Why the new tank changes are a bad idea

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Wobulator, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Wobulator

1. AV range decrease
    This is way too much. I'd be fine with pulling it in to 300m or 350m. 200m, on the other hand? That's terrible. Essentially, this means that the only way to kill tanks well will be with HAs, because using an AV mana turret from 200 meters away just screams "Shoot me! Shoot me!"
    Also, I like how the lancer (which is essentially hitscan all the way up to tank render range) is completely unchanged. Pounders, Falcons, and Comets will be basically unchanged, because it's hard to use them past 200m anyways. Ravens, Vortexes, and Fractures, on the other hand, will become absolutely useless. The main attraction of them is that they can be used from far away. If you have to get within 200m to use them, you'd probably be better off with the short-ranged AV option. Essentially, only HAs and LAs will be unaffected.

2. Armor increase
    Well, I guess HAs are useless, now. It already takes something on the order of 5 dumbfires to kill a Prowler or Magrider from the front. This change just means that standard dumbfires are worthless and that the Deci is barely usable.

3. No 2x c4 insta-kill
    Aanndd... Now LAs are useless too! As if it wasn't already hard enough to maneuver around to get within spitting distance and hoping with all of your heart that the tanker isn't completely blind, deaf, and has the brain size of a pea, now all of your hard work is for nothing! Woohoo!
    For all of you complaining about LAs jumping out of ESFs, you don't really have a leg to stand on. ESFs cost 350 nanites. 2x c4 costs 150 nanites. An MBT costs 450. 350+150>450. By a lot. LAs jumping off of cliffs, on the other hand, has never really worked, or at least against anyone not HE spamming doorways, in which case they deserve to die. AP tankers don't, or at least really shouldn't, be sitting still for that long anyways (except for Prowlers, but what the heck were you doing anchoring under a cliff?) People running up to you and c4ing you on flat ground means that you should probably go hang up your mouse and keyboard and walk away in shame.

Essentially, what this means is that tanks will be ridiculously overpowered until SOE realizes that this was a bad idea, and then overnerfs it to the point of uselessness *cough*Liberator*cough*
    • Up x 14
  2. ColonelChingles

Huh. You mean to say that just by spending an extra 50 nanites (about the cost of a single frag grenade, which I suppose some people might consider "a lot") an LA should win against an MBT? So spending resources should mean that one player has a significant advantage over another player?

So... what sort of advantage should a 450 nanite MBT have over a 0 nanite infantry player? I mean if 50 nanites alone should hand a LA the win, a 450 nanite MBT ought to be able to take on two platoons worth of nanite-free infantry!

Or are you suggesting that we make all HA and Engineer rockets cost nanites per shot? 100 per rocket sounds fair to me.
    • Up x 6
  3. zombielores

Thing is using that tactic is like a consumable, tanks are not consumables and they can be used over and over again until it dies.

Using the ESF C4 fairy is pretty costly for the kill of 1 or 2 tanks, personally I think you'd be better off using hornets or rocket pods to kill the tank as it'll be more efficient and rewarding. Or if your just using the ESF as a taxi then the squad logistic valk works the same except it's slightly more durable and cheaper.

At worst it's a 250 resource lost minimum [valk taxi] or a 400 lost maximum [killed after dropping 2 bricks].

The problem is actually not the resources, it's a bunch of stupid mechanics that are allowed to stay and just so happens to allow this to happen.
    • Up x 2
  4. Blippy

Remember when tank splash against infantry got nerfed to hell? That was SOE wanting to reduce vehicle <-> infantry lethality across the board. But like everything else, they only released it half-done and forgot about it, which meant that only tanks got nerfed. Now they're finishing it and giving infantry their own round of reduced lethality against tanks, but infantry are now crying because they got nerfed the same way tanks did.
    • Up x 18
  5. Flag

... bring a friend? You're going up against a vehicle that (should have) has 2 people in it. Alone.
    Seriously, the LA whine has been absolutely staggering over on reddit, and now here too.

But I digress.
    Instead of holding on to your cheese-assault ways, use it as a jump-off point to ask for something -else- for the LA to have. You know, besides the jet-pack.
    • Up x 2
  6. BobSanders123

Again, the devs changing multiple variables all at once so X becomes overpowered or near useless. I don't understand why they can't release very small patches one by one until the playerbase feels like X is balanced.
    • Up x 5
  7. Disconsented

How is it fair that 2x bricks of C4 can **** a 450 nanite tank?
    • Up x 2
  8. VonStalin

If you got that close to get c4'ed you deserved it.
    • Up x 9
  9. MrNature72

Agreed. And 'situational awareness' is not a good excuse. You're a tiny little blip and I have unidirectional tunnel vision. And you can fly. And my third person doesn't let me aim well enough to hit you.
    • Up x 2
  10. FieldMarshall

