What's a Mag do vs other MBTs?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Kerplunk, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Kerplunk

In the coming patch?

With the worst armor, the worst Damage and the worst speed.

Vanguard IWIN shield and Prowler mega damage, is the Mag supposed to just strafe around and die to these other tanks?
    • Up x 1
  2. Frosty The Pyro

I would advice using the terrain and shooting them, then giggling with glee at their wreckage. Dont forget the giggling, its the fourth most important part of playing Vanu.
    • Up x 1
  3. jarree

Die, for about 3-4 months until the data shows mag is underperforming and receives some kind of buff.
    • Up x 1
  4. Lightwolf

Use your agility and the terrain instead of trying a slugmatch?
  5. a-koo-chee-moya

That would work, but now with Turret Stabilization, that won't really work.
    • Up x 1
  6. minhalexus

If SOE is blind enough to not see the major Magrider nerf, then this game is not worth playing for tanks.

Although I doubt that would be the case, I'm pretty sure SOE has something up their sleeves about which we are in the dark.
  7. Jetlag

As soon as prowler and Vanguard pilots realise how mobile they can be while fighting, the only magriders you see will be flaming.
    • Up x 3
  8. Sixstring

Isn't the Magrider the best performing tank? Whenever I see these threads I kind of assume it's not a serious post,anybody who has driven a Magrider has to know how easy it is compared to the other tanks. I main NC but I have probably killed more in a mag than a vanguard it's just the way the tank works totally changes it's effectivness and usability. On paper I guess the other two tanks are more "tanky" but in practice at least in my experience the Magrider is on another level and so much easier to survive in and actually use which is what matters in the long run whether you're killing or being killed. I never even notice things like the Vanguard shield when I'm in a Magrider of course I think alot of players give up their rear more than they'll admit cause I see it happen all the time or they're fighting AP tanks.
  9. lNeBl

Best performing tank lol.

But this discussion is about the upcoming godlike buffs to NC and TR tanks and the random unneeded nerfs, both direct and indirect, to the magrider, that will put it as the worst vehicle in the game by far.
    • Up x 2
  10. Redderic

It may actually be the best performing in its current state. Of course, the Magrider requires a massive cert investment to remain viable, is heavily dependent on having a gunner, and has been forced to play better for months on end to just remain competitive. Yes, I'd venture to say that your average Magrider driver is all around better than your average Prowler or Vanguard driver, but put a good Magrider against a good Vanguard and there really isn't any contest, especially if the Vanguard has stealth.

Stats need to be interpreted to rather than be taken at face value. A low-skilled Vanguard driver can still be an asset on the battlefield, while a low skilled and low certed Magrider is more of a liability.
    • Up x 1
  11. FBVanu

Nah, they will mostly nerf the other tanks.. . .

But not to worry, if you read the patch notes, most shells receive a velocity nerf.. so the Mag can strafe out of the way even faster..
    and receive less hits..
    plus, the shells will no longer reach as far.. an additional 25% drop.. that means if I was able to hit a Mag with my Prowler, from 400 meters away, now I have to get closer to 300 meters in order to achieve the same hit.. to me that means no more surprise hits.. at around 300 meters you can see almost any tank in the area.. so you will be able to see potential threats before they can reliably shoot at you.
    That gives the Mag time to react, re-position and shoot back at closer targets, which should make it easier for the Mag to hit enemy tanks.

When we have to get closer to shoot tank vs tank. the one with the fastest evasion maneuverability will have an advantage.. and strafing will become totally overpowered.. so we will have to ask for an additional nerf.on the Mag strafing ability. . isn't it great?
  12. Redderic

FBVanu, I'd be interested to see the new math on the changes to velocity and strafe speed. I recognize that it is a simple formula to determine the distance from which strafe is completely negated by velocity. With that said, if we force a Vanguard to play closer, their high alpha damage and high damage mitigation will force the Magrider into a weaker position. Similarly, a Magrider in close range with a high DPS Prowler will again favor the Prowler. Let's not pretend that strafe is the end-all-be-all... the Prowler and the Vanguard will still have higher velocity and I highly doubt the Magrider's strafe will meaningfully avoid fire from a skiller driver.
  13. Redderic

