome, though I'd still prefer to see Squad Logistics a passive/automatic thing because besides being super-useful, it would keep people who get into my Scout Valk from jumping to their deaths. Logistics is as much a must-have for Valks as AMS was for Sunderers.

And if we're on the topic of balance stuff, give the 'noob' ESF noseguns a slight velocity buff. They're still pretty lackluster and making the 'noob' guns require less leading I think is a fitting way to make them stand out more.

Hope this feedback can help you guys make the controls better. Not just for PC, but the impending PS4 release, too!
    • Up x 1
  11. SolEVE

pitch up and pitch down feels clunky imo.
  12. Shadestorm

I much prefer them on live. They feel unreliable. The pitch sensitivity seems to be slower and then faster at times, and it feels like there is input lag at times. It feels too slow, and less precise with upped sensitivity. Some aircraft are better than others.

The Liberator is almost okay, so long as the high G performance is maxed it isn't much different, but it needs to feel heavier.

The Valkyrie has a good feel, I think where it's at is pretty accurate to live.

The Mosquito, however, needs to have the same ratio of sensitivity. There really should be some sensitivity sliders for roll and pitch in the game.

Is it not possible to just keep live settings how they are, and change the way input works only for PS4 version? I really hope that nothing changes because flying is 75% of why I play PS2, and I like the feel of it now. If anything changed I would just like some more options.

I bought a joystick to fly in PS2 with but still much prefer mouse/keyboard because there is really a lack of modification. I would prefer not using 3rd party programs to adjust controls.
  13. Shadestorm

Please take Runegrace's advice!

Also, which program have you been using for Joystick? I bought one specifically for PS2 flying, and perhaps SC later on.. But I was pretty disappointed with how PS2 was with a joystick. It was exactly that problem, high sensitivity was great for maneuvers but very bad at aim, or low sensitivity gives vice versa. :/ Need more options!
  14. Jump Jets

I would love to test the flight controls, but where are they?
    Keybinds for Pitch was only working in a Esf last night for me.
    Log on today and I have no Yaw or Pitch controls in any aircraft.
    I tried clearing and rebinding them, relogging... still nothing.
    Busted out my controller (maybe it will work since that what its supposed to improve) set all keybinds, and still didn't have Yaw or Pitch controls. WTF?!
    PS I did see here that input was diverting to mouse so I made sure to not move it even a tiny bit.
  15. dinonerd8

Flying feels the same for me, heck even maybe a little smoother but that might just be because its running on pts and not live servers. the flight control tutorial was always staying on side of screen, even when turned off tutorials.
  16. SamReye

This may be a re-post, since I don't have time to read all of the messages on this thread, but I noticed that turrets on aircraft use inverted controls instead of staying normal. I use inverted controls for flight but not for turrets; it's probably a bug associated with the new controls.:confused:
    • Up x 1
  17. ChipsAhoyNC

Well i tried the reaver whit Hover lvl3 and it fells extra sliguish i dint really liked it but i think i can get used to it.
  18. GaryGibbon

I don't like the new changes; especially with regards to the ghunner control changes.

It just doesn't make sense! keep what's on live, please!
  19. AlexR

I've tested both liberator and mosquito. The only one annoying change i found is that now A-D buttons work way too sensitive. Now i can't normally adjust my aircraft to shoot enemies, especially infantry. It will make my air life even worse tho.
  20. Demigan

All I can say are what others already said. You can't do tiny adjustments for your aim as your plane will simply go half a mile off it's target due to the plane not stopping after releasing a button.

I also had a problem where my plane was on fire, and after repairing to full the alarm was still going telling me I was near-death, I kept this after exiting the plane a few times and even after letting it get set on fire again to repair up.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.