In defense of the HA's Instant-Win shield

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by M4L4CH1TE, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Tcsisek

the nerf is unneeded i primarily play LA and infiltrator and the 1 time the shield was unfair was when i snuck up with a infiltrator and knifed him 2 times, but still HAs need to be able to do that whats the point of forgoing flight invisibility turrets and healing for a rocket. if you get the drop on them
    1: you fire first and they are not facing you you deal much more damage then their shield will prevent often killing them before they react.
    2: if any other class can go head to head with a HA thats like saying a flash should be able to go head to head with a MBT (a bit of an exaggeration but still)
    3:if you see an over shield HA if youre a medic you got friend with no doubt, LA you can fly Ambush him, infiltrator cloak and ambush or mine, engineer place a turret as either a distraction or to use or just set a mine, and MAX well... just rip them in half.
  2. lawn gnome

when i am hunting tanks it is not so much an i win shield as a neon sign that says enemy here and prevents me from being able to sprint. i only use it when rounding corners into buildings where i expect enemy troops.
  3. Frostiken

No kidding. I hate playing MAX, because it's so limited - I'm also NC so it doesn't help that anyone more than 20 feet away is effectively immune to me. What exactly am I giving up for playing HA? I can't drop ammo? Wow, how terrible. They also can't walk through walls, fly, come with autoaim, or give me 10,000xp per kill either.
  4. M4L4CH1TE

I'm wondering what kind if whining we'll see regarding Decloaking infiltrator menacing heavies once the shield nerf happens. But now I'm just trolling, I guess.:p
  5. Captain Kid

Then heavies have to deal with the same problem as engineers.
    I'm dead playing as engineer when a infiltrator manages to sneak up on me (which is their job!).
    My only defence against infiltrators is trying to see them before they get in range or see them first. (which is kind of hard since they have cloak)
    Doesn't matter if I hear the decloak sound or not; they can almost start firing immediately when de-cloakign and they have an smg which kills you right quick.
    • Up x 2
  6. Robertooooo

Guess what's next to be nerfed if infiltrators suddenly become godly against heavies? :D
    I hope they will at least give some smaller buffs to the shield if they implent ramp up time. Less movement penalty and/or no energy cost to activate it maybe?

And one unrelated question: does the resist shield increase overall resistance or does it only make you immune to headshots?
    • Up x 1
  7. Hibiki54

Anyone that complains about the HA shield just wants to play easy mode, either way.
  8. Robertooooo

''Nerf everything that can counter my playstyle effectivly!''
    • Up x 4
  9. Corvus Corax

Seriously. Just yesterday, I was playing as a LA with SMG. Unloaded a clip into a heavy, missed a fair few shots, but if that was any other class, he's dead.
    But he uses his overshield. So he shot me to pieces. Now, guess what! I didn't get the kill! But you know who did? My LA platoon buddy right behind me!
    Teamwork, everyone. It's not rocket science.
    • Up x 2
  10. Peasnriz

This relies on the assumption that the TTK is lower than the time to activate, and while I accept that most engagements happen at cqc not all do. I myself enjoy using scout rifles (albeit fairly badly) and the time to kill on those can be fairly long.

I do not have a problem with the mechanic as is I just believe that the shield should be balanced in the hit points it has. Like others have pointed out other weapons were/are balanced around the HA having a overshield e.g. carbines with 845rof, it would also allow better fine tuning to get it to perform at a level the developers are happy with.
    • Up x 1
  11. Paragon Exile

In PS2, even at close range, the time from target acquisition to killing someone is about 1.5 seconds, caused by imperfect accuracy and reaction time. In that span, the HA has more than enough time to activate his shield quickly, which gives him an insurmountable advantage for little-to-no effort. While the class is obviously geared towards taking more punishment and dishing out consistent DPS, it shouldn't be used as a crutch to compensate for a lack of other skills.

Second, I made no such assumption, it's a fairly straightforward chain of logic that relies on the facts/opinions that;

1. Players who anticipate enemies and prepare accordingly are more 'worthy' to engage on a superior footing than those who simply react to stimuli.

2. The above fact/opinion should be facilitated in-game by rewarding forward-thinking players and punishing/not rewarding those that don't.

That's it.
  12. RockPlanetSide2

Thats all BS, because as much as everybody wants PS2 to be the team oriented game it is marketed as, more often than not its really just small squads versus small squads and in those instances the HA shield is just OP and is a no-skill 1-button win.

IF the game was like the propaganda videos wanted you to believe it was, where 80 guys are shooting 80 guys, then the HA shield would be dead on, but those instances are far and few in the game regardless if you want to believe it or not. Most of the time HA is just easy mode for kids.

IF there was some way to code it to where you would get bonus X based on how many people you were actually helping by using your shield, proximity or whatever, that would be one thing, but getting double heath when you are solo wandering around like a brute is just stupid.
  13. reydelchicken

Besides those embarrassing scenarios where you actually miss against players... There is not reason to miss if you are hitting all of your shots, ideally hitting headshots.

I've been able to take out heavies using the anchor or carv with the pulsar C, with a combination of ADAD spam and landing headshots. Obviously that is talking about a close range encounter at around 10-30 meters. When heavies are around the 50m mark, the shield can be very decisive.
  14. RockPlanetSide2

The "I can kill heavies all the time" argument is also BS. All you are really saying is "I can kill bad players all of the time".

If you are the same skill as an HA and you are not an HA, you will lose 100% of the time. It is that simple. It does not matter if you can't grasp that fact or not.
  15. SinerAthin

I play a variety of classes, and they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

I don't have a problem dealing with Heavy Assaults on my Light Assault.
    Because I make use of my jet pack, I almost always get the jump on them. And they don't have time to activate their shield if I get a clear shot of their back.

And even if they do, the shield isn't going to make enough of a difference for them to survive.

Not to mention if I'm using the Pandora... the shield might as well have been a drop in the ocean, because they'll die just as fast anyway xD
    • Up x 1
  16. Robertooooo

Lol no. When I played infiltrator alot I could take down HA's rather easily with my auto scout rifle. Some most likely more skilled than me.
    But if you engage a decent HA headon with any other class you are engaging them in the exact situation they are supposed to excel.
    • Up x 1
  17. Corvus Corax

Insurmountable? Jeez louise, there's so much waffle in your posts it's sort of amusing to read but frustrating at the same time, knowing that you actually believe what you're typing.
    • Up x 1
  18. RockPlanetSide2

You are killing bad players who don't have the reflexes to activate their shield immediately and kill you... again you can imagine whatever you want, it is irrelevant... SOE has already statistically noted the issue and hence the nerf.

The entire issue is that in this game you don't have any escape tactics other than "run" and that does not get you away from a heavy shooting at you... all you can do is shoot back pointlessly into his shield to live (you can mouth-fart about jump jets or cloak, but those are already PROVEN to rarely work because of speed, and anybody can just see the cloak). Or you can just not shoot at what makes up about 50% of the current battlefield... awesome game... don't shoot at 50% of your targets.
  19. fudili

If you (as a LA, Engi, Medic, smg infil) get the drop on any heavy inside of 30m and he kills you (no shotguns) then you need to work on your aim.
  20. GeminiSol

Well maybe he was getting shot at and the Heavy assault's Suppression just ****** his accuracy up. Happens to me when I fight a Heavy assault.