2014 Membership - Update from Smed

Discussion in 'Official News and Announcements' started by Luperza, Jan 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ash87

I kind of objected to the first post and Piestro shot my arguments full of holes.

I like the changes proposed, +1 support.
  2. RogueVindicare

While I also would have actually like the token system more (assuming Player Studio and bundles were included), I think the system will be fine.

What's 10% worth, you ask? IF you save 2 months worth of SC, i.e. 1000, it's the difference between buying 2 items on sale and 3 items, assuming the items you're buying are typically 700 SC (And therefore 350 SC on sale). The additional 10% makes them 315 SC, which means you can afford 3 items and still have 55 SC left over.

Or, more simplistically, it means you can (very easily and reliably, assuming sales stay at 50% off) buy 3 sale items every 2 months.

Now, if you're one of those people who owns virtually everything they would want to buy in game already (Aside from new helmets and camos), that's a slightly different issue. It was mentioned before that they might consider adding longer lasting, more expensive boosts when the "2000 SC token" deal was still on the table. Not sure if that's still something they're considering now that they've gone back to the 500 SC reward model.
  3. BuzKild

Why I like to support this game
  4. tenox

I'd like to see focus move away from these things, but obviously corporate is only interested in certain numbers and don't really care about the internal workings of the game proper, just the metrics that will make people who read prospectus (hi) think "I should buy more of this stock."

Not an easy task when your networks are so readily taken down by what is essentially a large group of pissed off young people who don't like being told they can't negotiate during a job interview (because they will simply be passed over until the skill-set that doesn't value its own worth comes up), while CEO's get one on one union contracts with massive dollar amounts attached to their being terminated. It really doesn't inspire investor confidence, this way of doing things.

You have saved both my all access accounts with this response, however and saving me ten dollars in the process is almost enough to think "only five more and I could have a third account Hmmmmm". Economy being what it is, probably not but the thought is there.

It is clear to anyone who thinks these things on a regular basis that the subscriber number + the logged in per time period x and similar data charts would be all sorts of fun and games for corporate.

Where I would like to see the focus move is in addressing long standing (since day one) community issues, such as the inability to map yaw to the mouse and roll onto the keyboard as well as several others that cause certain smaller segments of the player base to be nasty badger no honey. (hi)

1:10:100 rule makes it pretty clear if you deal with what pisses off honey badgers the most, they turn into lovely fresh smelling "come play with us this is more fun than breathing" Tom Sawyer type attractors, rather than say Smaugh and the "burn it all and let the rain wash it out" type detractors.

But, yanoo. A mantis has got to do what a mantis has got to do.
    SPACEGHOST
  5. SadeSkirata

*Claps* Good job SOE. By appeasing the many customers, you have earned far more respect than you may think. I see what you were thinking behind the change, but (as you could CLEARLY tell by the unwelcoming responses) acknowledged the disapproval of the audience and solved the manner agreeable to the potential buyers (I myself am not a premium member, however I say with certainty i would not have with the change) and also assuring profits for the company who produced, and maintains the game. I play another game by a different company that might as well front up scam its players with falsely advertised deals and unwarranted changes, so to see this response from a company following a player-based outcry to a drastic change makes me smile. You certainly are proving that you want to be as fair to customers as possible. Kudos to you SOE. For once, I am very pleased with changes made.

Now that cursed Lattice. . .is another topic. . .
  6. khamele0n

I dont get it the 2000sc was way better this is what happens when ppl whine just for the sake of whining, props to sc for listening to the majority but i wish they didnt.
  7. Villanuk

If you brought an item for 250SC you would loose the rest of the SC and take in mind there is very little to purchase at 2000sc. With the 500SC you get, you can by anything when you want it and save it up. So when the daily sales are on you can buy something for the fraction of the price.
    • Up x 1
  8. Boogalo

Even in that scenario, I would still prefer the 2000SC voucher. Given, I have more than enough cash saved up from triple cash deals and walmart +500 $15 cards. I would rather supplement with cards than be stuck with 500/month.

With the voucher I would snag some more expensive things I can't make myself buy with cash because I'm a cheapskate.
  9. SirMark9

All right, now this is something I can get behind!

I haven't checked on the situation since the initial outbreak, but the current plan definitely gets two thumbs up from me! I'll give my feedback for each point as well in case of further deliberation. Hopefully after all this finally settles down you guys can get a well deserved break from this chaos.

1 & 2) Considering I only really play Planetside 2, this change really doesn't affect me. However , I did dip into DC Universe Online, so maybe this will give me an excuse to revisit that game (and perhaps even buy more SC! :D)
    3) My deepest gratitude for this compromise! The ability to stock up and to know I will be able to claim the 500 SC each month personally adds value to my subscription (Yearly Sub = $120, SC Bonus $60 [$5 a month], Sub Value Payment = $60) in addition to relieving my worries about purchasing my sub back in December of 2013. While I know some rather buy on impulse with the voucher, I do prefer stocking up and "min-maxing" with my SC transactions. If I were a wealthy man, this would be another story, but once again, thank you.
    4) Only question I have here is will there still be the Planetside 2 Daily Member sales, and if so will it stack with the "flat" 10% off perk? (I would imagine no, but it never hurts to ask!)
    5) I do not live in Europe, but I do hope their situation will be sorted out.
    6) Another cheer from me! Problem is, I gotta get my weapons sorted out first before delving deep into cosmetics...
    7) Consoles do not affect me, although I do wish them luck with whatever they end up with.

