Automated turrets? Really?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by OldMaster80, Oct 15, 2014.

1. vanu123

These add nothing to the game, sure they might be cool for a few weeks but they will lose their luster.
    3 things SOE needs to dedicate their time, effort, and resources on:
    1. Restoration of faction traits across the board
    2. The introduction of a true metagame
    3. Combined Arms, true combined arms.
    Sure these are what everyone wants, but instead of giving us turrets and shiny black and gold guns I would much prefer SOE to focus on these 3 topics.
    • Up x 4
  2. Takoita

I think Higby was talking about exactly this kind of thing during the latest 'Higby Pls' Twitch stream:

http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/c/5395271

It was somewhere in the latter third of the video, or somewhere thereabouts.

I was extremely hyped to hear about the things he'd mentioned there.
  3. Cesar Ottani

Auto-turret: meh.

Deployable Cover: yes, please!
    • Up x 2
  4. Borsty

This whole thing screams "increased CPU load" and that's why I don't like it. Apart from that, if you make the towers unspammable (can only have 1 up, really expensive or so) why not?
    Last thing this game needs though is s.th. that adds to CPU load, which is already the FPS limiter for 95% of players.
    • Up x 2
  5. TripleVasectomy

It will be very frustrating to be killed by an unmanned gun so expect a tidal wave of tears. Unless they are rocket turrets I foresee them being wrecked by every class, vehicle, and grenade type and causing tons of newbie "wtf killed me? Ragequit!" deaths. I'd also like to know if they have full vertical range of aim, because otherwise they are just free certs for light assaults. After a day or so all the heavies in the game will figure out that you can just hit the overshield when you round a corner in a low pop base and just rocket the things.
  6. OldMaster80

First of all I'm quite skeptical we will see these new deployables any time soon. Most of features are being postponed because large part of the team is focused on PS4 adaptations so we're likely not to see new features for some time.

Then I'm still 100% convinced this idea of the automated turrets is pure s**t. It could be ok for PS1, but TTK is too low in PS2 to implement sentry guns.
    Then I'd love to learn how do the hell they think to implement them. If my mind does not fail me, these turrets i.e. can't even be deployed indoor in PS1.
  7. Borsty

Imagine you sneak into an enemy base and find that the zerg that just left there has left 45 of those turrets around the capture point.
  8. Blackinvictus

I love the hell out of this idea. I seldom get on a turret unless its an AV one and the opportunity is just way too good to pass up.

With this thing, I can set it, forget it, and do what I normally do anyway with some possible bonus DPS.

Win win!
    • Up x 1
  9. KnightCole

Sit them at the bottom of the energy elevators and in bushes.....they will be annoying for sure...depending on how tiny they are.....
  10. I play by many names

The absolute last thing this game needs is more automated and lock on cheese. These turrets will be more of what already sucks the fun out of the game. The game needs less, zero actually, lock on and automated turret cheese and more interactivity. Why is it so bad to have everything be skill based? Why is it so bad to have everything require player input and thus be active and fun? Sony is wrong and has no idea what they really should be doing. Taking the game into a full player control direction. No lock-ons, only TV, wire, laser, and proximity warhead missiles/rockets. No automated turrets, but player controlled versions (the existing ones suck and need a revamp). If it was my game to do what I please mines wouldn't exist either, only C4 since it requires player input.
  11. Flamberge

CRAZY IDEA THAT MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT WORK INCOMING

Maybe, instead of auto turrets, give us the ability
    TO REMOTELY CONTROL OUR TURRETS

for instance, I could place my turret guarding the enemy spawn, and go to cover, and remotely fire and aim my turret. This might be a compromise that could work.
  12. OldMaster80

Sounds very fair that you expect to camp the spawn room while sitting somewhere else.
    Current turrets are more like deploy and forget.
  13. Tuco

20 mines, 10 spitfires, 20 motion detectors

Even if they didn't kill an enemy player that is 50 objects (per player) an enemy has to worry about spread out over a large area, exposing their position when they are destroying them, usually injuring, pinning and/or slowing them down.

That is a farcry from what we have in PS2: Boom! "Oh there goes all my mines all at once, I'm spent in this defense for now."
  14. ZZYZX

For those of you who seem to keep missing this point...

...automated turrets aren't new. They were in PS1, and they worked well. They were fun. Nobody whined about them.

Looking forward to it.
  15. DirArtillerySupport

25 mines, 15 Spitfire Turrets, 25 Motion Sensors, 5 tank traps, 1 Shield Generator and 3 field turrets....oh the fun we had.
  16. Tuco

I knew that's what I saw on those videos. It use to be 20-20-10

They must have increased it after I unsubbed, because the CUD EMP blast cheat and the cheese bang bus EMP blast made a mockery out of CE.
  17. DirArtillerySupport

Nah...it was an update in 2007 if you certed into an all in one advanced engineering certification. I think the EMP on the bang bus was a nice balance to all this extra CE. It only really killed explosives and the tank traps prevented the bus from accessing minefields and door mines inside the base. Besides CE didn't cost a dime and gave carebears something to occupy their time with when they didn't want to participate in gun play.

I miss my sub woofer parting my hair when blowing my EMP inside minefields.
  18. Tuco

Pushing a button to destroy all CE in a wide radius basically makes defense useless. It's irrelevant if CE 'cost nothing".
  19. FieldMarshall

I for one am happy we didnt get shields. Turrets sound way more fun imo.
    I liked spitfires in PS1, even though they were easily avoidable/destroyable and generally not very good against anything.