So...where is the Heavy Shield delay nerf?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Paperlamp, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Lethal_Sting

Go on...

IRT: As a LA who preys on HA, they don't need the nerf.
  2. Teshrrar

HA have to be deleted from the game. That's my opinion. The HA spam makes me stop play the game again (added the FPS stuttering problem was too much frustration against the fun).

I'm the kind of player who like specialization, who like focus. I don't want to play an HA to have a chance against this stupid class. Besides we already have the MAX to do what the HA infantry job suppose to be. But we NEVER see an HA advancing the front lines, it is always a MAX + Eng and Med. HA is only used to win numbers.

I was so sick of try capturing bases with little armies for the both sides, advance tactically and with a good plan put enemies down, until this stupid class appear and just win. Done, just it. An HA appear and is an automatic win. I was dealing with that frustration for months, and when the stuttering started to hurt my chances with all the other classes, the fun was gone.

I keep watching the forums just waiting a day when SOE will balance things. I read they fixed the stuttering, and after update my client, I looked to Play button and remembered the auto-win class, closed the launcher and never opened it again.
  3. Ceiu

Stop missing (see also: get good; stop getting got).

Hit detection issues aside, there isn't any conceivable way that you can get the complete jump on an HA and lose without you missing a bunch of your shots. People love throwing around big numbers (700 health! 50% more health! 20% less fat!) to complain without putting these stats in any sort of context. The reactive shields give you 700 health* which loosely translates to three to five bullets worth of protection. Considering most guns that require multiple shots to kill kick out several bullets per second, this translates to roughly 1 to 2 seconds of protection. Even at MLG levels, reaction time + processing time (analyzing the screen to determine origin of damage) + latency (time before the attacker's machine registers the shield activation) + time for the HA to turn around and aim + natural decay of the shield makes up the majority of the protection time provided by the shield. Though, again, this is assuming you're not just taking potshots from halfway across the bloody world and are actually landing shots.

The only players that are entirely screwed by the reactive shields are snipers that can't reliably headshot. And I believe we can all agree that such an issue is their own.

* 700 health is never actually realized. The reactive shields have an activation cost of around 50-75 health/energy/units of power/whatever. I don't know what the exact number is, but the only way to ever have the full 700 health protection is to score a kill immediately after activating adrenaline shields.
    • Up x 1
  4. radrussian2

mad cuz bad.
    • Up x 5
  5. ATRA_Wampa-One

Uh no, it's because outside of the Terminus our Assault Rifles are really bad so who wants to play Medic with crappy weapons, and LA&Engineer isn't as useful as Medic or HA in organized play.
  6. vanu123

Heavy Assaults are supposed to be the front line fighter. As a engineer/LA/Medic primary player, I've never had a problem against HA, then again I flank alot and I go for headshots. HA are fine as is and should not be touched.
    • Up x 3
  7. iller

I admit it's a bit of an incomparable....
    but all 1v1 situations aren't really how we should be looking at balance anyway. HA's say this themselves CONSTANTLY whenever they bring up room Breaching. ....which also depends a lot on whether we're talking about the OLD base design, or the newer one with "warehouse" style rooms and huge "Hangar sized" doorways on their front and back. Point being: infiltrator /w an SMG only needs a split second of the HA not noticing him to uncloak, and then empty a clip. Assuming the NMG had even a 0.5 second delay. There is no 600 additional HP's against an automatic when the reaction time + delay exceed the TTK of the infiltrator's automatic weapon....which unfortunately doesn't help the stalker infiltrator one bit sadly and probably won't help dual-wield LA's once that's a thing.

It begs the question:
    why add this delay in the first place if all it's going to do is condense the already tight lanes of what's considered effective??
  8. Maljas23

This is me right here. If they nerfed Adren, ill be running resist 24/7.
  9. Scorponok

from what they say it will be nerfed, And people claim that HA is the most played class so..it will get hit...people leave that go for the medic..oh sorry i mean medium assault...90% that picks medium assault has no idea what the white tool is..But that will be the most played class until people cry about that...and it gets nerfed as well..its the circle of evil.
  10. NightEngine

If HAs are killing you a lot, you need to:

1. Get better aim
    2. Get better weapons
    3. Get a better computer
    4. Get a better ISP/connection
    5. Get some friends to help you
    6. Get some understanding of positioning and tactics

These are all much better choices than whining and demanding nerfs.

