Lock-on missiles have negative influence on gaming experience

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by FigM, Oct 27, 2013.

1. GSZenith

so an avg of 25% fair enough. (inb4, click my vs alt with 220 ping, gotta love that 35% :rolleyes:)
  2. SolLeks

I never said this game should be balanced around future crew and the like, you're arguing with stuff I never even implied, Go back under your bridge.
    • Up x 1
  3. PWGuy93

Thanks for making the case for loadouts. That was the entire point of test server changes to the ESF, that they had to choose between A2A or A2G. The outcrys from ESF pilots crashed that change - for now.

I don't buy for a second the statement about masters of none. You're getting infantry feedback which highlights how we perceive you having the much much greater advantage. We can't chase you, we can't counter effectively with the burster weapon nerf, we have lockons and the base turrets, that's about it now. Tanks with Strikers, ask them if they feel good about their recent weapon "correction/nerf". In any case the "combined arms" players took out the turrets and the infiltrators took out the heavy assault players. Yet where is that acknowledgement - as if it's just heavy's with lockons and ESF flyers playing.

On the ground everything can and does kill us, tanks, infiltrators, the engineer out of rendering range with his mana turret, not to mention the harasser which is it's own bag of worms. Yet the complaints here from some ESF players is that lockons should be nerfed, should do less damage because it effects "their" air game. Combined arms? More like no arms, no resistance, no opposition so that a few can play AirSide 2.

I'm not giving in to the arguments, their weak, all of them!! It is a combined arms game, every player, every vehicle, every class is part of the game, it's not an ESF only game. ESFs can't have it all.

The ultimate decisions come from the devs. If they want to make this game more ESF friendly, they will. If they want to make it even more frustrating for ground players (like the biolab on test, or the burster nerf or the striker adjustment) they will. Right now as infantry, I feel like my game is being taken away one patch at a time and I will fight to prevent this, fight on these forums to highlight how from the infantry viewpoint ESFs do have it all and more.
  4. SolLeks

ESF's don't have it all and never have... and they won't even if we got the exact changes we have been pushing for... Just as you tell us to play on the ground (which I do, often) Please go and try to fly. Just try it, I bet you will crash on take off - or if you don't, you won't last 5 mins in a battle yet you claim that from the infantry's perspective, ESF are easymode... ESF should have an advantage dictated by the timer and resource cost alone... until you will let me spawn a new ESF from any base every 10 seconds, ESF should have an advantage otherwise you may as well delete them because they will have no point in this game.
    • Up x 2
  5. evansra

Dear Santa(SOE)

I would like to see a lock-on direction indicator added (possibly a blinking of the damage indicator), I think this would help with render issues and improve pilot/driver awareness.

Also a simple icon system to show the number of missiles incoming up to say 5.

Then a notification of launch. (possibly a yellow for lock, red for fired dot system on the hud)

Finally fix lock-on GvG tracking on fast vehicles, it is nearly impossible to get a lock-on missile to hit an harasser. Then make GvA tracking worse so pilots can try to avoid missiles rather than just try to outrun.

Thank you :)
    • Up x 2
  6. Earthman

The gist of what is being demanded in this thread is a weird archaic world in the far future with regeneration units and rebirth matrices, where lock-on missiles that exist today no longer exist and for some reason are never re-invented in favor of essentially sniper rifles, sniper rifles for everyone, even air-to-air combatants.

It's so artificially demanded that you may as well ask air combatants to swordfight each other on flybys because it takes more "skill".
    • Up x 1
  7. SolLeks

lolwhat?
    • Up x 1
  8. Earthman

"big wurdz bother me, deploy meme countermeasures!"

I'll give you a TL;DR version: whining about lock-on weapons is implying that direct-fire weapons are the only valid weapon system that should be allowed, and that seems very silly and artificial.

