The correct way to balance/nerf the Heavy Assualt Sheild

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Huggzsbunny, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Captain Kid

The difference is a tank or max is easily identified. Also on the mini map.
    An Engineer with extra cosmetic armor looks quite similar to a Heavy without extra armor. At 30 meters I can't tell half the time if I'm facing a Heavy before it's to late.
    A GOOD game makes classes easy to identify at least. Heavy should have the extra cosmetic armor as default, it makes him look very bulky and much easier to identify.
  2. Whatupwidat

Then turn up your LOD slider?

I've literally never had the problem you describe.
    • Up x 1
  3. Goretzu

So they get rid of the MAX and HA..... so there are only the LA, Engi and Medic.

Then one of them gets complained about so then there's just 2 and then just 1........ great game that would be!

I honestly don't understand, I don't expect to toe to toe with a HA on my Engi (I get plenty of HA kills on my Engi I just don't try to toe to toe them), but I know I'm support not the primary assault class.
    Medics are actually pretty competitive with HAs due to ARs and healing in a toe to toe sense with HAs, certainly given that they can heal others and rez.
    LAs probably (almost certainly in fact) need some lateral expansion (and I'd give them a base faster run speed without needing Adrenaline Pump), but a LA that could toe to toe a HA would basically break the game.
    Infs again I don't toe to toe HAs (and much like LAs Inf that could toe to toe with HAs would break the game), I do gank them with SMGs though and never have much trouble with it.

That's not to say they couldn't or indeed shouldn't change the NWG and Ad shields to function as proactivate shields (like the Resist Shield), but when I see people saying they cannot kill HA I'm pretty sure they aren't playing the same game I am. :confused:
    • Up x 3
  4. Bonom Denej

Fights that you shouldn't be facing in the first place.
    There are many reasons why it's like that. All those reasons are mentioned in each single thread talking about this issue and yet you seem to ignore them. All those reasons are summed in one word : Utility.
    It's like you think every other class in the game is an heavy assault without the shield and nothing more.
    • Up x 2
  5. ZomboWTF

you mean through a bright, glowing shield they pop when they see you? would that be a good sign to identify a heavy?

also they do look bulkier than other classes, it's not as painfully obvious as in TF2 but it's recognizeable
  6. Captain Kid

never. So even when you first started playing you could easily see if it was an Engineer with extra armor or a Heavy?
    You must be some kind of superman because half my teammates can't even identify friend from foe.
    Or identify if a friendly is an Engineer or Medic. (I still have issues when not seeing the backpack)
  7. Captain Kid

I actually meant right before they engage the shield. You know, when you already put ten bullets in them and they pop the shield and mow you down laughing maniacally.

They don't look (much) bulkier then an Engineer with extra armor. That's actually why I don't use extra armor on my Heavy to confuse the enemy.
  8. Valthis

You want the heavy shield balanced? Its simple go to the terminal and select Heavy Assault. Ta Da your even.
    • Up x 1
  9. Iridar51

This is ridiculous. So I shouldn't be facing 75% of PS2 population? And how would you suggest I go about my business without bumping in heavies? That's like playing chess while avoiding fighting with enemy pawns, lol.
    In a typical firefight that's how it is.
  10. BusterMcKnuckles

I supposed we should remove sniper rifles from the game because they provide an unfair advantage over classes with close range weaponry.
    • Up x 3
  11. ZomboWTF

yes, also every class should be able to carry medguns, limiting them to the medic is far to OP for teamplay /s
    • Up x 2
  12. andy_m

If you take on a HA as anything other than HA, in a straight gun fight, you should lose. That is why they are called "Heavy Assault."

The only way to beat a HA peep is to get the jump on him and deal some damage with C-4 or similar, or to head shot him with a BASR.

If you happen upon a HA as any other class than say a MAX then that's pretty tough, and only your superior skills will prevail.

This is how it should be in Planetside 2.

This is not Counterstrike.

I am astounded yet again by peeps who think that all classes should be equal.
    • Up x 5
  13. Bonom Denej

75% ? You're being ridiculous here. Where does this number comes from ?

Ha ha, yeah right... Medics just shoot at people without reviving their teammates and engies never drop ammunitions box or place turrets, SMG infil never sneak behind enemy lines and LA absolutely never drop C4 at places only they can reach.
  14. Akashar

Add ramp up time.
    Remove deplete over time.
    Remove intial cost.

Or:

Add ramp up time.
    Remove moving penalty.

Fixed, can we go somewhere else now?
  15. CipherNine

Engineers and medics aren't supposed to be main combat units. It seems you are trying to homogenize classes up to the point it doesn't really matter which one you decide to use because they are all equally effective at combat.

Are you trying to tell us you have a hard time killing heavy with shotgun or SMG with adv laser even when you get a jump on him?
  16. Iridar51

From your own post, lol.

Why does it matter anyway? Is the number what's important here? What if it was 67%? What about 25%?
    How is this related to direct combat? Unless you expect me to C4 every heavy I see?

You just don't understand it, man. Probably conc'd yourself one time too many. The problem isn't that other classes can't do anything that heavy can't. The problem is HA is the best class for direct combat, and in FPS game pretty much all you do is direct combat.
  17. Xasapis

Here's the thing. We currently have a version of the Heavy that works. The developers will not swap that with a version that doesn't (some versions that do not work were suggested in this thread), nor will they do it for a version that nullify the core of the class, aka being "heavy".

Being unfair fighting heavies does not qualify as a reason for change, not in a system based on classes.In any given situation, certain classes will have the advantage over others, like in nighttime (infiltrators), or in places with varied elevation (light assault), or in choke points (engineers) and so on.

If we were talking about a system where players would choose whatever modules they wanted to fit, then things would be different. I don't foresee this happening with Planetside 2 however.
    • Up x 1
  18. ZomboWTF

People here seem to have a real problem getting a half second advantage on someone...

or are really bad at aiming
  19. andy_m

Let's look at this from another angle...

In most sports today we have leagues. Those leagues, or called them what you will, are there in order to bring some kind of "balance" (I hate using this word here) across that league. What would be the point of organising a game between a football team from a premier division and one from a Sunday league? The outcome is pretty much guaranteed. Granted, every now and then we get a David and Goliath scenario, but that is rare.

In Planetside 2 we have the whole gamut of player skills. Some are good at flying. Some are good at CQ shenanigans. Some excel at tactial decision making.

We are all playing together.

I can play HA and I will still get beat, probably knifed to death, by an Infiltrator. That is because I fall in the low skill bracket. I recognise that and the last thing I do is come onto Whiningside and try to get some kind of "balance" due to my lack of skills.

What we have to do is realise that, and simply have fun. Even if it means you have to "main" as a MAX F.F.S.
    • Up x 2
  20. Whatupwidat

No I mean, I just fire at the enemy. I don't tend to stop and think what class they are - just shoot them ;P