Any tactics against a G20 Vulcan-H Harasser?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by grazr, Oct 15, 2013.

1. shd

Best counter to the Vulcan Harasser is the Striker.

Oh, wait...

(on a serious note, annihilator work since it has the same pathing as the striker unlike the g2g which can't hit a moving vanguard; downside is the absurdly long lock on time on the anni and pathetic damage)
  2. Kaon1311

Please go to VR, grab a fully certed Vulcan on the harsser, sit 20m away from the Vanguard, time how long it takes to kill the MBT to the rear.
    Then look up the definition of instantly. Whatever your smoking must be some good mellowing **** :D
  3. Aegie

/suicide
  4. Kaon1311

Best thing versus a harasser is anyone who can aim :p

2/2 decent tank crews eat vulcan harassers. Sundies with the guns manned, AV mana turrets with good gunners, dumbfire launchers (since we have to get close to do the decent dps) ZOE maxes, 2 or 3 infantry focus firing....pretty much anything that isnt trying to solo a 2/3 vehicle.

Striker would be the worst tbh, since you have to get lock, then fire all 5 while still maintaing lock. In that time, the Harasser has driven up to you, slapped you in the face for trying to target a friendly then the vulcan has unloaded half a clip in your face :D
  5. Varnos

Take a lib with a dalton. Nomnom, Kaon.

that said, Kaon, aren't you a teensy bit biased (and/or ignoring the purpose of this thread, to discuss tactics to counter them) considering all you do is drive that thing?
    • Up x 3
  6. RHINO_Mk.II

Be in an aircraft.
    • Up x 2
  7. TTex11

Best counters to the Harasser right now have more or less been covered. Though the biggest one is attentiveness.

When you hear that Harasser engine, immediately take a look at your minimap. Is there a friendly one nearby? If not, you've probably got an enemy raider nearby about to come down on you. This is where most of the damage comes from, those hit and run Vulcan harassers that launch in, strike and burn out before they can be stopped.

Currently you cannot ignore a Vulcan harasser as they just do too much damage to allow you to allow that. Whether this will change in the future, we'll see but that's how things currently are. You (and those around you) MUST respond to it. If the Harasser(s) are currently doing the darting past and raking some infantry thing, the best response are the infantry's guns. That composite armor does make them resilient, but even half a dozen soldiers all shooting it simultaneously will make its health bleed away very rapidly (and typically cause the driver to panic and burn for safety, increasing the chance they make a mistake).

Rapid firing weapons that can afford to miss a few times and not lose much DPS tend to do the best against Harassers. Though certainly anyone who is confident in their aim with something slow firing and hard hitting such as an AP gun or Halberd will ruin their day. This is why Basilisks and G30 Walkers that have a good incline tend to ruin them. Also explains why the Skyguard can accumulate quite a bit of damage if they can catch the Harasser by surprise.

If you're in an ESF and trying to kill a Harasser of -any- kind, don't bother with your rocketpods unless you're sure you've got an excellent angle and range where you can't miss. Use your nosegun to eat away at their health. It hurts them more than you think, and aircraft are one thing the Harasser -can't- run away from. Even using turbo and racer, a Liberator can catch them and keep up with little trouble.

And lastly, speaking of the Liberator, the Shredder absolutely...well, shreds Harassers. Yes the Dalton will devastate them if you hit them with it, but the Shredder doesn't have to worry about the occasional missed shot. A steady and rapid DPS that just eats them for breakfast while the aircraft leisurely keeps up and keeps at an angle that that Vulcan (or Enforcer, or Saron) is pretty much an impotent and harmless weapon.
    • Up x 3
  8. Liewec123

phoenix works well, you can also whisper them when they're dead to let them know you just killed them from the spawn room ;)
    • Up x 1
  9. Spoprockel

Since we don't have a good counter apart from vast numbers, something should be implemented!

Once the performance stuff is done, we need the PTBD implemented, a Portable Tractor Beam Device.

Make it moderately cheap cert- and SC-wise and have it replace the engineer turret.

The idea is simple:
    You aim at small to moderate vehicles (flash / harasser), pull the trigger and as long as you have LOS and they are in range the vehicle gets slowed down.
    Make a cert tree to increase range / amount of slowing down.

Since everything needs a counter, give one to flash / harasser users:
    The Tractor Beam Disruptor, works like flares, breaks the tractor beam and grants immunity for a certain amount of time, and can be equipped in the DEFENSIVE SLOT.

So the harasser driver can choose either his beloved Composite Armor or the Disruptor.

Either way, they'll be easier to handle.
  10. makrome

in theory it might take an eternity to kill a harasser, but let's put it into a real scenario...

... sitting in vanguards 2ndary, in battle, noise, explosions everywhere around you
    ... *tickticktick* ...
    damage indicator showing hits from the rear, turn around 180°, aim at harasser, click left mouse button, your gun eventually lands a hit on the dune buggy, but by the time the main gun has turned around and maybe might have to finish reloading because there's some sort of battle happening all around and he shot at something on the opposite side of the harassers position it feels like being shot by a shotgun while on foot.
    You see it, you might get of a shot or two and see your deathscreen right after ... feels pretty instantly.

Yes, on a spreadsheet it might show it might take a bit longer than the exact definition of 'instantly' .... but spreadsheets and battlefields are two different things.
    • Up x 2
  11. dstock

So many lols and MCBs in one thread. I'm glad you all started on the right path, you came to the forums to complain, instead of heading to VR to test counters.

ps. Halberd fer Lyfe
  12. Kaon1311

lol yeah, i have been driving one pretty much non stop recently, its just so much more fun than a Prowler. But if you read through my posts recently, i have given my input several times of how to counter Vulcan Harassers, in other threads too.

