c4 vs fully certed MBT

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DQCraze, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Alarox

So you're better off attacking AV tanks than AI tanks as infantry? That's kind of my point. Certs are certs. You pick the easiest target regardless of whether or not they intend to farm infantry.
    • Up x 1
  2. Hatesphere

Its more then luck, it requires skills that don't involve "point and shoot" the only change it might need is to have the C4 actually have to still k to the tank to kill it, or give C4 more directional damage so you have to hit the hind quarter of the tank with it to get a kill.
  3. Hatesphere

That's how it will.always be, due to the mechanics of AI it's silly to think otherwise
  4. Alarox

If you think it is silly to think otherwise then why are we having this conversation? Eh, nevermind.
  5. Spoof

Needs more swearing.
  6. Schwak

This has bugged me for a long time. Why did they have to make 1 brick do like 80% of a MBT's health, like WTF. If you want 2 to destroy an MBT make them 50% each.
  7. Shootybob

I need to make a video of MBT's casually driving away from me.
  8. DocteurVK

Eventually, a "balanced" rework of C4 would make it apply directional damage modifiers to tank armor.
    And yes, a nerf to its AV raw power, while retaining the OHK with both bricks could help balancing ?

I regularly blow 2 vehicles in a row as LA. You just have to time your assault and wait the target starts smoking. Almost guaranteed kill.
  9. FateJH

In all the long time that we've had these sorts of exchanges, we've never really received or derived any workable arguments about why there is no MBT Defense Slot utility to affect C-4 resistance.
    • Up x 1
  10. DocteurVK

I figured it out when my mates told me this. IMO, C4 being affected by MBT resistances should be natural...

It rewards flanking (and much less rushing to the vehicle as fast as possible)
    It gives a chance to the tanker while retaining the OHK ability to also reward the C4 owner (only that he has to put both bricks on the rear)
    • Up x 1
  11. Nano(zip/zap)

Ok so LA with 2 C4 is better a taking out an armor zerg than a heavy with an AV rocket, yeah that makes a whole lot of sense. No it's Fing stupid heavys are the anti-vehicle units so why would their main weapon be so much less effective than a LA's utility item. LA specialty is their mobility not their DPS. How about nerf c4 all together and make the heavys' AV rockets actually useful against tanks. Put locked door over doorways on buildings and give LA breaching charges to get through the doors, wow you could add a whole new dynamic to the game and actually make the LA useful for something other than as C4 fairies.
  12. Movoza

Not this discussion again. LA has the easiest time putting C4 on a tank. Easy is a relative term. You need to cover the ground between you and the tank. You need to stay undetected the whole time, as detection nearly always means fail and often death. At the last moment, you often fly over the target. Flying in open space, visible for everyone, is the most vulnerable you are as an LA.
    So we search for targets that we can take with as little risk as possible. That often means loners. Less other tanks, less infantry who can spot us, and a target who is preoccupied with something else. That means that you have failed in many ways, or the LA just got plain lucky.
    Lets face it. With a tank you buy incredible power. That does not mean that you should be allowed to let your guard down. If you make mistakes, you should be punished. Just like everybody else.

This is really the worst argument I've ever heard. You sit in a tank that can kill any infantry with one shot. C4, proximity mines, AT mines, snipers, shotguns. All can kill infantry in one shot. Even in many other situations you are dead anyway. Any MBT coming from behind? You are dead. 2 hornet ESF? An AT lib? Dead. Just because you left an opening for an LA to attack you and kill you do you need to scream for nerf.
    • Up x 2
  13. cruczi

A Light Assault with drifter jets can in some situations take out tanks at a rate of about one per minute. A single HA with all the time in the universe can't even take out a single tank on his own unless the tank is completely caught off guard. HA are supposed to attack tanks in squads or as supplements to friendly vehicles. When you have a bunch of HA all attacking the same target, you get enough alpha damage per attack to compete with the same number of Light Assaults... but when comparing a single LA vs single HA, LA wins against armor every time
  14. Nano(zip/zap)

My point is that that should not be the case. LA's should focus more on the infantry and less on tanks while it should be the heavy's job to kill tanks after all that why they have the rocket launcher right? Or am I the only person that sees making a class for a job but having them suck at that job makes no sense.
    • Up x 2
  15. Hatesphere

LA will never be better at taking out a tank zerg then heavies. It simple really, heavies have the rang and cover advantage and can relaod rockets from ammo packs. LA group will be well out of resources before the tanks are gone. The heavies on the other hand will be able to keep lobbing damage at the tanks until they drive them off or they are killed.

LA with C4 is only an issues against smaller groups of uncoordinated tanks. Ie 2/2 "lone wolf" MBTs
  16. Crowne

I've been using top armor thinking it would help against C4. Does it not? I realize C4 anywhere but the top would still be deadly, but my guess is most of the time it's dropped on top.

The other thing is that with resources as they are now, it doesn't seem too hard to just pull another. I have a boost on though, so maybe that doesn't really apply to most ppl?
  17. z1967

I usually try to go for HE/HEAT tanks. Problem is I really can't tell the differences in the barrels because they look so similar. Problem is much more pronounced for the Magrider :|
  18. Pelojian

some ideas (one only)

1. Split C4 into two types (AI and AV) have light assaults not able to use AV C4. (AV for engineers and HAs)
    2. Reduce C4 damage to tanks so 1 brick only does 50% total MBT health damage to rear armor and less to the sides and front.
    3. Give tanks a C4 shield that when fully certed will absorb 3 C4 blasts
    One LA shouldn't be able to take out an crewed MBT from any direction.

and situational awareness is not a complete counter. a tank would have to keep an eye on 360 Degrees in a dome shape around them all the time to be a viable counter against a light assault.
    • Up x 1
  19. Yuukikun

Infantry with C4 won't go 600 meters away from a base to ruin a tank fight, you only have a chance of killing farmers because they are the only ones who have a high probability of staying at the exact same spot for more than 1 minute (time it takes to reach them (a big underestimation too)).

Then again, C4 has over 50% chance of not doing damage: http://www.twitch.tv/yuukikunvs/c/5213589
    • Up x 1
  20. Rovertoo

I'd be okay with a C4 damage reduction but ONLY if the Light Assault gets an armor-damaging grenade launcher.