The New base shield system

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Diilicious, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Diilicious

bit early to REALLY judge it.. but first impressions?

I dont like the way it is on biolabs at the moment. ive yet to be at any other base with a significant shield presence, like amp or tech plant.
  2. Ronin Oni

Better than I thought it was going to be.

Still not ideal IMO, but it seems like it should be playable.

I thought they were going with only spawnroom type shields (owners can see through and shoot out, opaque to attackers) and vehicle gate shields as the only 2 types of shields... either of those would have been absolutely game-breakingly bad on amps and techs.
    • Up x 1
  3. \m/SLAYER\m/

Drive tank into the unknown
    [IMG]
    • Up x 12
  4. Nody

I'm not 100% sold on the idea that you can't see through them (esp. at vehicle spawns) but it do work both ways (i.e. they don't know exactly when you're coming through). Beyond that it makes it quite clear what should and should not go through (not tested if the Lightening Flak can still penetrate the lower shield; if so only thing I'd add to be fixed/changed due to the AV damage it can do).
  5. DatVanuMan

So, are they good for both attackers and defenders? Is the game better or worse with these shields?
  6. Nody

Well it makes it clear what type of shield it is for new players; better I guess in the sense you can "hide" as a defender what you're doing (i.e. they can't see you mass up 20 MAXes in there) but over all I'd go with a side grade. Visual queues are clearer (newbie help), hides what's going on (swings both ways and is partly a preference choice) so I'd go with a slight improvement because it will help new players; for more experienced players it's a side grade so to speak.
    • Up x 1
  7. DatVanuMan

Nice. Thanks for the info, man:D
  8. \m/SLAYER\m/

infantry spawn rooms - is ok. BIO LAB ground floor - it's BAD. you cant see whats going out there, if there c4\AT mines trap, and you can't see what inside, if someone blocks the way
    • Up x 5
  9. Crowne

Visually, but what about radar?
  10. DatVanuMan

Thanks! Well, note to self:
    1. Don't go to garage (Which I don't:p).
    2. Don't get vehicles from garage.
    3. Don't THINK about the garage.
    OKAY, I'm ready for this:cool:
  11. Morti

CAN'T SEE SHI*T CAPTAIN

I hate it. You have no idea if somebody's placing some C4 or mines just outside a shield you hid behind to repair.
    • Up x 4
  12. Nody

A dot is a dot; you don't know what they are except infantry of some sort (and at a Amp station for example you'd expect to have 10+ around the point anyway; if half are now MAXes in organized defense you'd not know as you can't see their outfit etc.)
    • Up x 1
  13. Ronin Oni

Honestly though, just poke your head out as infantry before grabbing a vehicle.

The situation isn't likely to change that dramatically in 10 seconds.
  14. Ronin Oni

MAXes show up as triangles, rather than dots....

so, erm... yeah.
  15. The_Blazing

Jesus Christ, how can this have slipped past testing??? It's kinda ridiculous, shields should be see-through for defenders. Can't they come up with anything more elaborate than opaque-transparent? Perhaps square, tight energy lines for total blockers and larger, lightning-like zaps for partial blockers?
    • Up x 2
  16. Degenatron

Personally, I'd prefer that defenders could see (and shoot) out of (what I'm going to refer to as) Core Base Shields.

My reasoning is this:

1) People complain bases aren't defensive enough. This would be a huge defensive buff allowing for uncontested control of large areas around the core of the base.
    2) As started above - players need to be able to see out when spawning vehicles - you can peek out of the shield and check and then have a mine tossed on the exit before you get your vehicle spawned.
    3) Transparent shields still block large projectiles - tank shells and rockets - meaning the defenders can't just sit inside and kill enemy vehicles.

It didn't "slip through testing". This is on purpose. Higby specifically addressed it in the "Higby Pls" broadcast. They want us to try it and see how it plays.

So you understand, going forward there are 3 choices:

1) Opaque on both sides - no one can see or shoot in or out. Enemy cannot pass through in either direction.
    2) Opaque on one side - Players can shoot and see in one direction. Enemy can not pass through one way, but they can "exit" or shoot "out".
    3) Transparent on both sides - ALL infantry can pass through and shoot through in both directions - it only blocks vehicles and large projectiles.

There are no other options going forward. You need to decide what you can live with. They are giving us the chance to do that.

They already had "more elaborate". That was what we had before. It was ridiculously confusing for new players.
    • Up x 2
  17. PurpleHIppo

Yay finally an end to spawnroom heroes sitting behind the shield and seeing everything outside ;) now you have to actually GO OUT AND FIGHT or fall back to the base behind and push back from there :D
    • Up x 1
  18. DatVanuMan

HA!
    Do you know how dramatic Andvari is? BRO, the place is always camped by Vanguards:p
    • Up x 1
  19. PWGuy93

Fine with the shield changes. Tested them out at various locations having another player shoot at me to verify which direction if any players can shoot.

I don't make a habit of being behind them to begin with though.
  20. \m/SLAYER\m/

^^this. old shields was confusing even me, you never knows, which one will protect you...
    empire should see through their own shields, enemy empires shouldn't
    • Up x 3