Which sidearm do you use?

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Kilimarr, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Kilimarr

Been wondering about this lately.

Personally I'm switching between the Magshot (2x and knife) and the rebel (open with headshot, finish with bodyshots (2x)), both with silencers. So never use the revolvers despite owning both of them...
  2. Vaphell

i sport magshot but most high BR infs i meet seem to run with the commie which makes me go FFFFUUU-
    I think the dmg of that thing is too damn high, 'hard hitting' rebel 250dmg vs 450 with OHK potential? i mean what?
  3. Kilimarr

True, but thinking ahead when stalker cloak gets released, I'm not sure the commie is such a good stealth tool compared to the rebel or magshot. From a survivability standpoint that is.
  4. Amouris

Until we get more details on how the mechanics will work it's all speculation. Best to have all your bases covered when it comes to weapon choices at this point.
    • Up x 1
  5. blessedpatrick

If I'm running with a silenced primary I have the commissioner, in some situations I want people to see me on the minimap, (ambush, mines, all that), If using an unsuppressed primary though I'll bring a silenced manticore (eugh, the two VS pistols are horrendous)
  6. Cemdan

I've been using silenced and laser sighted Magshot, Repeater and Manticore. Haven't had that much problems with them as I avoid fighting head-on and even if I'm spotted I'm usually the guy walking away alive. I'm running most of the time with bolt-actions so I'm using sidearm quite a lot when I infiltrate. For me the Manticore was a straight upgrade over the Beamer, I can't really see that much of a difference when I compare it to Magshot. Nothing is sweeter than taking out Commissioner guys with regular pistol.
  7. VSDerp

commissioner shot once and knife.
  8. Regpuppy

Commissioner, since one shot from it and a quick knife hit is basically instakill. The gun definitely isn't stealthy, but it gets the job done quick. I can already tell some of my enemies are macroing the knife hit to proc right after they shoot. :p
  9. Narfwak

I bought the Underboss instead of the Commie for my SMG engine/infie setups because I didn't like the painfully slow reload of the latter handgun, but given that it's usually going to be used to finish wounded enemies I've begun to regret that decision. Most of the time I use the Repeater, though, as it's easily the best of the bunch for the purposes of a quick swap backup weapon. I used the Emperor as a medium range alternative to the Repeater for a bit, as it's basically better at being the Magshot than the Magshot, but it seems wimpier as of late and it's certainly outclassed for medium range by the addition of the big revolvers.
  10. LownWolfe

I run the commissioner because after enough use, I've gotten quite skilled at making headshots with it. For sniping I don't run a silencer so I'm noisey anyway and CQC, I silence my primary so why get a silenced secondary?
  11. VakarisJ

I use the default VS beamer. It's an amazing backup weapon.
  12. Fenrys

Suppressed Beamer with a laser for all classes. I like the high rate of fire, tight CoF, large mag, and fast reload.
    None of my primaries are suppressed, and the high strafe speed when ADS makes it a decent CQ weapon when I want to stay off the radar.
  13. eldarfalcongravtank

i carry a manticore with me. i say 'carry', because i actually never use it, only when my primary is out of bullets and i need a quick-to-draw sidearm to defend myself in closequarters.

that said, i dont like the manticore to be honest. the design, handling and sound of the gun are bad. on the other hand, i have no other choices. a revolver isn't my type of sidearm because i need more bullets (higher magazine capacity) to compensate for my bad aim causing lots of bullets to miss in closequarters. and the upcoming vanu charge-up pistol sounds horrible as well, so i wont buy and use that one either.

i am still waiting for a good valuable sidearm to call my own. all my hopes are on an NS automatic sidearm, but who knows when something like that is coming....
  14. VakarisJ

Also, some stats if anyone's interested:

Commissioner has a TTK of 1.06s.
    Beyond effective range, the TTK is 1.76s or 2.12s against nanoweave 3.
    Commissioner kills in 3 shots before damage dropoff begins, regardless of nanoweave. Beyond it's effective range it kills in 5 shots or 6 shots if the target is using nanoweave 3 or higher.

