[Suggestion] Make Phoenix rockets immune to small arms fire.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CompletelyDeadCoyote, Aug 31, 2014.

1. CompletelyDeadCoyote

I understand that in times when Phoenix could kill infantry in 1 hit, some defensive mechanism should've be given to them. But now, scince Phoenix is useless in killing infantry, why would they posess an ability to shot it's rockets? Phoenix allready is the slowest weapon in the game with lowest dps and not the highest dmg per shot - why make it also suffer from infantry fire? There's no reason for such downside for it. I get the necessety of vehicles and aircrafts having some defence from camera-guided rockets, so i'd say they should have the ability to shot down Phoenix rockets. But not infantry. It's just not fair.
    • Up x 8
  2. Matt879

I can understand why it'd be annoying to have your rocket shot out of the air by a bunch of HA's, and I wouldn't mind this being removed at all as a VS.
  3. lothbrook

Considering its range and speed, it is pretty stupid that it still has this downside, luckily most people don't shoot at them, but it still shouldn't be there.
    • Up x 1
  4. Zotamedu

I stopped shooting at them because it rarely did anything at all. They just kept coming and hitting whatever they were aiming or anyway.
  5. Auzor

Aircraft? AIRcraft? The necessity of aircraft having some defence from camera-guided rockets?
    Dear pilots,
    If you get shot down by a phoenix missile,
    your doing it wrong
    Sincerly,
    everybody.

If you get hit by a phoenix whilst repairing your aircraft on the ground: well, you landed too close.

However:
    I would much prefer that the missile be made faster and more manoevreable.
    Some heroes want to play missile-defense? GREAT.
    You stay around the corner, lobbing missiles, they look up aiming for them, posing for the snipers.
    Speeding up the missile would mean aircraft won't automatically outrun them, and they can actually catch up to downhill tanks.
    In addition, it would make hitting the missile actually difficult.

(spot the grammar-trollbait:D )
    • Up x 7
  6. Pikachu

Make it kill infantry again. We don't have the issue of invisible missile anymore.
    • Up x 3
  7. Forumside

8. Klypto

Why not all missles have this feature?
    • Up x 5
  9. ballZ Deep

I say leave it in, but give it a turbo booster and make it a little more manouverable
    • Up x 1
  10. Danath

All you have to do is not going straight to their faces and then is almost impossible to hit it in time.
  11. DatVanuMan

Indeed. The Phoenix is far too weak. If I could make it better, I would do this:
    _Make it deal 1,100 damage.
    _Increase velocity to be noticeably more than the velocity of a dumb fire launcher.
    _SERIOUSLY increase ease of handling.
    _Increase the amount of damage the rocket can take.
    BOOM. Here you go, NC:D
    • Up x 1
  12. DevDevBooday

Compare the stats (eg KPU) between the Phoenix, Striker and Lancer, then come back to me and say again its unfair and needs a buff.

http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/35002. Lancer
    http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/34002 Striker
    http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/33002 Phoenix

Heres a hint, the Phoenix is the one doing 50% better than the striker and 30% better than the Lancer.

Now the well balanced weapons normally differ by 5-10%
    • Up x 4
  13. CompletelyDeadCoyote

Iits unfair and needs a buff. :p

Also, since Phoenix is realy not the best launcher in the game, may be it's Striker and Lancer that should balanced up to be more competitive ruther then Phoenix to be downgraded to their efficiency level?
  14. Auzor

Some issues with that however: from when does the data come?
    Don't forget, the Phoenix used to one-shot-kill infantry, it used to be more agile too;
    Also, the Phoenix is arguably most effective against not-extremely skilled/advanced certed enemies.
    Yesterday, I emptied, at about 50m, my Phoenix missile magazine into a harasser, that had already taken some light damage. I had 4 missiles left I think, 4 hits.
    After hit 1 which caused heavy smoking, the 2 crewdudes got out, hid behind their buggy repairing it. After the 4th missile, it still was not destroyed. Now, I was moving forward during reloads, couldn't hit them with normal fire etc. But: I was shooting missiles as fast as I could.
    Now, at that point I was the only NC to get LoS and firing at it,
    and those dudes turned out to be quite high battleranks, at least one was after he ran me over once I was out of missiles (I was going for C4 at that point)
    --> they likely had maxed repair tool, it also looked like a "composite armor" harasser.

