[Possibly QQ thread] Vanu cool things plz?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Pondera, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Pondera

Alright, I'm pretty frustrated with things after my experience tonight, so, just let me get it out of my system so I can get a good night's sleep and probably feel better tomorrow.

*gets up on soapbox*

I've been playing this game a little over a month now, and I've learned a great many things. I've learned that NC have an emphasis on power and endurance, and their Vanguard tank represents this trait. I've also learned that the Magrider cannot win a toe to toe fight against a Vanguard, especially if their shield is deployed. I figured "okay. I'll make sure to avoid those situations". Mostly by using the Magburner to flee for my life..... not really helpful since the Vanguard can chase down a Magrider and beat the living spandex out of it.

Then I learned that Reavers have the highest afterburner speed and toughest armor, by a pretty significant margin, or the ESF's, and it's really noticeable when I'm in a duel with one. That struck me as somewhat unfair, since the three factions are supposed to be equal, and the Scythe doesn't strike me as the best in anyway except having the smallest profile from the front, and the widest profile from any other angle.

And when I learned that all NC weapons hit harder in exchange for increased recoil (can't be that much given their ability to headshot me at 50m reliably with machine guns and carbines), watching an NC MAX tear a bloody swath through a squad of about 15 people, ripping everything directly in front of it, regardless of density, to pieces, have laser-guided rockets for anti-vehicle weapons, AND have a deployable invincibility shield that can soak up more decimator rockets than three other MAXs combined, I started to get angry.

I've asked about this, and the unique ability the Vanu are supposed to have, the Zealot Overdrive Engine, has apparently been nerfed so hard that, when I use it, I cannot notice a difference in performance. Infantry still take 2 body shots with comets to kill, the speed increase is not even CLOSE to that of charge, but....OH YEAH, I notice the increased vulnerability. I notice it A LOT. So....that's our thing then? We have massively huge tanks with nonsensical designs that can't win a straight up fight with pretty much any other tank, an ESF that is best described as "meh..." and a MAX ability that was fun to use at some point? *sigh*

Look, this isn't a "NERF the NC!" thread. I'm just asking....no, pleading, for the Vanu to get some cool items that are honestly fun to use. I bought a 3 month boost for my Vanu character recently, and if it was not for that, I'd be jumping ship to an NC character right now instead of writing this just to see what they have to offer.

So, come on, Sony. Show the Vanu some love. Please?

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  2. Shoe

The main gimmick the Mag has is manoeuvrability. If you're in a one-to-one fight with another MBT and you've no cover you're doing it wrong. I'm not much of a Mag driver but people tell me their best tactic is pop out of cover, fire, strafe back into cover. Be nimble. I've been the gunner for Mags which have destroyed multiple Vanguards by being slippery and mobile and focussing primary and secondary weapons fire.

Off the top of my head Reavers statistically do the worst of the ESFs. At any rate ESF flying is quite a long process to learn, so of course you get your backside kicked after a month. I've been playing for two or three and I'm only just starting to feel more confident in a Scythe.

This would be nice, but then people start moaning about imbalance. Half of the playerbase seem to want asymmetrical teams while the other half seem to assume this is unfair. The Devs don't really get easy choices here, although a little more imagination would be nice.
    • Up x 4
  3. VakarisJ

It's true that the mag's main gimmick is maneuverability, but that still means that you have to be better then you opponent to win, or catch the off guard. That also includes AP lightnings, if you're gunnerless.

Also, you can't simply catch a vanguard off guard, you have to scare them into popping their shield first, otherwise they'll kill you even if you're firing at their back with your FPC and Saron.
    Similar thing goes for lockdown prowlers -- you have to sneak up on their backs with them looking the other way, otherwise, they'll out-DPS you, even if you fire at their rear.

The things I find great about the mag, is that it can go across terrain other tanks can't and maintain gun stability in doing so. In addition, it can use magburn to get out of problematic situations, get around corners in the blink of an eye and climb normally impassable terrain. The last thing that I like about it is that it's a hovertank. That means that enemies can actually miss by firing under you and that you can make minor corrections in your aim by drifting slightly to the side.

It's a tank that requires two good tankers and good luck to be effective, unlike the lolshield and the lockdown versions of the other two factions. I mean seriously, lockdown has some disadvantages attached to it, but the shield?
    C4? Pop shield.
    Ambushed? Pop shield.
    Failing to hit target? Pop shield.
    Forgot to repair? Pop shield.
    Overextended? Pop shield.

Against a shielded vanguard, the only winning move in not to play, AKA to run away.
    • Up x 1
  4. Bonom Denej

Lasers and spandex.
    • Up x 5
  5. ZeroErrorz

vs already got
    -SPANDEX
    -best weapon look imo
    -SCYTHE
    -SWAGRIDER
    -and most importantly VS FEMALE INFIL a thing nc and tr love teabag all day
    • Up x 1
  6. JonboyX

You've only been playing a month, so it's not much to lose... why not try playing NC for a month?

