XP Assist Drop?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Liquidrider, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Fenrisk

This is a massive change to experience so long after release. Anyone new starting planetside 2 now will be facing a massive grind which will take them 4 times as long in game time to reach the same point as we have in our current time in PS2. You really think this is going to encourage new players to try PS2 or even stay here? making them gring a lot more then we ever had to? A SLIGHT change to assist experience i could understand to reward the player who does the MOST damage on a target but not a system that cuts experience gain by a massive amount unless you get the killing blow.

This is a game involving massive battles where you work as a team with 50 too 100 other players. Not a contest to see who can hold back to get the killing blow. Nearly all of your kills in them massive battles are bloody assists and yet this change is treated like its needed to prevent assists or discourage them?

What is the logic behind this change so long after release? How does this encourage teamwork? and isn't this putting new players at a significant disadvantage in comparison to what us lot have had up to now?
    • Up x 15
  2. Thurwell

I should add that I don't think the current system is hopeless. Set it so that the old amounts of damage gave the old amounts of experience (remember there were 2 levels, assist and critical assist), and then scales up to...80% max for an assist let's say as a ballpark. Something like that, it would be fine, maybe even an improvement. But the numbers right now don't work.
  3. Liquidrider

Thank you Muldoon for the update and feedback. I am just glad it is being looked at and possibly reworked.

The XP update is understandable because of cert farming. On the flipside I can say with this certainty that after creating a new NC character the grind is quite harsh for certs and that is with a Auraxium Membership. I cannot imagine what it would be like for a brand new player in this game who doesn't know what they are doing or CERTing into.
  4. QueenVanuCeres

I'm sad, only 97xp (+50% boost) for 2 hornets missiles on a sundy after the destruction :(
    But xp assist on the infantery is good now :) , because when a ally take you kill you can have the same amount of xp for a kill.

(sorry for my english)
    • Up x 2
  5. KO-tic

yes it's low 3 clips into a gal was like 35 xp or something

Maybe add a *10 for vehicles?
    • Up x 1
  6. WTSherman

Scaling assists with damage does sound like a good idea, though I definitely think the current iteration is poorly implemented. Right now if you're pulling AA you'll get more EXP from the G2A damage bonus than from the assist at the end, and if you're gunning for a tank you'll get more EXP from your driver farming infantry than from you assisting with vehicles.

At first I was worried that vehicle and infantry assists had been accidentally set to the same value, that would have really sucked.

I'd say raising the base value to help it scale better would help, as well as putting up some documentation on how it works so we can easily help new players who are wondering "how much is an assist worth anyway?"
    • Up x 1
  7. Thurwell

Nobody cert farms vehicles, it's too dangerous and too hard to find enough vehicles (outside of each factions roaming tank zerg). You farm infantry, and how does killing vehicle assist xp help with that?
  8. Robertooooo

If you are somewhat good at it you can earn much XP by hunting vehicles. But earning good XP are not the same thing as farming.
  9. Ailin

This should just be rolled back, or otherwise it should be a % of the kill xp (including menace bonus and such) rather than a % of the assist xp.
  10. Thurwell

Sure, and that's also a lot of fun, I used to do it. Hardest part was finding enough vehicles to fight. Ground or air most vehicles are in a big clump camping a spawn somewhere, can't go near that.
  11. Thurwell

I just chased a lib halfway across the cont in an ESF. There was nothing helping me, I did all the damage until another aircraft crossed paths with us as it was burning, took the last shot, and I get 300 xp instead of 1200. Come on devs, this is ridiculous.

You know what's especially frustrating, there are ESFs now who take A2AM, find an enemy aircraft under attack, follow it around and take one missile shot when it's on heavy smoke. There's no way you can out-dps that with guns, they steal your kill every time.
    • Up x 5
  12. Kemano

I noticed that while in a multiple seat vehicle, the assist xp also included the amount from the kill and included bonuses. However, assists earned while not in the same vehicle only seem to give the xp for the vehicle kill, and not the kill xp.

Why not just include the kill xp into the pool assists are based from? That way the assist xp can keep the current system based on % of damage done without heavily encouraging getting the killing blow?

Putting a few rounds into infantry shouldn't be much more rewarding than helping take down armor or air.
  13. Landaren

Last hit is awarded 100% xp reguardless of damage they dealt to a target. thanks 4 guys that did all the work shooting that lib, here's 30% xp. But you mister lock on launcher that waited til he was smoking to fire, here's 100% xp
    • Up x 2
  14. lothbrook

Terrible system is terrible, its bad enough being in a tank is so nerf wracking anymore with mines being so tiny, and liberators being basically immune to my main gun and can just hover 10m off the ground dumping a tank buster into me, but now i have to have the killing blow to even earn experience in my tank with a 3.5 second reload, what dip**** thought this up? lol.
    • Up x 1
  15. LibertyRevolution

When the game first launched, you got no assist XP, and only 100XP for a kill, be it infantry, a MBT, or a Lib...
    With the ridiculously high assist we have had for awhile now, the game was not grindy enough..
    The noobs had it way to easy now... I am glad they are fixing it.

You all cry a lot..
  16. Vodski

Whelp, my already low xp per hour for shooting aircraft has gone even lower. Almost not even worth it to pull a skyguard, cuz I get screwed out of a lot of exp. Somebody else usually gets the kill while I am reloading.
    • Up x 1
  17. Xebov

I dont see how it was rediculously high. Prior this Update the Assist XP was allready bound to dmg, leading to 25/50/75% of the XP the kill would be worth. It was a fair system, because it alowed players that did alot of dmg to recieve some good XP. If someone did 90% dmg on a vehicle but didnt get the kill he was still rewarded with 75% of the kill XP. Now he is rewarded with 90% of the assist XP, wich is something around 100 XP, compared to 400 or 500 the Vehicle was worth in total. This yields to ridiculously small XP gains for Assists.

As an example, if you see an enemy Galaxy aproaching, you need alot of players to get it down in time. The killer would recieve his 500 XP and everyone else would have the 100 XP shared among them, resulting in values of 20-40 XP for a vehicle that granted them 200-300 XP for the same effort. The difference between Assist and Kill XP is currently simply to big and duty Jobs with specialized vehicles like Skyguards now yield way less XP because you get alot of Assists that are now worth nothing.
    • Up x 2
  18. HadesR

Considering the whole " We want to look after new players " changes that have been made lately .. It's certainly a strange change.
    • Up x 2
  19. Devrailis

I was a bit dismayed at the change.

But then I remembered, I got into Burster-Trolling because YOLO, BANG-BANG, and that sweet, sweet Sky-God Deicide.

And the murder is still good.
    • Up x 1
  20. Riku

If you make it scale, it would make sense to not use assist xp as multiplicator but kill => If you deal 50% damage to a vehicle, you get 50% of the total vehicle's worth, not 50% of a lousy assist.

(assist kill xp) * (% damage done) = awarded xp
    • Up x 1