Is having points capped by cloaked infiltrators bothering anyone else?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Killuminati C, Mar 17, 2014.

1. OrbitalNZ

Its a good valid counter to a zerg.
    Let the main mass pass and try to keep the cap in play to slow the advance on the next defensible base.
    Or proceed the zerg to start the next cap instantly, securing your teams advance.
    If you can not be bothered to look for the cloaker, then tough.
  2. DashRendar

That's what I call tactical superiority.
    • Up x 4
  3. AnnPerkins

I don't really have a problem with the ones sitting on the point. It's the one that hides outside the point in a random location and spams spawn beacons for the 11 other guys in his squad that I find... borderline exploitative.
  4. Pacster

Did it come to your mind that he was actually playing for your side? This was a quite common tactic to buff the WDS for your main chars faction. He was possibly rather smart...and you didn't notice it...and I don't need to finish the sentence, do I? =P

And yeah...cloaked infils are really annoying at nighttime when you often play 1vs1 etc.. I didn't manage to find one in almost a minute and then the area was capped. Not fun at all. Having a pistol with darklight is not the solution to this problem either(at least not in 1vs1)...cause he likely has a pistol too and is the one that will hit you first. Simple solution would be to not being able to maintain a cap if you are cloaked.

That aside I got a scythe with radar that is very helpful scanning for infils....I'm much more useful that way than when I actually try to kill enemies myself with the scythe. lol
    It does not help in 1vs1 situations tho.
  5. Killuminati C

This is kind of my feeling as well. Though I don't play as infiltrator often when I do I use recon darts and yes I have the darklight. I guess I just wanted to know if infiltrators felt it was a needed addition to their class.

To be clear, I never die to them but nobody ever wants to hunt for these types of players that seem to just crouch in a corner and rack up the xp for not really doing much except being irritating.

Very few people have bought the flashlight it seems and even less of them want to look for the one guy who's running around the facility instead of keeping the momentum going. I guess it just seems like a boring tactic that when you have lower pop can be extremely frustrating.

I guess the majority of you actually enjoy it but I wonder how many people posting here actually actively hunt these players down when it affects their push instead of moving on and hoping someone else bothers to do a sweep?
  6. FateJH

The real problem isn't cloaked Infiltrators - it's the cap area extending into odd and sometimes nonsensical locations. For example, you can cap the point while standing outside the building at Rashnu Watchtower. I recall Saerro Listening Post used to have this awesome bugged <C> point: stand on one side of the room and you were in the cap radius; stand on the other side of the room, and you weren't even really in the Listening Post anymore. The Amerish base with the cap point in a small shed outside, in a small courtyard, is a real doozy. The area where you can stand to cap the point extends in odd directions and stops abruptly in others. I think there's one cap area where you can stand under stairs but not on the stairs but I forget which particular base I am thinking of at the moment.

It's not hide and seek with Infiltrators; it's find the invisible slivers of influence.
    • Up x 1
  7. BOOKEN

It's not just so you can capture it.....

It's so you can flip the point to hinder your enemy from flipping the point at the next base they are going to. You may call that being a pest....

I call it sacrificing certs to help the team. You aren't getting points while just sitting there.
    • Up x 4
  8. bPostal

Here's a quick story about my most favorite moment in Planetside in the last 5 years or so (Yes, this is a Planetside story, not a PS2 story).
    We got kicked out of a base, don't recall the name, but the NC were all over it like **** on rice and there was nothing that could be done. MAX crash, gal drop...nothing.
    So we're setting up for genhold when unbeknownst to any of us one of my outfitmates named Bert (Dude was awesome as **** and he was 70 if he was a day) infiltrated up to the CC and hacked it back right from under their noses. Had less than 10 seconds left on the timer.

What's the point of this story? Infiltrators need **** to infiltrate, It's right there in their job description. If you wanna be a ****, then you go infil and make peoples life miserable. Now, instead of zerging to the next base as quick as you can, you need rear security to keep the point clear while you take the enemies link away by beginning the cap on the next base.

Shoot, play on Miller without somebody to watch your backs and JNJ and DIGT will drop an entire squad behind you, just to throw you off your game and kill your momentum.
    • Up x 1
  9. Halcyon

You say irritating.
    I say strategy.

Party on.
    • Up x 2
  10. KnightCole

Yes, in a way it does and in another way, I dont mind it.

See, because just like how you can hide a MAX on a point cuz it wont make it flash, an infil taking a point pretty much tells you hes there. So if he couldnt.....he could hide better.

So, go ahead...keep letting them take points. THey usually catch a face full of w/e machinegun im using...either when i spray and find them or they decide to shoot at me =D Ive died once to an infil on a point, all the other times I saw the shimmer or guessed correctly lol.
    • Up x 1
  11. NC_agent00kevin

Irritating Strategy.
  12. NoInstructions

I have seen just as many people do it after WDS along with the forums riddled with posts/videos by people who thought it was the funnest thing ever to do. I think people doing it for their own faction was a rarity.
  13. Killuminati C

Were you able to hack in PS1 while cloaked or did he have to uncloak first?

And furthermore while people are advocating being able to cap points while continually cloaked (I don't really have a problem with infs being able to do it as long as the meter is finite), would people have a problem with letting them hack base turrets and terminals while cloaked? And how about hacking vehicles when that get's implemented down the line?

And I'm not saying do away with the cloak but simply that there should be an extra limitation for the stalker cloak besides the lack of primary. I mean let's be honest they're waiting for the base to be practically empty anyways so where's the harm in having them uncloak?

And it takes awhile for a side to get a foothold in the next base unless they're zerging an empty lane so let's not make the one straggler out to to be a master strategist as he runs around an empty base. Meanwhile all your vehicles are getting demolished at the next shield wall.
  14. andy_m

Anything that irritates/frustrates/annoys the enemy sounds just sweet to me
  15. DFDelta

Why do so many people even bother with darklight?
    Just swipe your knife at all the obvious hiding spots. On the capture point, 2 or 3 swipes below it, on all tables/consoles/boxes and the corners of the room.

You'll get 90% of all stalkers with that, the rest usually gets nervous and tries to kill you. Making them visible and usually dead.
  16. Keyski

They should should be able to morph into a random prop as a new stealth mechanic
  17. MarkAntony

Do a 1 minute darklight sweep. problem solved!
    • Up x 2
  18. Engine91

No.... No not really... they tend to stop capping when I blast them in the face with a shotgun.

They are still visible but very very hard to make out. so if you look in the corners really carefully (or bring a darklight) you can find them and blast them. That or get a recon dart from a bow or infil buddy.
  19. vincent-

Flashlight stop asking for terrible things when there is a counter method already.
    • Up x 1
  20. Crayv

I think it is fine.

If it is something to get them to get them off the hills with their sniper rifles and down in the actual fights, I'm all for it.