The new T7 Mini Chaingun on PTS... Is a nerf.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Owen W., Apr 5, 2014.

1. QuakerOatsMan

Do you not notice the magazine emptying significantly faster?
  2. doombro

Stop crushing my dreams! You're not fighting like TR!

With the new attachment, the MCG is a death machine. The lack of bloom is a godsend, and I'm glad they removed it. Bloom prevented it from functioning as a proper bullet hose. Now the MCG will be more like an MCG and less like a 100 round sniper rifle.
    • Up x 2
  3. EvilKoala

I'm sure they're still tweaking.. there's no way thats the final version we'll see.
  4. XDDante

T-9 Carv,MSW-R,Armistice,TAR and the new LC2-Lynx have amazing fire rate why the MCG can not??? just make it so you don't have spin up time but the weapon would overheat after a few rounds fired, kind as if it was a reload mechanic,is that much hard to do???i think right now devs are being lazy about changing the MCG,why make an attachment when you could easily just change the weapon's rate of fire and work around it???
    • Up x 1
  5. Dan_Killian

Let me preface this review of the new MCG with my experience with the weapon in it's current state (I did not use the weapon prior to the addition of the ramp-up RPM).

I am currently a BR99 HA primary player (2.6 K/D). 8k CARV kills (2.55 K/d) and 5.1k MCG kills (2.11 K/D and rising quickly). This puts me at #24 in overall kills with the MCG. I have the highest kills per hour with the MCG when compared with any other infantry weapon I use (56.6 kph) and 98 hours logged with it. I have also been exclusively using the MCG over the last month. I give you this information not to brag (the stats are not really that impressive) but to show you that I am speaking from experience with the weapon and playstyle.

I love the MCG. I love the sound. I love the ability to ramp up around a corner, pop out, and mow people down. I love the long range capability that it has. Over all, if the MCG was not changed at all, I would be fine.

After spending 20 minutes on test with the new MCG attachment here are my thoughts:

Oh... my... god...

This thing is going to wreck face in it's current form. I cannot understand how people are calling this a nerf. The CQC potential of this gun has gone through the roof. This gun is a flankers dream. The speed at which the new MCG can take down multiple targets is amazing; with almost non-existent COF bloom the consistency of shots hit is amazing. I stood in front of a max (making sure it was at full health) and mowed it down in seconds (with usually about 14-17 bullets left in the mag).

The 20m to 30m kill potential is also intact. Bursting is still required, but it's medium range accuracy is still viable.

Long range is where it falls short. I can live with that given the improvement in CQC potential.

I believe that the MCG has always required a unique playstyle. If you think you can trade shots with a God Saw at 30m, you are doing it wrong. The MCG is about flanking and taking out groups of enemies. The MCG already excels at that, and the new MCG will utterly destroy multiple targets.
    • Up x 4
  6. Beltway

Not enough to warrant a purchase. The magazine empties in roughly 6 seconds with the attachment and 7 seconds without.

I would hope so.
  7. LibertyRevolution

The new fixed COF is where the old one was after holding mouse 1 for 100 rounds...
    The new version of the chaingun is a nerf.

The only thing that made the spin up time viable was that it has almost no COF bloom while ADS.
    Now you get max COF bloom from the start..

The speed up attachment is totally useless..
    By the time the chaingun spools up, your target is already dead.. So you never get to make use of that extra ROF.
    And you have to give up your extended mag for it, so your mag lasts 6 secs, then you have 5secs of reload..

This is a strait nerf.

I can't believe you are serious about this..

They have made it useless for medium range (targets at far end of VR range are 60m), you have to spray them forever to get a kill.

Bursting is not an option on a chaingun, you need to hold mouse one if you want to keep the ROF bonus..
    Right now on PTS, you down a 20m target before it even spools..
    30m targets you reach full ROF, because so many rounds miss due to the new huge COF.

And long range.. 100m+ targets in the field is a crapshoot with this thing now.

Old version ADS is a dot, the bullets go exactly where your dot is, you can snipe with the thing how it is on live..
    The ADS COF on this thing on PTS is bigger than my solstice laser hipfire on live!

It is like the devs heard that TR was low in population, and that people said it is not fun, so they hit them with the nerf bat. o_O
    • Up x 4
  8. G.O.A.T

The regular MCG is amazing.

I don't understand why you people hate it, but it seems like it's getting a buff which is really weird to me because the gun IMO is already at it's best.

inb4 the nerf.
    • Up x 1
  9. LibertyRevolution

The chain gun how it is on live is great.
    I made a new TR just to play with the chaingun, got it on that spring sale, and racked up 309 kills with it yesterday.

People just wanted it to have a higher ROF, as it is a chaingun..
    People were upset that lynx was getting a 900+ROF, while the chaingun was 800.

So people complained, and what do they get for their calls for buffs? The nerf bat, as usual.

Guys, please, please, for the love of god, stop asking for buffs.. when was the last "buff" that was actually better..
    • Up x 2
  10. Kaktwox

What a surprise, the TR April balance pass is nothing more then more updates where TR gets nerfed. It's only been happening since Beta.
    • Up x 1
  11. Reskan

Well, the TR wanted the MCG to better fit TR characteristics, and SOE finally listened. The ADS cone of fire bloom for the MCG now has lockdown.

Mission accomplished.
    • Up x 4
  12. Maljas23

Don't get how people are calling this a nerf. Having aurx'd this weapon a long time ago as well as play with it on the current PTS, I am convinced that the MCG will be a death warrant to those in CQC out to 30m, if it goes Live as it is right now. The increased RoF from the attachment is dramatic and will be making a huge difference.