I still don't know why people think they should be able to beat the HA in a stand up fight. It's stupid.

I still don't know why anyone thinks this game should be about solo play.
    • Up x 4
  11. Lamat

This constant nerfing trend is making me not want to invest much time in this game anymore.

So currently LMGs are crappy (less DPS & accuracy) with lots of ammo compared to the other guns. Now you want to add a 2 second delay (I hear) to the shield on top of the already 0.4s delay lost to lag compensation, you are looking at 2.4s before your shield is up (best case scenario) while you fight back with in inferior gun. Is there even a gun in this game with a TTK of 2.4 seconds? The main reason LMGs are the way they are is to balance with the shield, so a nerf to the shield should see an LMG buff toward Assault Rifle performance.

I have no issues killing HAs with other classes, if they lose the shield I will dominate most HAs particularly with my Medic. All this talk of nerfing HAs comes from player egos, and greed for wanting all the perks of their support class while having similar frontline power as the primary soldier class. Wouldn't this mean a nerf to those classes other qualities? I just don't get this trend or why the developers all falling for this crap.
    • Up x 5
  12. miraculousmouse

The rise of the GR22/TAR/HV45 medic. Everyone will be crying about hipfire strafing medics with pinpoint accuracy weaponry, LMGs will be replaced for the most part by the SMG. This is why a heavy nerf is stupid. Completely ruins most light machineguns.
  13. Mezramort

However the Terminus is a great weapon. Unfortunately, it's 1k certs and I wouldn't want to play VS medic without it.

The Orion is also incredibly strong and I don't think you can blame people playing VS HA on lacking ARs, I would use the Orion on literally every class on every faction if I could - even over TR's AR's.

LMGs are not crappy.

DPS wise, yeah they're not on top, but let's consider for a moment that the Jaguar is one of the most used carbines on TR and has been for a long time. And on NC, the Carnage seems to be one of the most popular ARS. 143/750, or 167/600 for NC, is not bad DPS.

LMGs also don't have inferior accuracy, they mostly just have poor hip-fire. There's also the benefit of less drop-off than carbines, larger mag-size than AR/carbines, and high bullet velocity to consider. They're great at all ranges except hip-fire range, and they're very strong flanking weapons since you can kill several enemies before a reload. LMGs would be good weapons, shield or not.

If LA, Engi, and Medic could replace Carbine/AR with an LMG they'd probably be popular choices. I think TR would probably use them the least, but that's due to 40 round ARs and somewhat lackluster LMG options. I would use the hell out of the TMG-50 as light assault/engi though - screw the Cougar/T5.
    • Up x 3
  14. Lamat

One more point on this subject. People are complaining about how many people play HA, yet under the current circumstances they are the only class that scales well. You can't have a 1:1:1:1:1 ratio of classes in this game, that would be crazy.
    1) Do you even want to see that?
    2) Support classes support abilities are too strong.

If you've ever played a support class, you should know that a level of territorial competition arrises. One medic can revive a fairly large number of allies where another medic or even more can oversaturate the area making being a medic there less fun. The same goes for ammo drops and shield regen devices. This leads people to change classes to find something useful and fun to do.

Considering the above, is it so surprising so many end up playing HA?

Ok, well what about LA and Inf? Surely we could use more of those right? I don't know about you, but when I'm trying to be stealthy or flank, the last thing I want is some other infiltrator or LA close by giving away my awesome position. There just isn't enough room for 1 in 5 LA/infiltrators, nor do I think it would add much to the game if there were.

Does that make sense why most people play the generic soldier? Everyone has to find something of value to do in the game, and there are only so many niches to be filled before rank-in-file soldier is all that's left. The solution being presented is make all classes on par with the HA in fighting but it doesn't change this very simple fact. You would have to start limiting the support abilities to increase demand for more medics and engineers. LAs and infilrators wont change unless they add more things to the games that requires a skill of theirs.

