What is wrong with having WW2 German looking helmets?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hoki, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eugenitor

Oh for the love of....

IT'S A HEMISPHERE WITH A RIDGE. It's the simplest and most functional design you can come up with for a helmet. It has no symbolism of its own. It's a HELMET. It looks like what it's supposed to do.
    • Up x 6
  2. Xhaleon

I know right? I want to see a sleek, minimalist, open face, no visor helmet that reminds us of some real and practical service helmets, but T-ray is just being T-ray. Or stockholders being stockholders, whichever.

Given that the last Command Center used that particular fanart version with the nose edited out, I'd say the latter.
    • Up x 4
  3. EliteEskimo

I'd prefer getting away from strictly German designs, not that there's anything wrong with German designs, and getting TR back to some awesome looking Star Wars Armor/Helmets from the clone wars era. Lets be honest, this TR helmet is pretty darn awesome.

[IMG]

Now lets design something full body, a helmet and armor combo, like the following and even poor college students like myself will find a way to buy it.:D

[IMG]
    • Up x 3
  4. Liquid23

I wish they would stop making helmets and work on making some thong bikini armor... I bet that would sell more than all the helmets made so far combined
    • Up x 3
  5. Takoita

Eh? Did that dude really say that Vader's helmet is not cool? What's wrong with him?
  6. NoInstructions

Haha, that's the exact reason why they don't want to let it in the game. And because his design looked like Killzone fanart.
  7. Scudmungus

From iconic to generic - that's some art direction! :D

- joking aside, they probably just want to build a distinct style for PS2, a body of work that one can recognize as being 'of PS2'. Granted, IMO that body of work looks like 'generic spacetrooper'.

On the plus side, they're managed to set a style for each faction.

Of course, they might simply be over-sensitive*

which would be strange as it would seem like the message is:
    Russian = good. German = bad.

• Up x 1
  8. Ganelon

Uhm, armies all over the world use helmets based on the WWII German one.
  9. ChipMHazard

That would be my guess as well. TRay didn't mention anything about the helmet looking too much like a WW2 german helmet, the other members did. Only thing TRay mentioned was that it didn't look "cold weather" enough and later made the comment about it looking too similar. Probably a reference to still not looking "cold weather" enough, but I could see it also meaning that it looks too much like the reference material. Plus he obviously has a pretty good idea of what he thinks TR equipment should look like in general terms. (The silly first generation helmets not withstanding; Skull, psycho helmets etc.)
    • Up x 1
  10. Kumaro

[IMG]

Just saying XD
    • Up x 1
  11. Jaedrik

SOE has PC policies, of course they wouldn't allow it, and pointing out contradictions in already present media does nothing to solve the issue; political correctness (read: not the company, or the people, just the policy) is inherently dishonest and often descends into blatant internal contradiction. I think that PC policy in all of life is a poisonous thing that needs to be pulled up by the roots and tossed aside, but it does not seem like a movable policy. I would have lauded Arctorn if he stuck to the helmet shape, but I suppose the lure of whatever drove him to change it is stronger than such ideology, or perhaps he doesn't care about that at all.
    Edit: That is not to say that its current state does not look cool.
    Edit: Now that I think about it, it may not be the reason they (TRay et al.) wanted to change it at all.
  12. Kumaro

To make this short and sweet or rough...

This sounds like a far fetched nitpick witch hunt. I wonder if you guys even understand how pathetic this WW2 reference discussion looks from an observing standpoint.

read up on symbolism and WW2 please and take those discussions to a more fitting place than here.

Like said in later posts. And looking at this game. I am quite sure they where thinking of being original and not going to far into the generic stuff. Also TR seems more Russian than German <.< Just look at their gasmask helmet. Like taken from spetznas equipment XD
    • Up x 2
  13. FIN Faravid

14. kadney

[IMG]

Do! Want! Naow!
    • Up x 1
  15. Sharpe

Regardless of whatever did or didn't happen in WW1 / 2 - the germans sure had the coolest looking uniforms, tanks and airplanes. I think they actually designed stuff with that in mind, it couldn't have been a coincidence so consistently.
    Other armies of the period just went for functionality.
  16. MaxDamage

Even ignoring the fact that one of the names of the art director is "Isaac", maybe putting forward **** apparel as a suggestion is not your best bet of having a submission accepted.

He has been similarly dismissive of plain berets and cowboy hats, basically anything that links too strongly to a regular "real world" item of clothing. I don't think he's particularly singling this out at all.
  17. ChipMHazard

Wow, really?
  18. WTSherman

If you ask me the top one looks more like a US M1 helmet than a Stalnhelm. A Stalnhelm has a much wider back that extends much lower, and a more pronounced visor that vaguely resembles a baseball helmet.

Top: US M1 Bottom: Stalnhelm
    [IMG]

[IMG]

If I had to guess, the real reason is probably that they feel like unless it has sufficient bevels and extra bits it doesn't feel "sci-fi enough". I've noticed that in general, PS2 does not like smooth surfaces.
  19. TheShrapnelKing

Great job TRay - you turned something that looked awesome into something that doesn't look as awesome.

TR Soldiers in Helghast-style, Germanic uniforms just makes bloody sense - the last one of the iterations of that helmet where it still had a Stahlhelm shape was the best one, it's great, if I had a TR character I'd totally get that helmet.
  20. DQCraze

Whats wrong? If youre asking that question you probably have no understanding of real war, or why the memory of **** Germany should be bannished forever. Sometimes in life something so heinous happens that the only place it is up for discussion is in a historical context. This is one of them. The German uniform was designed towards intimidation, with the uniform came the stigma of torture and oppression. So yes its still offensive and should be if you care about life in any way.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.