Even so, do you think it is "fair" and/or "legit tactics bro" to outrepair the RPG on a buggy until missiles run out?

Also: the striker has been updated, and guess what, I'm seeing it quite a lot.

As comparative stat, I also would be much more interested in "score per hour", definitely not "kills per user".
    The phoenix deals a decent chunk of damage against a vehicle. I would suspect this makes it more likely than say, a striker, to get the 'killing blow", thus generating more kills.
    As a 'counterweight':
    http://stats.dasanfall.com/ps2/item/50561
    the annihilator.
    Would you really say the annihilator is better than the current striker?

Why thank you.
    Just in case anyone would take any of that seriously:
    the lower "stat" damage of the Phoenix is, against vehicles at least, quite compensated by damage multipliers.
    So, if it dealt 1.100 damage, infantry would cry, but the multipliers would be adjusted, and AV damage would be the same.

By the way, now the striker can be dumb launched:
    http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/T2_Striker
    are those stats, and specifically the splash damage correct?
    With a 5 round magazine, 400 rpm,
    this thing potentially outperforms a viper for anti-infantry
    http://planetside.wikia.com/wiki/C75_Viper
    400 rpm> 240 rpm, less splash dmg range, oh well.
    Peek into a room, let loose your frag-rounds, hope some direct hit a max or something. Ouch?
  15. Foxirus

The Striker was recently improved. Current stats will take some time to reflect that improvement. As for you wanting to remove the ability to shoot down the Phoenix, I feel that would be very unfair to other factions. The TR and VS have to expose themselves to enemy fire to get shots off to targets. I have been seeing people shoot the phoenix from the safety of their spawn rooms will doing major damage to sunderers.

If you remove the ability to damage and knock the rockets off course, It would swiftly become OP and unfair simply due to the fact you can fire from complete safety and not need to worry about anything. That's the NC for you though, Always wanting the best with no trade off what so ever. Just look at your Iwin Shield on your tank. 6 seconds of complete immunity to damage with no drawback at all to using it.

Back on topic, There is a reason the Phoenix has been nerfed from its previous self, It was too powerful. It is at a good point in the game right now.
    • Up x 1
  16. Pikachu

Nerfed because people complained of being hit by a bugged missile that didn't render. No direct damage protection from flak armor back then either.
  17. CompletelyDeadCoyote

Read the title closely, pls. I'm asking to make it immune only for infantry weapons, leaving it vulnerable to vehicle and air weapons. Because infantry do not suffer from Phoenix, thus do not need defencive mechanism against it.

About safety - go try it yourself. Then tell us how many times you were killed (mostly by snipers), while standing still for up to 8 seconds with no awearness of what's going on around you. Also, pleas do report how many sunderers have you killed, firing from spawn-room.

And about "no drawback": standing still as a silly duck for 8 sec, having up to 12 sec delay betwin shots and being useless against infantry are not a drawbacks for you? Are you kidding me?
  18. Corezer

phoenix is fine
  19. TheKhopesh

I agree entirely.

As much fun as it is, it's generally impossible to actually kill anything with it unless you're stealing someone else's kill.

Infantry are fairly farmable if you find yourself in the right base defending from a zerg, but you can't often count on farming BR 15's or lower.

I would actually like to see it get an infinite ESF afterburner instead of a speed increase though.

More maneuverability is a must, as right now a stock galaxy actually has just shy of twice the missile's turning ability (it's just shy of 93% more turning speed).

Lastly, a thermal filter that could be activated/deactivated on demand would be nice to have for fighting vehicles, as often times I find myself missing the kill shot when they simply run and serpentine with a trail of blinding, billowing black smoke.
  20. Liberty

Unfortunately, that would require one being fired from outside a spawnroom which isn't likely to happen.