I'd be interested to hear what SOE's vision of what the Magrider is supposed to be. The Vanguard's design defies logic... high alpha damage, high damage mitigation, and equal speed with the Magrider. We should assume that a vehicle with high alpha damage and high damage mitigation would also be very slow... but it's not. Likewise, the Prowler's design defies logic.... highest damage, highest speed, equal damage mitigation with the Magrider. So where does that leave the Magrider? Lowest damage, equal speed to the Vanguard, and equal damage mitigation to the Prowler. How does this make any sense? Would we not assume that the Magrider would have the highest speed, highest alpha damage, and lowest damage mitigation? Likewise, would the Prowler not have the highest damage, moderate speed, and moderate damage mitigation?

I simply don't understand what SOE's vision of what the Magrider is supposed to be. Sadly, I doubt SOE knows either. We've dug our own graves by getting good with a mediocre vehicle, to bring it up to par with our moderately skilled opponents. A good Vanguard will wipe the floor with a good Magrider, and the upcoming changes are going to make this even more apparent.

Or in summary.... (Vanguard) slowest vehicles should have the most armor and moderate damage.... (Magrider) fastest vehicles have the highest alpha damage and lowest armor.... (Prowler) moderate speed vehicles have moderate armor and highest sustained damage.... makes sense to me, but apparently not to SOE.
  14. Flag

Tell you what, I'd like to put Calisai, Klypto and <insert some TR tanker worth their nanites here> into a debate with the game designers and just listen to the conversation.
    • Up x 1
  15. FBVanu

Redderic, you are correct, SOE kind of messed that up in the beginning, now we have to find a way to live with it, since I don't see any way how SOE could change that to make sense.

The lightning appears more and more as THE tank to go to. got some time in my NC heat lightning, and i have to say, i don't mind that thing getting me killed.. it's cheap in resources.. and mostly easy to run away when I encounter any MBTs.. plus my KDR is low on my NC and Vanu.. so no problem there..

If all lightnings will also receive turret stabilization.. I can see quite a few tankers moving over to that vehicle.At least all of those are faction equal, meaning equally boring, but it might actually become easier to hunt MBTs with AP Lightnings..

Either way, these changes, IMHO, will have a huge impact on vehicle warfare. We have to re-learn how to aim, how to lead and figure out how to utilize the reverse speed.. little hills can flip and kill any Vanguard or Prowler.. more suicides due to increased reverse speed..
  16. NDroid

Higby once posted that the vision for the Magrider was a this highly mobile vehicle that can drive circles around the other tanks. Obviously the Magrider was never actually this mobile. At one point it filled the role of a sniper tank fairly well thanks in no small part to the old Saron but after all the changes the Prowler became better suited for the role with its Anchor mode. Even the Vanguard AP cannon did this better with its higher velocity.

So, AV focused Magriders turned to Stealth based flanking gameplay pretty much out of necessity but also because of the Mag's better terrain navigation, mobility and improved firing stability. The other tanks can also use this playstyle (and indeed many do) but the Mag does have a relative advantage in this area and it can be quite successful, at least against opponents that let themselves get flanked.

Now with the coming changes the Mag is once again losing its niche. Without the stability advantage and to a lesser extent the faster reverse speeds (both of which will be made available to the other tanks) the Mag would need a significant buff to its mobility to remain competitive if that is to stay as its defining trait. Strafe speed would definitely need to be increased, something that SOE might not want to do because of the effects it would have against infantry.
    • Up x 3
  17. Tomols

Well when You get a magrider now its like a
    :
  18. Linus

The Magrider can do very good versus the other MBTs, however this vehicle requires three important things from its driver, so to be effective:

- Playing stealthy / Flanking
    - Playing smarter than others
    - Choosing the right place to engage / lure a target

Without those three facts, the Magrider is just a bunch of free certs and the next update in its current state, is not going to make all of this much easier.
    • Up x 1
  19. MajiinBuu

Get the first shot. FPC in the rear will take out nearly half their life.
    • Up x 1
  20. WarmasterRaptor

Isn't the mag the tank able to show it's front armor all the time while the others mostly show their sides in a peek-a-boo hide n' seek combat?
    Especially now that forward and backward speed get better, those hide and seek will get more frequent.
    • Up x 1