Underboss has a TTK of 0.90s or 1.20s against nanoweave 3.
    Beyond effective range, the TTK is 1.50s or 1.80s against nanoweave 1 and 2.10s against nanoweave 5.
    Underboss kills in 3 shots before damage dropoff, unless the target has nanoweave 3, at which point it needs 4. Beyond the effective range it needs 5 shots to kill a target with no nanoweave, 6 to kill a target with nanoweave 1, and 7 to kill a target with nanoweave 5 (takes one reload).

Beamer has a TTK of 0.80s or 0.93s against nanoweave 1 and 1.06 against nanoweave 4.
    Beyond effective range, the TTK is 1.60s or 1.86s against nanoweave 1 and 2.00s against nanoweave 4.
    Beamer kills in 6 shots, but it the target has nanoweave 1, it takes 7 and if the target has nanoweave 4, it takes 8. Beyond it's effective range it needs 12 shots to kill, unless the target has nanoweave 1, in which case 14 shots are needed. If the target has nanoweave 4 -- 15 shots are needed (there are 17 in each battery).

Lastly, Manticore is generally a ****tier version of the Beamer with less accuracy and longer TTK: 0.85s against no nanoweave, 1.03s against nanoweave 1 and 1.20s against nanoweave 5. Beyond the effective range: 1.71s, 1.88s against nanoweave 1, 2.05s against nanoweave 2 and 2.22s against nanoweave 5.
    • Up x 1
  15. Dr. Euthanasia

Why argue for TTK when the accuracy of all those weapons goes straight out the window the instant you attempt to fire them at their maximum speed?

The Commissioner is the only sidearm I'll ever use. Even with my primary weapon removed, this will not change. The loss of a silencer hardly even bothers me with all the passive radar tools floating around in this game, and if the Infiltrator update's details are accurate, we're only going to start seeing more. Until I can get some indication that I'm within the range of an enemy radar device, I'd rather have a loud weapon with good stopping power at longer ranges and high first-strike damage than a silenced Beamer which is ineffective beyond the reach of my knife-arm.
    • Up x 3
  16. FoxGhost

Personally, I don't use the revolvers at all. I can see their merrits, but going infiltrating, I have no use for a sidearm that gives away my position. That's why I carry a Manticore with suppressor and laser. I tried making it work with the beamer because I kinda liked the higher rate of fire, but I found the Manticore to be much more controllable because it fired slower. I find it easier to land my shots with it.

On TR however, I favor the Repeater. A lot.
  17. ComradeHavoc

Commissioner, best long range pistol in my entitled opinion. And I think its a 2 hit head shot kill, going to be great with the stalker cloak.
  18. VakarisJ

That just furthers the point that the revolvers aren't as good as the stock beamer, which is fairly accurate even when firing at it's top speed. It may not be suited for shot&stab, but as far as direct combat goes -- clearly superior.
    • Up x 1
  19. Scan

Repeater with supressor when I am operating with enemy lines. It's a beast at CQB, and it keeps me off the minimap. (my main side-arm)

When I'm sniping, I carry the Commisioner. I'm loud anyway, and it always kills off the target, if I missed the headshot, but got the bodyshot in. It also makes me giggle when I sneak up to an enemy sniper, and put a cap in his skull. :p

The Underboss I've grown to like for it being very good at running and gunning, and having superiour range over the repeater, but.. in all honesty, I think this gun is better suited for Light Assault.

In my NC days, I preffered the Magshot over the Rebel, because of it's larger magazine size, and it being much more versatile in panic situations. The Rebel might pack more punch, but it also has less bullets, runs out very quickly, and always seemed to get me killed, because I had to reload at the worst possible moment.
  20. Valena

I wouldn't be surprised if every VS player says that they run with the Commisioner. I do, just because I really don't like the other VS choices. Being able to put a suppressor on my weapon isn't worth the low TTK, since after the second or third shot the person I'm shooting at knows where I am anyway.

Besides, shoot-and-stab with that thing is too much fun to put down.
    • Up x 2