Two things strike me as being fundamental to early PS2 experiences:

Firstly, the empires are not identical, particularly in their starter gear, so you will find one empire suits your skills/ability/style more than the others.
    VS are middle of the road, with an emphasis on ease of use. I agree in that when I look at the VS arsenal, nothing excites me. But then, you've very few duffers in there and haven't had really in a long time. Consensus (as I understand it) is that VS are easier to start with, but harder to become great with as the guns are fairly "Vanilla".

Secondly, unless you're an innate MLG Pro, in the first month you're going to get ripped to shreds by everything anyway, because like it or not, practise and experience (aka situational awareness) is a major part of this game. By the end of the second month you may feel very differently about what you have.
    • Up x 4
  7. moriarrr-ceres

I love my vanu character but i loved him 1000x in ps1.
    All our most interresting arsenal isnt implemented well in ps2
    Right now our lasher smell ****, the magrider cant pass rivers (no water yet)' our saron lazer travel slower than a tank shell (joke inside), we can't change type of ammo. We dont have starfire nor jetpacks...the tresher isnt implemented. All of these made this faction unique and need to come back in ps2. For now im happy with my scythe and the design of our empire.
  8. moriarrr-ceres

"Blabla vanu easymode"
    What is most difficult:
    Need 4bodyshot to kill a heavy
    or
    Need 5 or 6 bodyshot to kill the same heavy
  9. Psykmoe

Original poster really needs to cite his sources when he claims ESFs have different amounts of health/armor.

Previous Poster: No automatic weapon carried by infantry kills in 4 shots to the body except the automatic shotgun, which every faction gets, and both engineer and HA can get battle rifles which kill in 4 body shots out to 8 meters before losing damage, so you're in luck!
    • Up x 2
  10. EmmettLBrown

Don't you guys have a tank that can boost straight up a cliff?
    • Up x 6
  11. HadesR

Isn't that how it should be ?

Either by better skills
    or better tactics
    or better positioning

etc etc
    • Up x 2
  12. moriarrr-ceres

Yeah maybe 5shot with the gauss its one round less
  13. Daibar

you can't use Eska as an example, he's the exception, i know i've played with him for nearly a year.
    what he does, very few can do.

find me 600 more videos of VS MBT doing the same thing and then i'll change my mind, but just because eska can do it, does not mean it's standard.

he even once rolled a maggy through allatum biolab.. the top level i mean.. not below it
  14. moriarrr-ceres

But for the op scythe and mag are maybe not the best but they are swags as hell :)
    You need to practice more these vehicules are totaly capable to compete others (maybe less against a van) but you have all your luck to win if you are carefull and of course have gunner with halbeard or saron.a dedicated vocal is the best weapon a tank can have.
  15. EmmettLBrown

I can use him as an example because it shows what you can accomplish if you don't wine about the tools your empire have. Show me 1 vid of a vanguard or prowler that can climb a cliff like that.
    • Up x 3
  16. JudgeNu

this I believe is incorrect
    I'd say its more of different strengths and weakness.
  17. Blinklys

Nah...

We have an ESF shaped like the logo from Quake!
    We have a hovering MBT that can magburn on top of buildings and into some enclosed bases.
    We have lashers and lancers which are truly unique and fun.

We have some cool and unique toys. On the other hand the NC has even more usefull stuff.
  18. VakarisJ

What you aren't taking into account is what happens after, which is that the mag dies 90% of the time upon landing. It takes luck and skill to actually land it correctly and the slightest mistake will mean a suicide. As seen in the video.

Besides, few people aside from Eska, even try that. The few people that do, are likely taught personally by Eska.

As in severely better. If your skill is about the same and you're aware of each other's presence, then the mag is usually forced to run and try again.

Prowlers have 50% more DPS to compensate for lack of skill, even more with lockdown.
    Vangaurds have shields, that effectively give them double health and makes positioning, awareness and a lot of tactical decisions redundant. In addition, they have more armor, and more DPS and muzzle velocity on their main cannon.

Well if you respond to his statement about the magburner that way, then I'll just point out that just about everyone on the NC uses the "I win" button, that is the shield, which doesn't even need skill to be effective, and doesn't have a 90% fail rate after which it kills you if you don't pass a real-world skill check and dice-roll.

I might as well demand for a video, where a shielded vanguard loses a fight of even skill against a mag, that had ambushed the vaguard, in response. You won't find one.
  19. Xasapis

There are a few rock formations that one can glitch a much higher than normal boost, but this behaviour has been practically erased from the game a year ago.

Under normal conditions magburn offers zero traction.

Not to mention that those boost offer no practical benefit, to begin with.
  20. moriarrr-ceres

Yea i agree with that all van use the shield because its better than any utility they dispose you can say its op. Mag drivers and prowler use some time ir smoke or even radar or fire extection in certain situarion (like in big battles) the magboost is good for tank hunting but you can switch it if the battle is in entrangled areas.