If that's too hard to read, I imagine those paint chips are delicious.
  9. SolLeks

No, your 'biwurdz' do not confuse me at all as I have a fairly decent vocabulary (and very crappy spelling). However the point of your post makes no sense at all.

on top of that, I am not against lock ons in this game, I am against the current implementation of them. Please come up with a real argument before you post again. someone else earlier in this thread said the exact same things you did, and I replied to them there, saying them again does not give them any more validation or credit than they did earlier in the thread.
    • Up x 2
  10. Earthman

Saying "u haev no real argument lol" does not make it so.

It's very easy to do this elsewhere. It's a cheap rhetorical magic trick, on the level of yelling "YOU LIE!" at presidents during speeches.
  11. Gheeta

The simple fact that a new player who has never touched a lock on weapon before is just as effective with it as someone who has spent long time using them speaks volumes how silly these weapons are. No one is saying infantry shouldn't have AA but lock on's are not the answer.

On top of that it does not help that lock on's have been bugged for a very long time, instant locks, ignoring flares, going through terrain etc.
    • Up x 2
  12. SolLeks

Ok, Because you are thick and apparently skipped to the last page I will restate what I posted early in this thread...

Why yes, that is the 'lore' for this game

Because they exist in real life does not mean they are good for a game. The real life argument holds no steam. Real life is made to give one side as large of an advantage as possible and in this case pulling out the real life argument hurts you as real life is specificly set up to not be balanced, and we want balance in this game. besides, there are ways of explaining why 900 years later lock ons may no longer be valid, after all, the missile tech may have been outpaced by passive anti missile tech.

and this just makes no sense and is grasping at straws.

So again, you have no argument.
    • Up x 1
  13. Tekuila

But you don't have an argument.
  14. Earthman

Again, you're only saying "you're wrong!" and "NYEEEEEH!" with nothing left to add.

What is permitted in your magic world of skill for shooting at aircraft, whether on the ground or other aircraft? And do we all need to wear your straightjacket for you to be happy?
  15. Earthman

I'll humor you one more time:

Lock-on missiles, as unpleasant as they are, need not be removed from the game. They serve a deterrent function both from lolpodding infantry unchecked (which I got screamed at for mentioning earlier in the thread) and as an air-to-air weapon that up until now there was apparently no complaints about, and no calls to nerf for that matter, and because there was no apparent buff to air-to-air missiles to justify the outrage, this just seems like some dogmatic "all lock ons are bad!!!!1" mantra being shouted again and again and again and again.
  16. SolLeks

Well, you could use any form of flack, and hay, I have no problem with lockons as long as they are not as easy and as damaging as the ones we have right now.

You still have no retort to me, you only go with personal attacks and try to make me look dumb. Again, Please come back when you have a argument otherwise you're just making a fool of yourself.

No, they can stay, but not in their current implementation. people have been complaining about them since day one, but most of us have been dealing with it. Currently flares don't even work and it has brought them to the attention of everyone who flies as they are extra annoying now.
    • Up x 1
  17. Earthman

How is calling out your approach of telling me how wrong I am, which is essentially saying "you're wrong!" with increasing rage, a "personal attack"?

Are you new to the internet?
  18. SolLeks

lol, I am not just saying you are wrong, I am telling you how so. You're entire argument rests on the "we have them in real life" argument, and since you seem to be new at gaming and don't understand that game =/= RL and to top that off, being a scifi game does not mean that this is even 900 years from our current direction! For all we know the people of earth that sent out the expedition the wormhole that then got closed and made everyone thats part of this universe may have never invented lock ons before they got to araxis (sp?).

At this point, I feel that you are someone who has come out from under your bridge, unhappy that your Ez mode AA may be changed, and knowing your argument holds no water you're just doing something that SOE hates when is called out, but I have no problem with that as I keep getting likes on my posts so it ends up my win.
  19. Shadowyc

The flares not working is a bug. If they were working, no one would care again, because the flares would be working. So...the flares just need to be fixed for everyone to not care again.
  20. SolLeks

yes it is a bug, but the fact we have to run flares and they are not baseline is a problem of its own. people would still care as this is not the first time people wanted lockons changed, SOE was planning to change all lockons to 'track the target' before the optimization with the release of the ESF patch, but with it pushed so far back now, I def don't want the devs to forget.