Is having points capped by cloaked infiltrators bothering anyone else?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Killuminati C, Mar 17, 2014.

1. IamDH

What? Im pretty sure that isnt true
    I was told if you move your mouse you get spotted
  2. Bl4ckVoid

To see the SMG infiltrator before he kills you?
    Before you leave the base for next, spawn scout flash and hunt them down.
  3. Archiadus

I tried it out with a friend a few weeks ago and recon darts don't show your position if you crouch walk / move your mouse.
    • Up x 1
  4. Stigma

It is worth noting that there is currently some sort of bug that makes certain individuals get "stuck" capturing a certain point, regardless of where on the continent they are. Of course this pretty much identically mimics what happens when you have a stalker cloaker sitting on the capturepoint in deep-cloak and thus causing much frustration when dozens of players scan the room and fill it with bullets in every nook and cranny without finding anything.

I have seen this happen at least twice confirmed. Once I was able to actually talk to the player who was (unintentionally) capping the point by simply asking in /yell (the south-westernmost indar biolab, C-point) and the second time in a towerfight on esamir we scanned the place again and again and finally (convinced it was bugged at that point) had a vanu friend come in to actually inspect the place and he could not find any enemies there on his map nor visually.

I don't really use stalker cloak despite playing a lot of infil (it's too slow of a playstyle for me personally), but I think that we have to accept the capture while cloaked mechanic. In the case of hunter-cloak you can't cloak nearly long enough to really pester a point that the enemy is checking for enemies - and in the case of stalker cloak this sort of gameplay is sort of what the stalker is made for, and ultimately it is not such a powerful type of playstyle or very hard to counter if you really want to (grabbing a darklight almost guarantees it). It is maybe easy to say that you shouldn't be able to cap while cloaked, but I feel that this just ends up making an already fairly weak and little used infil loadout even less useful. Stalker cloakers are rather "fringe" at the moment - something you don't really expect, and perhaps exactly because of that it CAN be somewhat efective because it catches people off-guard, but its not like you are going to ravage the battlefield with a stalker-infil...

-Stigma
  5. andy_m

It's funny that, because I earned XP last night for capping a base that I had been at earlier (and lost) even though I was at a totally different base. Sounds like a similar sort of "bug."

And I have also experienced hearing the "generator destroyed" call out, or similar, even though I'm at a small outpost.

Some strange goings on for sure...
    • Up x 1
  6. RealityWarrior

Hmm maybe he was watching you and moved to the area you already swept?

That is the best part about playing vs people instead of AI bots. They are smart.
    • Up x 1
  7. FocusLight

It's a completely legitimate strategy and I don't see the big problem.

They can't fully hide anyhow; the map will tell you if there are enemies in the sector, and with that, leave a couple rear guards with flashlights patrolling the points until you gain a cap in the next base. Worst case, leave one for each point, that's 3 people tops. Keep in mind that the enemy are either A) not infils and easy to spot or B) infils and thus can be heard cloaking and re-cloaking or they only have secondary weapons. Either way, they have to get by you, so keep your eyes and ears open and stay moving. You know what to expect.

Once a point is flipped in the next base the rear-guard can move on, because the points in the base you just guarded can't be flipped now.
    • Up x 3
  8. ScrapyardBob

No, it's "as long as you don't move you won't show up".

Most (all?) of the prox/scout/recon RADAR in game only shows enemies who are moving. Which is why, when you are defending a point, you should not be running around like a sugar-addled monkey.
    • It keeps you from showing up on scout RADAR, recon darts, etc.
    • When MAX units walk around, you can hear them a *very* long way off, so you're advertising your position.
    • By settling down and picking a sector to defend, you are not going to walk into anyone's line of fire by accident.
  9. AnnPerkins

tactic
    • Up x 1
  10. Rohxer

Lots of wrong stuff in this post re: radar.

Spend some time on the infiltrator board and you'll see this has all been tested repeatedly (as their very lives depend on it daily!)

Scout radar (ESF and flash) shows anyone and everyone who is not in a vehicle as a red dot, whether they are running, walking, crouching, or standing still. It will not show people in vehicles, which includes phalanx base turrets and the engineer mana turrets. Your entire faction within range will see the dots.

Proximity radar (other vehicles) will only show a red dot of people who are walking or running, and only show the dot to people in that vehicle.

Sensor Darts (infiltrator) will reveal the dot of anyone walking or running to anyone in your faction within range. Crouch-walking will not reveal your dot. Moving your mouse will not reveal your dot. Reloading will not reveal your dot. Jumping -will- reveal your dot, but only if you are in mid-jump during one of the radar "pings".

New motion detector tool (infiltrator) - nearly the exact same as sensor darts above, except they will show enemy doritos, not just dots, which reveal which direction you are looking.

