Dumbfire Velocity

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Klypto, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Klypto

What would happen if dumbfire velocity was increased 100%?
    • Up x 2
  2. doombro

I would be a lot happier.

The infiltrators I kill with them wouldn't be. :p
    • Up x 2
  3. LIKE A BOSS!

Another indirect nerf to the Magriders strafe.
    • Up x 2
  4. Flag

100% might be too much, but an increase would be good.

<-- Magrider driver.
    • Up x 1
  5. Klypto

What if Magrider strafe was increased?

I want to discuss all the problems that might come up with 100% increase. Right now, new players have only a dumbfire as their anti-vehicle option, and it sucks.
    • Up x 6
  6. Flag

Hm. You, like me know that it's not that easy.

But maybe.
    • Up x 3
  7. Klypto

This discussion isn't only for me. Why not?
    • Up x 2
  8. Hicksimus

I'd be able to mow down allies with increased effectiveness?
    • Up x 5
  9. Scr1nRusher

MagMower.

Can't kill enemies..... but can kill friendlies and randomly die by running into stuff.
    • Up x 1
  10. Flag

Well.
    How stronger does the strafe have to be to make it a meaningful buff wit ha notable effect?
    Do you buff the speed, or acceleration? Both?
    Then how does this bleed over into tank warfare?
  11. LIKE A BOSS!

If a slight strafe increase was also added I would support.
  12. Iridar51

The problem of rocket launchers used against infantry would arise. They are overused as it is, in CQC and against static targets. Doubling the velocity would make it much easier to hit moving infantry. This wouldn't be such a big problem if RLs were less effective against infantry.

Default dumbfires could be rebalanced - double the velocity, half the damage to infantry, same damage to vehicles. There, now all players have access to a launcher that's easy to use and "effective" against vehicles. Quotes are because it still takes 8 rockets to front armor to blow up a vanguard. Decimator still remains as an option against clumped up infantry.

The sweet part is that default launchers are free, so no one gets to cry about the weapon he paid for gets changed.
    • Up x 2
  13. Klypto

Assume tank vs tank warfare will NOT be impacted or does not exist for the purpose of this discussion.

Is one or the other more important?
  14. Klypto

Are there any changes you can think of that can keep the infantry 1 hit kill without reducing it's effectiveness against vehicles while at the same time preventing an increase in effectiveness or even reducing it?

What if the projectile started very slow and accelerated quickly to still be effective against vehicles at range, but still dodgeable by infantry?

Other ideas?
  15. Posse

If we're assuming that you remove OHK on infantry with that (because it would be ridiculous otherwise)

Pros:

-MAX becomes a bit less overpowered
    -ESFs can't hoverlolpod anymore
    -It can actually be used against vehicles!!!

Cons:

??????
    • Up x 5
  16. Flag

Essentially that.
  17. DFDelta

A distance-to-arm might also be an idea, even though I don't like it.

Make it not explode under a distance of 20m, thus dealing only reduced damage (not enough to kill infantry outright in CQC).
    You can still shoot at tanks (I asume most infantey vs tank battles are at more then 20m) and still shoot it at entrenched infantry, but no longer use it in CQC.
  18. Iridar51

As I laid out, rockets are used against infantry in 3 cases:
    1) to cheese an easy kill in CQC, let's say within 20m.
    2) To hit a stationary target (sniper, engi turret) or a group of clumped up infantry at range.
    3) To hit a moving target.

The change you propose would make it harder to hit a moving infantry target, and a moving tank. It will still be considerably easier to hit a stationary target, and won't affect CQC cheesing in any way, since distances are very short and rocket travel time doesn't matter much, unless it's REALLY slow, like 20m per second for first 20 meters.

Why would you want to keep the OHK though? It's not like it's a good mechanic, and the only argument in its defense is "it's a freaking rocket, it would be unrealistic to survive a rocket hit!".
    • Up x 1
  19. Inex

Beautiful things.
    • Up x 2
  20. PieBringer

Double the current velocity? That would be far too much.

Maybe something more like 30-40% increase, so that they have at least some reason to be used over lockons. (aside from being unaffected by flares, the slightly higher direct damage, and non-gimped damage versus aircraft.)