Who are the best pilots and any tips on flying.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by BigIronRanger, Sep 28, 2013.

1. BigIronRanger

Just started flying and i tell you its brutal as getting shot down in seconds and the pro pilots are making me look like trash, thats probably cause i am.

but any tips though? on how to become better at dogfighting and flying in general.
  2. Teegeeack

There are no pro-pilots, just smart pilots. They pick their battles, and are extremely aware of their surroundings. They usually roll with a zerg. I guarantee you won't find a supposedly good pilot who flies without heavy ground and air support. The biggest problem for new pilots is a simple inability to judge when to get into a fight and when to withdraw - this comes with experience. Make sure you are well acquainted with the map.
    • Up x 4
  3. EMP1RE

There are a lot of good to elite pilots. They have to be frankly... I am a good pilot but nowhere near the elite top tier types who roll around dogfighting 2-3 enemy ESF at a time. There is this pilot on Matherson, who shall go unnamed, who I have NEVER stood a chance against. He just dodges every shot, predicts every move and can traverse entire canyon ranges backwards whilst firing at me... I respect and fear him. Even seeing his ESF flying a couple of hexes away makes me think about turning around...

Getting good at flying comes down to a lot of things which will ultimately come with experience and as much time in ESF's as possible. Use the VR, learn the map (just fly around), get proficient at hover duels, learn to aim, strafe, how to exit a run, how to dodge direct fire, when to engage, when not to engage, learn your ESF's profile, learn to fly very low, learn to fly very fast, learn the perfect times to 'transition', situational awareness... just some of the things you will need to be very good at to 'get good'.

Have fun.
    • Up x 1
  4. Grayson

There are a bunch of youtubers with VERY good and informative content about the game.
    You should check out this 2 channel, you can learn some things form them:

• Up x 2
  5. SmegForBrains2

ESF's are so fragile.
  6. Waverunner

Don't die.
  7. Phazaar

Get on youtube. Learn from the beginning.
  8. Andrea SKye

Thundahawk is a really good pilot, I havent seen him around recently, so i think maybe he quit or rerolled. He is one of the few I have respect for as he actualy flies solo alot of the time. here is one of his videos:

• Up x 1
  9. bodmans

I have to disagree with you claiming that all the smart/good pilots roll with the zerg. at least on ceres, good pilots fly on their own/in their own group. They don't need ground support.
    I, for instance, fly across the map, looking for targets. Only returning when my outfit/squad needs clear skies or when ammo runs low.

@ OP like stated above, practise a LOT and look at youtube vids. there's plenty
    also, a visit to the vehicle discussion subforum will help a bit
  10. Sen7rygun

What you need to do is spend 3 or 4 hours watching everything I do in the sky and learning all my manoeuvres. Then never use any of it and do the exact opposite, that should put you over 10KDR in an ESF almost instantly lol.
    • Up x 3
  11. Teegeeack

Not the case on Miller.
    • Up x 2
  12. Odin

90% of the good pilots have switched to outfits like tgww etc, don't expect to live long as nc in the air. its just how it is. Most good players have learned the hitbox on the reaver is too much trouble to deal with so switched to vs and tr. so pick either one of those.
  13. ThundaHawkPS

Hard to actually improve your flying if your mentality is to only fight when you have an advantage and/or the enemy has no AA presence. Since this is a game and you can respawn from dying I'd recommend flying against the odds to actually get good.

If your ESF is lower-level in terms of certs you can always try this method I've used for alts, which is to chain delete and remake a fresh BR1 to pull default ESFs over and over upon death.

I haven't made any videos in quite awhile but you can visit my youtube channel for some neat ESF footage.

• Up x 1
  14. TTex11

I love pilots that do nothing but reverse maneuver in their dogfights...

...it makes them easy targets for my Skyguard while they're busy fighting air.
  15. HooWoo

Talk to Neiche on TR if you have the chance, KaloX on NC, and see if you can find InFlames in their Mumble server

Seeing as you see me as a scrub I don't think you'll value my advice anyways, so they're all good pilots to talk to.

Ps: good to see you're taking up flying, have fun.

Edit: see if you can find 1508Ad in their Ts server, Zenzotusken would be someone else to talk to, Pixelss, Psychicmoose, Wenz, (bail *** like me) Calopix, Sanguinary, Keilos, DOX, boogiedown,
  16. 1508AD

My favourite pilots on briggs atm are Kalox and Wenz, these guys are tearing it up and are NC so you should have no dramas getting in touch with them.

I have not been flying so much lately due to that damn harraser but your welcome to join us.

All are welcome on the IGDA ts for planetside funs.
  17. tproter

There are times I wonder if some of you gamers even have lives outside of gaming. This is one of them.

Deleting characters and re-creating them just to pull an ESF over and over again?
  18. Xae

1) Learn to Reverse/AB
    2) use Reverse/AB

Congratulations, you are now a top tier pilot. Because Reverse/AB kills skill.
  19. Larolyn

If you can corkscrew barrel roll while rocket podding and have impeccable knowledge of your surroundings, no fight is too big for you.
    • Up x 4
  20. Vidman

That was some pretty impressive flying on that reavers part however i am surprised none of those tr took advantage of his low flying an anchor prowler would have shot that lunch box out of the sky.