Squad Deploy nerf exposes the horrible base design

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by jak, Nov 13, 2013.

1. jak

That's not at all what I'm suggesting. People like Eskimo and other has added refinements that produce even cooler stuff than my OP, which allows all types of players to enjoy combined arms combat.
    • Up x 3
  2. Sen7rygun

Already did. I just said my piece and left it there. Repeating yourself over and over isn't actually a form of argument so I avoid doing it.

My posts are all generally in support of what you would like to see and include an explanation as to why I think the SLD changes will not have any real effect on the problems they were meant to solve.

You also read and up voted all of them I believe.
  3. Cab00se187

Everyone seems to see their flow of battle differently. I personally look at the checkpoints on Indar as some of the final staging grounds for a last line of defense before the attacking forces breaks through. There is two huge ones, Quartz Ridge and Howling Pass. They have shields to keep the enemy armor at bay and if the enemy takes them down that's mostly due to players just not give a rats *** about them. Once the enemy has broken through the next place shouldn't be another walled off area, it's just small little outposts that you most likely have to slow the attackers down at the allow time to gather a counter attack from either Hvar or Rashnu.

Edit: And vice versa for Dahaka and Mao
    • Up x 1
  4. CDN_Wolvie

That is a whole lot of assuming you are making about the kinds of battles and playstyle I have in this game or that I want in this game. Anyone who has spent time playing with me knows you don't know what the **** you are talking about. Hell, you're being so lazy in your attack, you didn't even bother to look up my character sheet and try to make the assumptions based off of a quick glance, let alone seeing what I have said on the matter in the past - so you've just made up some BS lies about me. You're so deep in your own lies you don't even realize when you're trying to character assassinate your own strawman.

Proof that you would have not thought you could get away with the lie had you bothered to read an old thread: I've made varying suggestions on this theme for some time now that the game needs the opposite of "scripted" wins by allowing for dynamic player placed defenses to change up the 'script' on a base's dynamics:
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...on-existing-building.65475/page-8#post-874671
  5. jak

I was just joking around. :) But yes, I'm planning to only respond to posts that address the OP from now on, as you bring up a valid point.
  6. starecrow

• Up x 1
  7. Flapatax

I heard you advocated euthanizing all users of the jackhammer, comment?

hiisssss, /r/planetside, boooo.

I personally only care about what I see on the test and live servers. Anything they say officially I take with a grain of salt. Chatter in a stream? Super ehhhhh.

To be honest amp stations are probably the base type in the least need of a revamp. They have infantry areas, courtyards, wide open enough for air to take part...

Actually, to be completely honest, the only base types I have a real issue with are the pointless outposts in between the major ones.
    • Up x 3
  8. TheFamilyGhost

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to insult you. My words were too strong.

I don't need to look you up- it doesn't matter. I don't equate avatars to someone's ability to reason in real life.

I like dynamic player based defenses. They sound good. If you want the opposite of scripted wins, why are you defending the notion of barring vehicles from places (that they can't really do well in anyway), and nerfing infantry sot hat they are non-factors in inter-base pushes?
  9. TheFamilyGhost

Why can a defense not be mounted at a position that is removed from the enemy's objective?

It is not sound tactics to wait for battle at an anemy's objective. It is better to seek them out, hit them while forming or in transit, not after they have invested a position.

So, the OPs notion of nerfing infantry in the open cripple people that fight in advanced positions.

Is it not? I wonder what Operation Uranus (the relief of Stalingrad) was then.

thanks.
  10. TheFamilyGhost

Hmm, then what is this?

It sure looks to me like a request for infantry only areas, and arbitrary nerfing of infantry as a promotion of combined arms!

What you ask for in #1 & #2 is NOT combined arms. It is fragmenting weapon systems' synergies (which the best team will exploit the best way) that have clearly shown themselves to be integral parts of one another for most of the last 100 years.
  11. TheFamilyGhost

Sorry, too much emotion, and too long.

Anyway, you want infantry only and tank only areas. I, and others, disagree. When viewed in the context of replayability, the notion fails. When viewed in the context of balance, it is a major change that is fully un-needed, and will only need to more resource-draining tweeks that will never end. Why will they never end? Because if you guys can't figure out how to keep the tanks off you now, you never will, and will continue to scream for more "improvements".

Presenting #1 (obviously the prime motive, especially when prefaced by a protestation of the loss of the squadleader spawn), and then offering a concession, #2, is weird. Is that how gameplay is adjusted now? By making concessions hoping that some splinter group that dies to much to infantry in the field will catch on for their piece of the nerf pie?

