[Suggestion] In memory of fallen player Jay-993 rename J-908 Crater to J-993

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by NinjaTurtle, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NinjaTurtle

This is not my suggestion but an idea on Reddit that in memory of a player named Jay-993 who tragically died at work today that in his memory the base J-908 on Indar is renamed to J-993. I am reposting here to help get the support from the forum community that do not visit Reddit

It would be a very subtle change that would not stand out as odd to anyone not aware of the story behind the name and would blend into the game as if it were always meant to be

His character has already been promoted from BR93 to BR100 by the devs today in as a... medal of honor I suppose which btw is really cool

Original Reddit post
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/2gm4f1/jay993_passed_away_today_at_his_work_many_of_you/

Radar, please make it happen or at least direct Higby to the Reddit thread

You say the community shape the game..... well this is shaping the game and the content within.
    • Up x 34
  2. MotionBlured

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but why? Was he heavily involved in PS2 somehow?
    • Up x 9
  3. a-koo-chee-moya

Not sure if naming something after a player sets a good precedent, but it would be interesting.
    • Up x 4
  4. Kociboss

I dont see why anyone would have problem with that.
    • Up x 1
  5. ahandyman

I support this. Radar, please help us get this accomplished.
  6. Taemien

I'm kinda wondering the same thing.

I mean why open a precedence where every base should be renamed after players who have passed away? Its not like its a very uncommon occurrence.

It just seems a bit creepy to turn the game into a memorial yard. Though if I passed away, I'd want the Crown to be renamed after me :D
    • Up x 5
  7. Konstantinn

Maybe 908 wasn't pulled out of a hat either, BUT if it was, there's no harm in renaming J-908 to J-993
    • Up x 1
  8. GlueHead

My brother died last year, he played Planetside 2. His friends use to call him "Chicken of Doom", lets rename ""The Crown" to that.
    • Up x 10
  9. Hatesphere

if that true it is very sad and no reason to post such a bitter comment.
    • Up x 4
  10. asmodraxus

I don't want to sound insensitive but who was this person to me? How did he / she enrich my life? Why should the devs do this? Did the deceased work at SOE on PS1 or 2? Or is this just a heart warming exercise for those 10 or so players that knew the player and a minor inconvenience to everyone else that would have to download a patch for the renaming and wasting devs time on something to those that did not know the deceased as trivial.
    • Up x 5
  11. Allin

It's not going to bring him life, it's achieving noting. It's just lying to yourself, that have survivor guilt, that memory is as important as life. It's not.

And yes, I know very personal loss of a parent at the age of 11, after more traumatic even like work accident - so maybe I have more bitter, but realistic perspective.

Reason, is the best argument of all.
    • Up x 1
  12. Hatesphere

they added a fallen player into borderlands2 that i bet you didnt even know and i doubt it was any skin off your teeth. in the end its up to the devs.
  13. 7 Drunk Midgets

Did you even read the thread on reddit? He seemed like a really nice guy (and he played infil like me, would have been nice to talk to him about the class). Also, https://www.planetside2.com/players/#!/5428044677970245953/

You can't tell me that the "Status: Offline" thing doesn't seem sad to you, knowing that it will never say "Online" again.
  14. asmodraxus

Well no, but then I have never played borderline 2, also I note you haven're really answered my question of who was this player to me?
  15. MotionBlured

It sets a precedence, that's the issue. Are we going to rename a base after NoobPwner69 when he dies of a cheeto induced heart attack? No, so why should they rename a base after this seemingly random guy?
  16. Hatesphere

i'm jut saying I see no point in protesting this, its not even like the name is going to be changed to something insane, like "420 noscoperocktimedienoob1337 bluff"
  17. Hatesphere

that's the devs choice in the end not ours, and this isn't like setting a precedence in law, no one is going to bring this up in court. ether way I tire of auguring with heartless people. this is my last comment in this thread it is making me depressed. stay classy.
  18. z1967

I am sure changning two numbers in a base name won't upset too many people. I say go ahead with it.
    • Up x 2
  19. MotionBlured

Why does Jay get it, but someone else doesn't? Because it's easy? That's hardly fair.

It's setting a precedence for a customer relations kerfuffle.
    • Up x 2
  20. Alarox

I don't understand why you want to do this. What is this supposed to accomplish?
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.