Automated turrets? Really?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by OldMaster80, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Nehlis

I main demo, and I don't have too much trouble with them, but the TF2 style sentries do not fit PS2 at all. In TF2 the sentry is used as the engineers primary means of getting kills. They're capable of racking up an insane number of kills so long as the engie stays with it and prevents sapping and preemptively stops demos. It requires some knowledge of the map yes, but once set up requires either a good spy, good demo, or a significant amount of coordination in order to kill one, nevermind a nest.
    The turret if implemented in PS2, should not be used as a primary means of killing over the engie's primary like it is in TF2. It should be a supportive defensive tool. Sure, let it instagib anyone who runs head on into an unchecked room, but it can't be the "sit there and baby sit the kill machine" kind of mechanic. We have MAX units for that already, and at the least that requires 2 players.
  2. Gemenai

Automated turrets are nice and so but i think they will be weak and clientside will hinder proper dmg output.
    Would rather like to see deployable shields ( you know, those ones you can´t fire through but walk through? )
    And those shields could maybe even add a flak armor bonus in a small area at max rank.
    Or maybe at max rank giving the ability to drop two of those shields ( with a cd between both like ammo package).
    Auto turrets kinda nice, but boooring o_O
    • Up x 2
  3. OldMaster80

Then I think implementing shields should be quite easy and quick compared to automatic turrets...
    • Up x 1
  4. Bixli

..wooohoo ..fear us greasemonkeys.
  5. Ixidron

turrets having sunderer like no-deploy zones is a bad mechanic, people will just destroy friendly turrets for the spot, an alternative is needed.
    • Up x 2
  6. OldMaster80

The alternative is scrap the sentry guns idea completely snd give us the deployable shield we have been requesting for 2 years and was already there in certification panel during beta.
    The idea of this new deployable is bad, they won't be able to balance it nor making it fun.
    • Up x 1
  7. m3talc0re

We had automated sentry turrets in 2142 and they were pretty damn awesome imo...
  8. AgentRed

This is going to be hell going into a biolab or tech plant XD
  9. Leeloo

10. Revengitali4

Portal 2 turrets would be perfect imo. They can only fire at 180-90 degrees in front of them, and are fairly weak.
    • Up x 2
  11. Bloodlet

I'll be glad to have my spitfire turrets back.
    • Up x 1
  12. DatVanuMan

How by God's name are you SO skilled in a MAX?
  13. Juunro

While that's true, virtually everything in 2142 was cooler then this game.
    • Up x 1
  14. MAXArmar

K/D = no measure of skill.
  15. DatVanuMan

I'm not looking at the K/D, man! You just increase your SPM each session by such a margin. Just yesterday you were 198-something. It takes me a couple of sessions to increase it by 1. Not saying anything here, man, but your stats are certainly impressive, even if it is your K/D:)
    • Up x 1
  16. SupaFlea

These Turrets would be quite nice addition to an Engies arsenal. myself being a PS1 vet remember them well, They were not potent enough to go head to head with any class as they were fairy weak but their main use was finishing off injured enemies/killing enemies lured in to a trap and early warning.

one crafty trick was a engie would lure you around a blind corner place a turret, it would do some dmg to you and the engie would finish you off with his primary.

It would need serious tweaks to be viable for this game as the TTK is a lot shorter in this game. maybe have it fire emp rounds, quick to drop shields but have a lot of reduced dmg vs health so rather than used for entirely for killing, is used for support fire, needing the engie to actually get the kills with his weapon but easier time if enemy already doesn't have shield?
  17. repairtool6

Im hoping it can work decent as a sundy-guard in those small random fights. So these fights can last a bit longer?
    Not many ppl are happy to stay behind and guard the sundy so it will always get blown up by a sneaky enemy. But maybe if someone drop a turret like this next to the sundy it would help with that
  18. Goretzu

I'd like a shield, but PS1 style turrets are very useful too, ideally I'd have the option to have both (well more likely either at one time).
  19. Ormadil

Ok, I am thinking about this development, and I can't think where I would put it in my loadouts. :confused:

I have the following;
    Point Defender: Flak Armor, Claymores, AI Turret, Shotgun, Frag Grenade
    Assault Mechanic: Grenade Bandolier, AI Turret, SMG, Frag Grenade, (Maybe this new turret here?)
    Sapper: Shield Capacitor, AI Turret, Tank Mines, Med Range Rifle, Sticky Grenade
    Mine Layer: Utility Pouch, AV Turret, Long Range Rifle, Sticky Grenade, Tank Mines
  20. SupaFlea

Instead of Automated Turrets, perhaps a better option for the Engineer would the the Defensive Fortification upgrades from PS1, Upgrading Base Turrets to better more formidable versions and getting some XP for from the kills obtained from said turrets and a portion of XP from the kills from the Max's they have healed, same as the Medics should have a lil more incentive to revive and heal.

Give the Engy the ACE tool again, allowing them to construct Field Turrets for any one of the same empire to use, Anti Tank Teeth(barriers or what ever you call them) to block direct access to courtyards from the vehicles until they destroy said Barrier and they could take a pounding if memory serves.

These are just my opinions as an old PS1 player, I don't play engy all that often unless I have to, just throwing things out there :)
    • Up x 1