I really wish I could listen in on the TS in your *outfit*. I bet it is nothing but spam on OP, UP, outnumbered, OMG that can't kill me, those LOLpods got to go...etc etc. Yeah, I know the type. Never satisfied and raging at every piece of bad luck. I couldn't imagine trying to placate these peope.

You make excuses as to why you can't live with anything else, and continue to equate my avatar with my ability to reason. No sense in arguing at length about it. We are two different types of gamers. I want varying challenges, and I want them to be very difficult. Judging by your OP, you want to limit those challenges, and make them softer. We'll never agree.

Ideas are good. Be ready to defend them, and when proven bad, be prepared to revise or revoke them.
  12. Sock

Nuclear capabilities and long range missile strikes have also been an integral part of the war machine for some time now, but that doesn't inherently make them good gameplay mechanics.
    • Up x 3
  13. TheFamilyGhost

I coulda swore someone was longing for Orbital Strikes in this thread.

Nuclear probably not. Long range missles....why not? It would give something for aircraft to go after. :)

I still can't see any gameplay benefit by precluding combat between the weapon systems we already have. It seems especially ridiculous that one would want to ban vehicles from the place that they are most easily killed! One of the challenges I love in this game is finding a way to work with divergent weapon systems in all sorts of challenging places. Why take some of those places away?
  14. Sock

Judging by all your cheer I'm going to assume you've never encountered multiple marauder harassers sitting on the tech plant balcony. Indoor fights should be won by infantry, not by who can point the most tanks at windows.
    • Up x 1
  15. TheFamilyGhost

Says you. I never saw the wisdom in thinking my position was "checkmate", and was now invulnerable. Thinking like that would seem to get one in a lot of trouble because one would think they are entitled to a win, but the enemy disagrees, and henceforth destroys the lax opponent.

Questions:

Who let the tanks get to that position you describe?

Did the tanks drive all the way to the spawn to find you, or did they achieve their positions through combat?
  16. Sock

You're missing the point of the post. It's not about HOW they got there, it's about whether or not they should be able to get there at all. You keep talking about combined arms gameplay. Combined arms is not tanks shelling a spawn room. Combined arms is tanks securing the perimeter of a base and allowing infantry to push in and take the point.
    • Up x 2
  17. Giggily

TheFamilyGhost why didn't you respond to my post pointing out that I have 77x more vehicle kills than you do, despite barely touching vehicles in this game?
  18. TheFamilyGhost

Say you.

How they got there is a big piece of this, and the one part all of you keep denying over and over again. You are purposely omitting a huge part of the game that the OPs suggestions will destroy. Namely, HOW the tanks got there.

Combined arms IS tanks shelling a spawn room. that big ole gun does a lot more than just kill tanks ya know, that's why tanks are kitted with different ammo types. Not knowing that tanks fit a variety of roles seems to be in full denial of actual combined arms actions.

Combined arms is NOT tanks securing a perimeter and allowing infantry to push in. I'm glad you wrote that though....it shows you want the same thing over and over again, which a lot of you have been denying. Here it is in writing.

I am ASTOUNDED that you are not aware of military history. tanks enter urban environments in tandem with infantry as SOP.

What you and your mates think would be awesome (prohibiting the really bad guys from blowing you up), would be a complete disaster for the combined arms game. With as good as this squad is, I'm also very surprised that you guys would be afraid of facing tanks in built up areas- where theya re most vulnerable.

Back to the main point:

If you let the enemy get to your spawn in such a way that you can't move, then IT IS YOUR FAULT, AND YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED TO "BASE CHECKMATE YOU CAN'T TOUCH ME NOW". YOU DESERVE TO SUFFER TO THE EXTENT THAT YOU CONTINUE TO RUN OTU THE SPAWN DOOR TO YOUR DEATH.
  19. Flapatax

Responses are crutches. Like vehicles. And this game.

Frankly, when I'm being censored by tank shells, presuming I've been able to stop crying from the humiliation, I find the best way to deal with it is to redeploy to a completely different base with a fight I would enjoy more (15-49% friendly pop, between 12-48 opposing players). It really helps maintain that sense of persistent, meaningful gameplay.

I could fall back on the lattice to defend stuff assuming the Zerg doesn't get bored and I enjoy waiting for 10 minutes for a timer to run out and then do the same boring thing over again, but I'm not an awful player who hates his free time and uses trees for target practice.
  20. TheFamilyGhost

Because stats are meaningless without victim TOM, or TOM before death.

I can camp all day long too. It has no impact on my (or yours) real life ability to cognitively reason; despite this thread.

You guys are so hung up on stats. That is the main motive behind your posts. You guys can really clean up your KD without tanks in the game, can't ya?