Absurd Gameplay... Tanks Firing INTO Buildings

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DeadlyPeanutt, Feb 4, 2014.

1. DeadlyPeanutt

I was in Connery VS this morning, medium sized base on flat hilly ground. fighting INSIDE a base building near a cap point, on a landing inside between two staircases.

Infantry slugging it out toe to toe over the cap point.

fun battle, lots of maxes, engies (like me), HA, medics (thanks to all medics for the MULTIPLE revives in these battles that we engies don't have time to thank you for). Much like a biolab fight, with one exception.

Problem was we were being spammed from the OUTSIDE of the building by tanks. Fighting on a landing, inside the building, between two staircases. I saw them on a map, they were behind a hill, i think firing into a doorway in an adjacent room.

I was killed MANY times by tanks parked behind a hill a hundred yards away.

This is STUPID gameplay... (this is a disgusted comment... not a whine). It is STUPID game design when a tanker who is NOT in the action is spamming a fight inside a building. One level 38 and one level 58 tanker got MANY certs off of tossing rounds into a doorway and killing the maxes i was repairing and me, as we were TRYING to fight other infantry. Lord knows how many friendly kills this tankers got, because their friendlies were all over that area.

What sort of military organization would design bases with spawn shields and no shields over doorways leading to cap areas that can be spammed by armor from the outside.

*facepalm*

oh, and tankers, before you start replying that the base design is fine, tell us how many certs have you made spamming buildings in the last month... THEN you may comment.
    • Up x 15
  2. JonboyX

Yes. It is stupid.

The purpose of a tower, for example, is to rise high above ground level so as to provide an enhanced visibility of the area around it. THAT is the point of a tower. If you build a tower, you find a local maxima, or optimised maxima, in the landscape and place it there.

PS2 developers though have decided to stick towers in local minima ... i.e. big dips in the ground, whereby the surrounding areas are on the same level as the middle of the tower :rolleyes:

Having the high point for defence has been known about for thousands of years, yet seemingly all this has been forgotten in the distant future...
    • Up x 23
  3. indianahoops

Que the people that will say that "This is a combined arms game" and designing bases so tanks can't farm infantry is "dummy" down the game. "Go play CoD!!!"

That some how sitting in a tank behind a hill just firing into the base is the peek of intelligent FPS game play.

Hossin and new Amerish can't get here soon enough...
    • Up x 5
  4. Johnnyseven

Defend aggressively, take the fight to the besieging forces. If you choose to cower inside a building accept the consequences as the enemy essentially tries to smoke you out.

This coming from someone who splits their time between infantry teamplay and Vanguard small squad/solo play. From an outfit who often ends up sitting inside buildings fending off attackers.
    • Up x 7
  5. indianahoops

Kinda hard to "take the fight to them" when the Vehicle pad and basically all openings in the base are being shelled.

Its stupid when the attackers can circle a base with some tanks and just sit there and shell a base.

They are not in the fight at all.....they are just farming.
    • Up x 1
  6. Botji

So why dont you take the fight to the besieging forces instead of sitting instide buildings?

Im pretty sure its the same reason we all end up there.
  7. Yasa

I am just happy that tanks cannot just blow up buildings.
  8. Mustang

SoE really has their work cut out for them because to continue focusing toward infantry battles will eventually make tanks utterly useless for anything other than killing other tanks outside of bases in open fields
  9. Johnnyseven

If its at this point then it sounds to me like you need to GG out of there. You need to, like I said, defend aggressively and attack them before they manage to park up all around the base.

Of course they are in the fight, they've just put themselves - been allowed to put themselves - in the far more advantageous position of the two sides participating in said fight.
    • Up x 3
  10. Kristan

So things haven't changed since PS1? Oh yeah, we don't have Flails yet.
  11. come1l

This is true that towers are terribly designed.
  12. Maelthra

Would Flails even work in this game? You can't kill what doesn't render for you so the Flail either wouldn't work or it would have a range of 300 meters or less (which a regular tank can do, so...) I suppose it could at least kill tanks but infantry would be relatively safe from the Flail's uber long range ownage.
  13. TheFamilyGhost

Stand in a spam zone, get spammed.

Its not the game's fault it is your fault. Why? Two immediate reasons:

1. You let the enemy get there.
    2. You didn't reposition after they made the position untenable.
    • Up x 5
  14. McToast

Moin

In my opinion it's a tanks job to blow up infantry defending the capturepoint. And its your own tanks/aircrafts job do keep them from doing it. You don't have tanks or aircrafts but the enemy does? Accept fighting an uphill battle, this is "combined arms".
    There could be a bit more protection around the spawnroom so defenders can spread a bit more easily across the base, but the capture points should be at least partially attackable by tanks and aircrafts.
    • Up x 3
  15. Kristan

Hmm, good point. Unless Flail will have unlimited rendering range like it was with bugged IRNV scope for aircrafts.
  16. Johnnyseven

Its not even a case of combined arms, infantry are god-like at anti vehicle if they take the initiative and move to attack them when they vehicles are in open ground or both vehicles and infantry are in equally rocky/covered terrain.

Only when the infantry are in open ground or confined spaces and the enemy vehicles are not do enemy vehicles melt face.
    • Up x 1
  17. Phyr

The last time they tried to "fix" vehicles firing into building they made the windows smaller and actually made it harder on defenders.
    • Up x 1
  18. PurpleOtter

This was a conscious decision by the developers. Their intent was to mitigate ANY advantage a defender might have over an attacker. Hence the inability to see/fire effectively from a tower. They were trying to avoid the siege warfare that was part and parcel of PS1. They were attempting to appeal to the COD kiddies sense of gameplay, god forbid you have to work for something. Bases were intended as nothing more than convenient places to meet to shoot at each other.
    • Up x 2
  19. Axehilt

One school of thought is that bases should be created in a way which creates interesting, fun, dynamic battles, where two even forces can meet and the side employing superior skill, tactics, and strategy wins.

The other school of thought wants realism. "Every base a Bio Lab." Defenders are always The Farmers, and attackers The Farmed. The same bases would be fought at constantly because nothing would ever be taken, because the bases would be so defender-biased that it requires dramatic pop advantage to win.
  20. Frosty The Pyro

generaly when tank have you surrounded in such a way to do that, you have already lost, its a seige, and those underseige almost never break the seige themselves. The solution is to go to the next base and grab your own armor/air to sweep away the enemy armor, or go to the next base and set up legitmate AV defences, mine the road and be waiting with HA and AV turrets.
    • Up x 1