Given those tested and verified facts, it is ridiculously easy to track down stalker infiltrators.

1) Press "M". Are there enemies indicated?
    2) Pull flash or ESF. Even motionless they cannot hide from the minimap if within range (100m flash, 200m ESF).
    3) Now you know exactly where they are and your friends can go to the dot and shoot.
    4) If you are alone, mark a waypoint. Jump out of vehicle, go to waypoint, shoot (full auto works best).
    5) Variation: Throw an EMP if you are not exactly sure where. Grab a darklight if you still cannot find them.
    6) If their dot was at a place with multiple levels (tower, etc.) it becomes more difficult, but there is still only a finite place for them to be.
    • Up x 3
  11. Botji

The only time this bothers me is when crap like last night happens.

Playing my VS character and defending a base from TR and the point just keeps flipping all the frickin time. About 8 people run around in the building with the point looking for the infiltrator but no, cant find him. Most move away and we are just 2-3 people standing around the point now and nothing has been seen or heard of any infiltrator so, the rest of us also starts to move away.

After a while when everyone are away from the point it starts to flip, we run back and arrive just seconds after its turned and find... nothing.

I make my Nth complete search of the building both inside and outside and find nothing as all the times before that. When the rest move off once more I stick around but not in the capture area, sure enough after a while the point is flipping again so I rush in and the cap is stopped for about 2 seconds before Im taking it back.

... All the while I have kept an eye on the map, it shows 100% VS in the area. If you check your map you can see allies and enemies, even a single infiltrator shows up there and its fairly easy to abuse this to know if someone is around or not and there were no TR there at all.

What used to be a clear cut "well crap, the point is bugged" has now turned into a 20 minute "find the cloaked infiltrator" just to be sure. The reason it took so long to figure it out was there was a constant TR pressence in the hex, either ESFs, tanks or infantry so it was fully possible that there was a infiltrator capping the point but when everything cleared out and its just 100% VS its fairly obvious whats actually going on is just a simple bugged cap point.

So no, the infiltrators themselves doesnt bother me that much since I can find them with my flashlight(Beamer in its true form!) but the possibility that they are there is far worse because if its a bug you cant find them.
  12. Wobberjockey

SMG infiltrators cannot equip stalker cloak, and therefore can stay cloaked for 12 seconds MAX.
    many run Nano armor cloak which is a 10 second cloak time MAX
    Stalker cloak locks out your primary weapon slot, and has a maximum move time of 12 seconds requiring 18 seconds of rest.

so if you can't be ares to stay 30 seconds after the cap happens before you are on your way to the next hex, you are probably a part of the zerg herd mentality that is killing the game.

seriously GET A FLASHLIGHT ON YOUR PISTOL
    not only will you have the advantage of finding a cloaked infiltrator (1-2 seconds before they can return fire due to cloak lockout) BUT you have 100 more shields than than they do.
    • Up x 1
  13. FactionTraitsFTW

So SOE finally adds some strategy to the game and the zergers start crying immediantly.
    • Up x 1
  14. Ryme

Seems like it would be a good idea to drop some certs into Scout Radar for a Flash, just for infiltrator clearing now.
    • Up x 2
  15. Rohxer

Check my post right above yours.

Your 20 minutes could have been better spent. Pull a scout radar flash and drive it within 100m of the point. Maybe 30 seconds at most? If you see no dots, there is no infiltrator. If the cap starts, it's bugged. Less than a minute has now been wasted. You guys should really be doing this anyway on any sort of coordinated push, especially during alerts.
  16. Pirbi

It's adds some fun to the game and allows small fights to occur within striking distance of large fights.
  17. Whatupwidat

I love that infils can do this - considering I automatically assume most infis think they're hot **** it gives me immense satisfaction when I cap them lol.

Obviously when they shoot me it makes me want to punch the screen - but that's the nature of the game.
  18. Camycamera

that is why we need an overhaul for hacking stuff, like vehicles. and maybe even adding in hackable doors that work with a push of a button.

and also, i'd say that it should be that only infiltrators can overload generators, as it makes its role on the battlefield more important, and actually makes sense.
    • Up x 1
  19. Paleron

Hah, I love sitting on top of the capture point while people run around shooting the corners. I'm the guy the OP hates. I'm glad I don't encounter you much. A guess lot of people don't look right on top of the point.

Also, I agree with the "makes them nervous". People actively searching for me makes me do stupid things and get myself killed sometimes.
    • Up x 1
  20. Vodski

Leave one person on each point when your zerg hits the next base, and the infil will be wasting his time. As soon as the point at the next base starts flipping, move on, because the infiltrator can no longer cap your base.