1. Godbuff.
    2. Overnerf.
    3. Mix it up with random, wierd, unneeded changes.
    4. Repeat

Dont worry. The tank buffs are only temporary.
    • Up x 4
  11. OldMaster80

Imho these changes could be on if only they had completed the resources system. The problem is tank columns cannot be taken out of the game because vehicles can be spammed too easily without interruption.
    For the sake of this game resources need to matter more and players must learn to use them wisely. As long as one can pull one mbt after another buffing tanks again is bad bad idea. Back in the days when tank were stronger we had cooldowns and a different resources system.
    • Up x 4
  12. iller

I'd prefer to know why it's fair that a single Brick can "***" a 450 res MAX suit that can't even drive away at high speed. ...Better yet, why a single brick can be detonated mid-air above my head when I'm playing Medic and still OHK me without warning from 10ft up when I'm wearing Flak armor. ...yeah those fairies usually get 2 or more kills for the price of one brick in infantry fights. Then there's no one left to rez the MAX suit which is the only trade-off it's supposed to have compared to a tank.
    • Up x 1
  13. Tbone

Y
    Yes, finally tanks will be metal not paper ,and HA will be the tank hunters as they should be.Maybe medics will do THE healing again and engis do the repairing again.
    • Up x 3
  14. WUNDER8AR

I'm not the biggest fan of the C4 nerf but we'll see. Best thing we can do at this point is to go to the PTS, try it out and leave our feedback.
  15. VonStalin

I think they are doing such drastic changes just to get old players back for test things out and probably stay for a while. When everything will settle down in a few months and players start to leave they will do yet another drastic changes to get players back for test things.
    It is the cheapest way to get old players back - you don't need new items or anything, just change some random numbers in balance and they will come back to see whats what. Reasonable balancing would't do that, they need to overbuff or overneff something to get attention.
    • Up x 1
  16. The_Blazing

I think people are getting too emotional about this. 200 meters is still longer-range than the average dumbfire launcher (which travels at 115 m/s, which means that to hit a tank past that range you'd have to lead and predict his course for 1 second, which is pretty damn hard).

HA having a harder time killing tanks just makes sense after tanks got a harder time killing infantry with the splash damage nerf.

Regarding C4 LAs... It's just sad that the only utility people see in the LA is as a C4 fairy. Seriously, that class needs some specific tool, like a spotter or something.
  17. Shatters

Just this. We had this infantry AV nerf comming for a long time, and you can be sure that its needed

If its a medic, engineer or even a HA, sure. But a LA? C4ing tanks is just so plain easy if there is any sort of high ground (either the base, hills, trees or a galaxy/valkery/esf), and then MBT main weapon cant even aim up high enough to kill the LA even if you do see him comming.
    • Up x 4
  18. Halkesh

1. AV range decrease
    2. Armor increase
    3. No 2x c4 insta-kill

So, as a lonewolf infantry in a small fight, it mean we can only redeploy to avoid being farmed ?

I would gladly accept these change if vehicle gameplay would be changed with this :
    -Vehicle now have 1/4 hp in shield and 3/4 hp in armor.
    -When the shield is active, the vehicle sill take 10% damage to the armor. (I got 1000 shield and 3000 armor. I take 1000 dmg : 900 on the shield, 100 on the armor).
    -Engineer and repair sundy can only repair the shield. NAR only repair the shield. Shield doesn't regenerate by itself, unlike infantry.
    -Only ammo tower can repair armor. It repair at the rate of 10% max armor every sec and can't repair a vehicle if a take damage within 12 sec.
    -Give "damage-xp" for rewarding the deterrence of the tank. (like when fighting aircraft) Only infantry and MAX earn it.

If needed :
    Take a look at AP effectiveness HE & HEAT about infantry farming.
  19. zombielores

The only time this holds up is sky ceiling LA drops so their on the ground on their screen before they even render.

Any time else it's mostly a situational awareness problem, tanks get thermal so any infantry hiding in bushes or trees are screwed even if they only show a sliver of hair you can Q spot them.

The most times you'll get C4ed is when your in infantry friendly areas where it's cramped with lots of cover and no object to splash your explosions on.

Then there's the fact each tank can deal with infantry their own way.
    -Magrider, your doing something wrong if your dying to C4. [Unless C4 sky ceiling drop]
    -Prowler, you get 2 shots to kill the infantry and not to mention the Vulcan is pretty decent at point blank AI.
    -Vanguard, your the weakest against infantry but you still have enough speed to escape, not to mention your shield can save you from C4.

Personally I think we change it to 55-60% per brick and solve some of the other mechanics like the gal drops that have safe fall from sky ceiling.

On a side note, tankers should be more afraid of being under paths of jump pads because LA can do the slingshot move and be on top of any tank within render distance of the 2 bases but since only me and maybe some other guy somewhere do it you'll likely not experience it.
    • Up x 1
  20. Shatters

Again, you couldnt be further from the truth. There are plenty of high cliffs in both indar and hossin. In hossin your usuall tree is already ~30m high, and in Indar there are a huge amount of cliffs that LA can just jump down from (and along with drifters make a no-ground-vehicle-zone).

And again, if you get killed by a non-LA c4, its situational awareness. If you get killed by LA c4, its often because you COULDNT even see them comming (the tank gun cant aim up far enough to look at the sky), not to mention that C4 can almost be trown like a grenade.
    • Up x 1