Have you killed me when gunning a Lib? In all honesty i havent died to many air since driving harassers, nice gunning if you did :D
    And thats another reason i prefer Harasser over Prowler, they are not sitting duck and ESF/Lib free kills :p

See you in game :D
  13. Slandebande

You don't die to a single Vulcan-H that is 100+m away. Then you are doing something very wrong. And a 2/2 MBT should not die to a single Harasser, least of all a Vulcan one, since it has so many limitations. If it happens, you have most likely been out-played (either by luck/timing or skill). And a single Vulcan-H cannot destroy an entire armor column unless they are all driven by ******* (sorry for the harsh word) that have no situational awareness at all. To be able to do it's maximum damage, it has to sit at the rear of a tank for a good 4 seconds unnoticed, which shouldn't happen. For one, it has to get really close (not the 100+m you were talking about, have you even used the thing before?) making it significantly easier to hit. Secondly, they are all running Composite Armor, leaving them without Stealth, so you can see them coming on the minimap. Thirdly, it has to remain exposed to deliver it's payload, which takes several seconds, valuable time in which you can fight back. A Halberd will simply peek out from cover, take a shot, and duck back in, making it much more frustrating (and dangerous if done correctly) to fight against.
    The way to counter the Harasser (and especially the Vulcan, as it has significant downsides) is to never run a 1/2 MBT, and stick with allies if your crew cannot combat them effectively. I don't stick with allies, since I feel confident in my ability to combat Harassers effectively in my 2/2 MBT, and any Harasser coming close enough to be considered effective Vulcan range, gets swatted away quickly, either in the form of a burning wreck, or a Harasser on fire. I also frequently set-up traps for enemy Harassers straying too close without having noticed me (guess what defensive slot I'm using), and it is VERY effective if done correctly.
    Given the opportunity, Liberators also wreck Harassers, but the Lib has it's own limitations these days, resulting in fewer scenarios where it can do it.

You don't die in less than a second to a Vulcan in a Magrider. Either you are mistaken, or intentionally leaving out information.

What kind of Sundies are you losing to Vulcan-H? 1/12 Sundies? A 1/12 Sundy will lose to any foe with the intent and determination to kill you. If you got 2 people in a stock Sundy with Basilisks, a Vulcan does not stand a chance to kill you. If it is an AMS sundy it is even harder, as it has to get in close to be able to out-dps the repairs, whilst also dodging rounds from infantry and the likes. The Halberd would make it a lot easier for the crew, since they can simply stay at range and still achieve their maximum damage output.

Sounds like the tankers don't know how to defend their flanks, and work together. A setup of 2 2/2 MBTs should thwart any and all Harasser before they can become a threat. Also, if you see that on a regular basis, I guess no one on your server has ever heard of the "Battle Bus", which is effectively a vehicle able to make a "NO Vulcan-H zone" around it to protect your tanks. It is surprisingly easy and effective if you got 2 gunners. Armor columns whining about being decimated by Vulcan-H is pathetic. The real threat to armor columns is infantry-based AV.

Well a lot of TR didn't complain about that, we must've read some very different posts. What they WERE complaining about, was the lack of ranged utility. We knew we had to give up the superior-AA capabilities, and would've liked added ranged utility (perhaps with a reduction in CQC viability to compensate as well) instead they gave us AI, which we didn't want. We wanted a weapon that was fun to use, and not barringly-worthless on a Prowler.

Or you could've reacted to the Harasser appearing on the minimap behind you, and then taking its time coming close to your rear, and then open fire. You have plenty of time to see them coming and react, it's called situational awareness.
    If you are in a hectic firefight, any Harasser is deadly. If it is such a hectic firefight, you should also have allies near you, meaning it is very risky for the Vulcan-H to come close to the pack.
  14. Kaon1311

I know where you are coming from, but hear me out. Keep an eye on your mini map, that way no Harasser can sneak up on you, stay with your squad or close to them, spot the Harasser, always have a 2nd gunner, pop sheild and keep calm :D

There is a Mag vrew on Miller (Chal and Igster) amazing team and they ALWAYS know when we are approaching them, suicide going up against those 2 in a harasser, well is for me anyways, anyone beat them, please send me hints :p

ps Hi Chal...hate you ;) lol
  15. Van Dax

The only reliable way is a blockade armour double basilisk sundie, G2Gs are useless (in general, I dodge them in my lightning all the time) and it actually tanks more c4 than a tank. Deci's are hard to land and are often out repped.
    • Up x 1
  16. Slandebande

Haha, glad I'm not the only one having issues with them. Nothing more satisfying in defeating them in honest combat though! (not like yesterday when you fled behind another Magrider if you are reading this :D)
  17. lothbrook

Do it all the time, if you bothered to read, it specifically states composite armor does not protect the bottom of the harasser.
  18. Bankrotas

Actually due to tracking type, Annihilator is good to. And it has decent range.
  19. Lucidius134

All I can think of is trying to constantly and rapidly break LOS so they are forced to keep firing or lower their DPS.

You can't do this in an MBT for obvious reasons which is part of the issue. It's the mobility to fire power ratios that are out of whack.
  20. Varnos

well no, I fly the lib, Sarxxx is the one that kills you. Whenever you dont whoop-whoop through the trees around vanu archives D:
    • Up x 1