Wer dat PhysX at?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Zombekas, Jul 1, 2014.

1. ironeddie

Probably come back when they make it work for h1z1.
  2. Goretzu

I did, never had any crashing or perfomance issues with it (that is the game crashes no more or less with it on or off) - it did look great though.

However given that it won't be in the PS4 version of PS2 I really wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to come back, it may well never do so.
  3. MasterDk78

and thats why i never buy consoles... restricted to what it is
  4. Bonom Denej

I did when it was available and I'm waiting for it to come back. Because this game doesn't handle SLI, I was using my second GPU as a dedicated PhysX processor when playing PlanetSide 2 and those particles effects didn't have any consequence whatsoever on my FPS. So yeah, it's eye candy, but I like it and it didn't hinder my performance...

I'm even dreaming of a proper 3D Vision support ='(
  5. MostlyClueless

I would and did. Unfortunately sometimes the PhysX objects were all replaced with things like..... box pieces. Or magriders. Or aircraft landing pads. Leading to stuff like this and this.

http://i.imgur.com/nD7rJia.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/v6qunLI.jpg

And then crashes.
  6. FateJH

I'm sorry, Phyr, but the genius moment can not last.
    Quoth Wikipedia:
    The NVidia PhysX page expresses similar sentiments.
    The question is whether or how well the game recreates this GPGPU pipeline for graphics cards without CUDAs.

Ah. That explains that strange bug we used to see people demonstrate occasionally, where shots fired from a weapon would create a splash of intangible background terrain on impact, that it seemed only their client could see. I don't believe we've ever had the developers mention anything about why that happened.
    I also wonder if this is related to the "recent" client-specific ghost terrain floating over Amerish and Esamir.
  7. Chipay

Probably removed it so that the console version will look the same as the PC version.
  8. Zombekas

Though it's strange that they would invest in such a feature so much, even make a full trailer about it, and then completely scrape it :confused:

They were probably expecting PS4 to run Nvidia cards or something. Although it hardly makes any sense since Sony makes both the PS4 and Planetside2, how could they not know what hardware the PS4 will have?

It's very confusing.
  9. Moz

No no, those are not PhysX those are simply "features". ;-)
    • Up x 1
  10. Deil

I pretty much stopped playing all together when PhysX got disabled. Say what you want but there's something about returning to a game and having it look worse then before that makes it lose some of the fun for me.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great game and not bashing it at all, I just don't like having my graphical fidelity hamstrung. The explosion scatter and particles added a lot to the game visually.

For the sake of any who may be confused - PhysX refers to the "GPU Particles" checkbox in the options which has been out of the game for about a year now. It is an Nvidia exclusive feature that relies on PhysX.

Just my 2cp.
  11. Krayus_Korianis

No it does not. It's a proprietary product of nVidia when they bought out Aegia who first bought it from NovodeX. It's only available currently on nVidia products, however nVidia is helping the PS4 and Xbox One use PhysX with their AMD GPU's or APU's.
  12. BadAsElite

With the PS4 using a AMD card, I dont think SOE will prioritize PhysX any time soon. Mantle maybe one day.
  13. Krayus_Korianis

nVidia is allowing PhysX on the PS4 and Xbox One, BOTH sport AMD.
  14. Taemien

Do you have a source for that?

Its my understanding PhysX will disable if it detects an AMD card in system. Otherwise I'd love to use one of my old Nvidia cards to run it alongside my Radeon doing everything else.
  15. BadAsElite

I think we all knew that Xbox and PS4 were both AMD machines.
    While Mantle wont be a feature on Nvid cards?
  16. Maelthra

17. Krayus_Korianis

It's only going to be on the PS4 and Xbox One. (It's only a matter of time before it goes onto the Xbox One, as Microsoft won't like that advantage over them, seeing to their previous disasters.)
  18. Bonom Denej

It's still sad to see that we lose that thing since PU01. I liked that extra eye candy with no impact on my framerate whatsoever (second GPU PhysX dedicated, since SLI support is horrible on PS2)...
  19. Hunterion

I do miss them BIG time.

:(
  20. Tyrant103

PhysX load can be put on CPUs.