Thank you for your hard work. May this be sorted out soon,
    - SirMark9
    • Up x 1
  10. Crzy1

Nice change. Can't say it adds anymore value for me as Planetside 2 is the only SOE game I play, but it's still much better than the bait-and-switch that was offered up the other day. If you hadn't put that out there, I probably would have stayed subscribed, but I'm not reupping until Planetside 2 starts to straighten up. These performance updates have been anything but for me.
  11. Stopper

Hello,

Just a quick post to say - or remember - some evidence (at least fo myself).

Planetside 2 is truly an extraordinary game and that's why I have subscribed to (and maintened) a premium membership since the launch.

I understand that some people / players may dislike the changes to their membership, especially young players, but it should be remembered that PS2 is a free game. That's why I've subscribed to a membership : because I think it really deserves the money I gave to it's editor. And, honestly, what is the monthly price of the premium membership (which allows to play nights and days) when compared to the price of a movie at theater for just two hours ?

I'm forty years old and nothing like this existed when I was young. Then, I remember when I discovered online gaming back in 1999 with Quake III (then his mod WFA). It was truly a blast but I have to admit that PS2 is awesome, even now that I know online FPS for a few years.

The dev team did realy an extraordinary job with PS2, especially for a game officially supposed to be free (OK, SOE did probably it because she was expecting lots of memberships and/or ingame sells, but it's nonetheless a great game,).

So, I think that PS2 should be encouraged (if the word exists in English).
  12. Tinuva

Firstly apologies if I originally offended you with my tone.

What I was referring to (it is also in the post you quoted) was that on reddit Smedley stated that they were considering including Player Studio items at the cost of SOE. As I have said, I was against the originally proposed model if it excluded these items as well as bundles (although I admit they couldnt do all bundles but perhaps ones under 1000SC).

Now with regards to certainty vs the unknown: having certainty means that you make a purchase without fear. Fear exists when you make a decision involving unknown elements because you are uncertain as to how things may pan out, hence the term fear the unknown. What I mean by this is that if you are really holding out for a Lasher (700SC), then you could purchase this item as soon as you are granted a token. However with being granted 500SC you either have to wait for a sale or wait 2 months. Now what happens if the item doesnt go on sale so you wait 2 months and purchase it for 700SC with your 1000SC? Now it goes on sale, so you missed out, but not only that but you are left with 300SC which you still cant use to buy an item even a 700SC item on sale.

In that 2 month period you could have bought a Lasher and a Decimator with tokens. Sure you may end lucky but then you are playing with chance. For me though, I will always take a sure thing.

I respect your opinion though.
    Tinuva450
    • Up x 1
  13. Mormomboy

Except it still meant only one item. Even if it was a more expensive item. That was the problem people had.
    • Up x 1
  14. YouWannaBeBroski

I agree. Yes if you find an item on sale you get to save 250sc, but with the 2000sc voucher you dont have to wait for it to go on sale! just get it for 700 or better if it is in a package get the whole package for 1600 or whatever it may be. I'd much rather spend another 10$ to use just for deals of the day and use the 2000sc for a package or item I don't want to wait and pray will go on sale.

I think the best solution here is:

Now the solution is you have to claim the 500sc that you can use anyway you want. Well why not have both options. Be able to claim the 500sc as normal or choose the 2000sc one item voucher.

This will keep anyone who liked the change happy and those who disliked it happy as well. Great for everyone IMO.

Just my thoughts on the situation.
    • Up x 4
  15. Noc65

From my end:
    1. Email about interesting change to membership
    2. A few days to think about it, decide it's win-win for me/SOE
    3. Announcement including lifting of restrictions, even more perks
    4. SAME DAY announcement reverting back to the status quo
    That's definitely a killjoy on what is still an awesome change.

And you definitely are one of the many people I complain about who can't do math. If you get one free item a month that drives prices down, not up. Item prices then have to compete with being worth their cost since everything overpriced will be purchased with a token (0 sc). The exclusions were something they immediately said they were willing to eat, nullifying that complaint. You wouldn't NEED sales because you'd get the item outright and waiting for the sale becomes unnecessary. 500 SC does not go far at all. And actually getting stuff for multiple games would be the only reason I'd ever check out those stores so it's win-win for SOE.

As far as the EQ2 stuff, I really can't comment. Maybe their market is very different so 500 SC gets you a lot of little things and the big ticket items (>500) are few and insignificant. It is undeniable that from the PS2 side, it was a complete win, and now is back to the status quo. Without the EQ2 side of the picture (which you seem to be implying is the real culprit, which may make sense) it looks like people knee-jerking at change and kicking a gift-horse in the groin for daring to offer a deal that was better for both the consumer and the producer. People can't stand the latter even if it's a mutual win apparently.
  16. Mormomboy

I do like the post I saw earlier in this thread, the ability to choose each month either the voucher or the SC. That would be pretty sweet.
  17. Dartz

Exactly...Still don't get how people believe 500SC its better than the 2000SC Value! They could make bundles for the player crafted Items!!!
  18. Mormomboy

I agree for the most part, however. Each faction has around 7-10 250 SC items. During Christmas week there was a 1 SC and a 99 SC item almost every day. Good items too.
    Bundles were excluded.

I would have gone willingly with voucher if bundles were included. However, they were not part of that deal. Meaning that all of the bundles that are often a great deal, and all of the cheaper items would be a waste of your token.
  19. Darkhand

I have re-instated my membership happily. The increase in value I am receiving is great. I'll login once a month to claim my 500SC in case I am not playing for some reason.
    • Up x 2
  20. Darkhand

Because they didn't say ALL 2000SC items would be available dude.

Read what they wrote; there were multiple exceptions to the rule.
    • Up x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.