Nerfing the basic soldier class is silly and just waters down the variety of the game. Check your ego, stop focusing so much on 1v1, kills and KDR and start enjoying the team aspect of the game. The over focus on the individual stats, achievements, directives, auraxium medals is leaching the remaining withering soul of the greatness this game almost achieved.
    • Up x 4
  15. Naivuud

I wouldn't mind the change myself, but I'm not calling for it either, I'm kind of neutral on it.

I don't think it would destroy the HA class, it would still have a rocket launcher, and special grenades. Bandolier + AV nades alone are enough for me to use an HA when a room needs to be cleared out. I don't think I would be terribly hindered by a delay on the overshield.

If the shields were changed to have a delay maybe HA should have access to assault rifles if people think medic will be played more due to using them.
  16. DHT#

Except 45% resist on whatever health you have left is still going to be significantly less than a full NMG / Adren would be.
  17. Disconsented

Crutch player detected
  18. Klypto

One more point on this subject. People are complaining about how many people would not play HA, yet under the current circumstances they are the only class that scales well. You should try to have a 1:1:1:1:1 ratio of classes in this game, otherwise that would be crazy.
    1) Why do you not want to see that?
    2) Other combat classes abilities would then be on the same level.

If you've ever played another combat class, you should know that a level of territorial competition arises. One combat medic can revive a fairly large number of allies where another combat medic or even more can oversaturate the area making it possible for a combat medic to do their primary job: killing people. The same goes for ammo drops and shield regen devices. This leads people to fight more instead of running around trying to find something to do.

Considering the above, is it so surprising so many end up playing HA? Why even be bothered with teamwork?

Ok, well what about LA and Inf? Surely we could use more of those right? I don't know about you, but when I'm trying to be stealthy or flank, the first thing I want is teamwork. With the small size of these bases, there just isn't enough room for 1 in 5 of anything, but I do I think it would add to the game if there were.

Does that make sense why most people play the "generic soldier"? Everyone knows the main purpose in this game is to kill the enemy, and having a default rank-in-file soldier that is better than the others at this without relying on their peers is making the choice obvious. The solution being presented is make all classes on par with the HA in combat ability to change this very simple fact. A HA would have to start relying on the support and teamwork of other classes just like combat medics and engineers. LAs and infiltrators wont change unless they add more things to the games that requires teamwork with them.

Nerfing the idea of "basic soldier" class is exactly what we are going for to increase the variety of the game. Check your ego, stop focusing so much on 1v1, kills and KDR and start enjoying the team aspect of the game. The over focus on the individual stats, achievements, directives, auraxium medals is leaching the remaining withering soul of the greatness this game almost achieved.
    • Up x 1
  19. Posse

It's funny, because with the nerf that all this people that don't understand anything about infantry gameplay want, a Medic would beat a HA in a straight up fight more than 50% of the time. A support class beating an assault class more often than not, makes perfect sense.

Not to mention that delay mechanics are horrible from a gameplay perspective. I remember when they decided to balance the Saron by giving it a firing delay, that was the most frustrating thing to use ever, it was just not fun at all (even if it wasn't underpowered)
    • Up x 2
  20. Kolbax

Easy. People either cant (or, in the case of the rare intelligent person with IQ above a brick level - who choose not to) see how things can have a knock on effect.

The nerf will come, just people dont understand the resulting whirlwind of changes that will be needed as a result. The game will be dramatically different and guess what? That 'new game' will have something that they think is wrong with it too and this will go on forever. The only thing that is achieved is the ruining of peoples gameplay and thus them quitting. Whether or not the 'changes' bring back a few old faces is debatable. They'll enjoy nerfed heavies for a while, then just die to endless medball zergs and a few air spammers and that will be them gone again.

As for the developers. Thats easy too. They are thick as ****. I doubt they have one braincell between the entire team. I'd rather let some of the posters in this community re-design the game from the ground up (and actually make a game that can handle the knee jerk nerfs that they make) than watch another bodged effort from them that just further proves how clueless they are.

Ah well. Nothing lasts forever :)
    • Up x 1