AV MANA Turrets

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Alarox, Feb 17, 2014.

1. MalkorPrime

why don't we just increase the render distance then? some of us are playing on $2000 gaming rigs, we can handle increased render distance, and add fall off to rockets...i mean even in real life a rocket will run out of fuel eventually. just balance it so it's like 300-500 meters or something. idk, just trying to find a solution without taking sides.
  2. ZZYZX

This, 100 percent.

It does need to be reigned in a bit. And I'm a dedicated engineer. When on the receiving end, I can usually see the AV Turret's projectile just fine, but I can't see the turret itself or the engineer behind it.
    • Up x 2
  3. LibertyRevolution

The render distance is fine, they render as vehicles. The problem is culling.
    Objects are given a threat level, and the game culls objects to show you the closer higher threats.
    Their servers choose what is shown, and it shows the same thing to a $400 machine as your $2000 machine.
    The games culling is balanced around the minimum system requirements, if not the players with better rigs would have an advantage.
    • Up x 1
  4. KAHR-Alpha

Actually, I got a nice video of that the other day for those who don't believe it

5. Schwak

Besides the obvious problem of Mana turrets becoming de-rendered and still being able to hit you there a few changes that should be made to them. Mana turrets should cost resources but have more health to compensate. Still destroyed by one tank round or deci, but more resistance to small arms. Low risk high reward shouldn't exist in a game of this scale. Just last night I made the silly mistake of trying to run down a lightning that was trying to play sniper between indar ex and quartz, guess what I died to? 2 AV Mana turrets that didn't render.
    • Up x 4
  6. cruczi

They should make an exception in the culling rules for AV turrets to always render at max distance, because it's a balance issue.
    • Up x 2
  7. z1967

Why don't we give them damage degradation so that they only do Max damage up to 300m? And at the point that they usually de-render they should do a quarter of their normal damage. At least now you will have the chance to run away/move closer.
    • Up x 3
  8. DevDevBooday

Optics dont improve render range.
  9. Thagyr

As long as I will be able to see them, I have not many issues with mana turrets. The only other complaint I have is the ability for engineers to 'pop out' of the turret whenever they so much as see a gun point in their direction. Then they just move slightly somewhere else and redeploy a fresh one for free. But that is a problem with all the turrets in the game, however at least base turrets take a few moments to be repaired back to full before becoming active again.
  10. DeadlyPeanutt

nerf effective range and the AV turrets are worthless. if they're nerfed REFUNDS MUST BE GIVEN.

they're death traps as is, snipers and air will take you out in a moment. also they will not rez on 90% of surfaces on the game. what sort of advanced culture makes it possible to rez a AV turret but won't let it sit on a gentle slope.

AV turrets are fine.
  11. PastalavistaBB

You again? Give up, your OP toy will get balanced in the end. ZOE and Harassers did. It took the Devs 6 months, but they are reasonable now. Gameplay is much more fun and balanced atm without those ridiculous things.

Edit: I think that I'm actually going against the advice in my Signature by trying to argue with you again.
    • Up x 2
  12. MikeX7

As a both tanker and AV turret user i can say they are fine and balanced right now. If they nerf them they will be the new Ranger and nobody will use them anymore, since they will be a joke.
  13. PastalavistaBB

I shot a Scythe on Crossroads from the Crown. You can shoot vehicles at Ti Alloys and even at the Crown from Allatum Biolab Landing Pad. How is that "fine"?
  14. DeadlyPeanutt

Three words: Bait and switch. It's a scam and it's illegal.

And it doesn't matter if the scam involves digital goods or not. Amazon sells you a movie in HD and then changes it to SD without your approval... bait and switch.

SOE sells you a product and then WITHOUT YOUR APPROVAL changes that product to reduce it's value. Bait and switch. (for example... selling you a digital weapon that has a certain range and then changing that range to reduce the product's value without asking the buyer's permission).

Illegal. Complaints to the feds and a email quoting the complaints to all the gaming publications and SOE has a huge problem. Certainly a huge public relations problem, possibly a huge legal problem.

The changes to this product (which was sold for real money) that you're recommending are illegal. SOE shouldn't sell a product for real money if they're going to reduce it's value without the consent of the buyer. They ask my consent... fine.

as for what you think of my opinion... i'll take that under advisement.
  15. PastalavistaBB

Totally wrong. You don't own any of the ingame items you paid for (even with real money). SOE can change them as it wishes, anytime. It's a F2P game. SOE can even turn off the servers anytime they want. They can cancel the game completely if they see fit. If it actually were illegal to change the stats/values of ingame items, every Game Company would've been sued and go bankrupt because of the compensation they would have to pay to their customers. SOE can sell you a weapon and change it so it shoots peas the day after it's release. Just look at the Railjack. It got -supposedly- accidentally released with a 10 round magazine yesterday, but got changed to the original 4 round magazine on the test server in todays update. There are tons of ingame items that got nerfed into oblivion and you can't claim any rights. (Change doesn't necessarily mean becoming useless btw.) If you really want to know more, read the TOS.
    • Up x 3
  16. IrishPride

I'm sure that rail jack will make short of those turrets now .
  17. Ttariel

Engi is my main

Yes the AV turret hasto much for it right now and it should get a nerf in a range or render point.
    But i would rather have tanker and inf engi talk in the same direction because im 100% SOE will read only the problems of the vehicle player and nerf it into a useless state like many other things.

Striker
    Harasser
    ZOE
  18. notyourbuddy

3 times today while being fired at from 300m away the AV MANA Turret was not rendering. All you see is a missile magically appearing from nothingness. Firing a shell at this location in an attempt to hit the invisible nothingness unsurprisingly hit nothing.

I was not amused.
    • Up x 2
  19. Robertooooo

What a suprise. Today at least 2 potentially nice tank battles was ruined by AV turrets. No wonder tankers spend their time farming infantry when tank battles are impossible to have when those things destroy every vehicle within 600-700 m from their position.
    If they are gonna have that stupid range they should at least add artillery to the game. And that artillery should be able to hit infantry with pinpoint accuracy at the same ranges as AV turrets.
    I wonder how many of the people that defends the AV turret would react? Probably not as fun when it's them who get killed by a broken weapon.
    • Up x 3
  20. deggy

Except that you "read and agreed to" SOE Terms of Service, which states that they can do whatever they please with their goods, even after you buy them, and that you can't do anything about it.

If you want to argue legalese, you have to actually read the Terms of Use.
    • Up x 1