While my testing isn't perfect, I feel that the starting RoF is around the 700-750 range with the attachment equipped. That is the RoF of the T9 Carv. This means that when you press the trigger, the MCG will be firing at 700-750 RPM, right from the start. This alone makes it viable for CQC.

The assumed max RoF with the attachment is said to be 1000+ RPM, making it the fastest firing gun in the game. In CQC, it retains its 143 bullet dmg out to 10m.

1000+ RPM, within 10-30m, with a fixed CoF.

Incoming death machine.

The only thing I think needs changing is the default rounds in one magazine. It needs to be higher. Other than that, I look forward to getting this Live hopefully next week.

Oh.. and Chainguns shouldn't be sniping in the first place.
    • Up x 1
  13. LibertyRevolution

It takes 7.5 secs to empty the mag on live now. 100 rounds in 7.5 secs. So 14 rounds a sec. (800 ROF)

On test with the new attachment it takes 6.25 seconds. 100 rounds in 6.25 secs. So 16 rounds a sec. (960 ROF)

Is it worth giving up 100 extra rounds from extended mag, for a 2 round per second difference? I vote no.

The DPS over time is way worse with the speed up attachment.
    As you have 5 secs of reload every 6.25 secs, instead of 5 secs of reload every 14secs.
    The extra 2 bullets a second will not make up for the increased downtime spent reloading more often.

1sec/14 rounds = .0714 of a second per round
    1sec/16 rounds = .0625 of a second per round
    So 0.0714 - 0.0625 = 0.0089 of a second difference per round fired. In what world is that even a noticeable.

That math can't be right.. can it? frosty where are you!!
    • Up x 4
  14. SerialNumber1221

just bring back the original version please...sorry no sound, herbie hancock didn't wanna share

• Up x 1
  15. minhalexus

If you are using the MCG at long range, then you're doing it wrong.

Reloading more all depends on you. Don't spam the weapon and you wont need to reload so much.
    Its similar to the NC max's shotties.

If you want to compare DPS, here goes:-
    Assuming that It has 960 rpm as you stated.
    With overload thingy:- 2288 DPS
    Without overload thingy:- 1906 DPS
    Thats a DPS difference of about 400. (which is quite a lot)

Its actually 3 rounds per second.
    At 960 RPM you fire 16 rounds per second.
    At 800 RPM you fire 13.333 rounds per second.
    You can not round off those shots, so its 13 rounds per second.

Damage of 3 bullets:- about 440

Do you want to compare TTK at the highest RoF?

With overload thingy:- 0.43
    Without it:- 0.52

Without first shot:- 0.37 seconds for overload thingy, 0.45 seconds without it.

As if 0.8 seconds TTK is a small amount of time.
    The magazine size is long enough for you to take down ATLEAST 3 enemies considering that you have TERRIBLE accuracy.

Here:-

I would say that its an interesting trade, of-course having ex-mags might help in some situations, but 440 more DPS is no joke IMO.
    • Up x 2
  16. Dan_Killian

The entire reason I prefaced my review with stats is to show that I actually use the MCG as my main weapon. I did not just make a new character to "play around with it." I try not to be rude on forumside, but I would prefer that people who have actually used the gun for more than a couple hours comment on this new iteration of the MCG. This is the same reason that I do not comment on ESF threads or Lib threads. I am a ground pounder and that is what I know.

Liberty, from your sig it is clear that you are an experienced player, but if you believe that a relatively fixed COF at 960 (or whatever RPM it is) is not worth the trade off for the lack of long range capability, you are insane. If I wanted to be capable at longer ranges I would use my NS15 (which I have over 3k kills with) or the TMG-50.

Regardless of your math theory crafting, I can tell you, without a shred of doubt, that the MCG on PTS is immensely better for it's intended role which is to mow multiple enemies down at close range.
    • Up x 2
  17. Tommyp2006

Other than the fact that I think this new attatchment is how the weapon should be standard, I'm actually really excited for this change, it feels like its going to have more firepower than a dual onslaught max, with about the same accuracy as mercies.

And I personally think that if they want to keep this attatchment, then it should allow us to prespin the barrel so there is no spin up.
  18. Owen W.

My main problem is the fact that you fire the weapon for 5-6 seconds, and then have to reload for almost the same amount of time. I want 1000 RPM by default. Or more rounds in the mag.

And the "long range you're doing it wrong" thing... Depends on what you define as "long": if you mean ACX-11 "long", then yeah, I get you. However, when I say long in terms of the live MCG, I really mean medium range (20-30 meters) where it does very well on live servers.
  19. Owen W.

As I stated in the post above:

1. When I say "long range", I really mean medium range, which is where I feel the T7 MCG is best placed on live servers, due to the slow spin up time.

2. I don't want to have to reload for 5 seconds every 5 seconds, with this gun. Either the 1000 RPM fire rate is made default or we can have more ammo per mag. Due to your bullets hitting falling NC/VS bodies, some of your bullets will not necessarily hit whatever is behind it and be wasted. This is worse with the 1000 RPM: you'll be wasting 20-30 bullets of the magazine on already dead bodies, which is why I want the 1000 RPM default, so we can use extended mags.
  20. Owen W.

When I said long range, I really meant medium range. It takes me 50 rounds to hit a VR dummy 9 times at 25 meters... That's what I mean by the "destruction of long range potential". At 20-30 meters, my T9 Carv kills faster that the T7 Mini Chaingun... See my problem ?