Striker and Phoenix Still OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Malebranche, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Malebranche

So if one gets behind a mountain so long as the striker previously had a lock on, it still hits and damages your vehicle so it doesnt matter if you move into cover after the missiles have been fired, they will hit you regardless!

As for the phoenix youre supposed to be able to shoot it down, right? Yet it travels so fast and doesnt render so it means there is no defense against it.

And what does Higby and his gang do instead? Nerf the ZOEdberg! Wow. Why not just get rid of the VS as a faction and make it a TR versus NC game, Higby?
  2. Incarnus

Only thing that's missing in this thread is threatening to quit the game if these "game-breaking" bugs aren't fixed.
    Everyone faction gets bugs, some that only affect one faction (positively or negatively).

SoE will eventually get around to fixing them, they have a lot on their plate, hell with all the crying from these forums, I'm surprised they haven't had a stress related heart attack.
    • Up x 7
  3. G3arfried

ZOE needed a nerf man tbh.

Phoenix is fine now but the striker makes ppl rage. Yesterday some dude was sniping vehicles on top of a cliff with it. The range needs to be 300 and the shooter needs to keep visual and lock on of the vehicle and plane also the bug with it going through obstacles and defying flares should be fixed. Then we will finely have a balanced striker and no more QQ.
    • Up x 6
  4. gigastar

Im finding it a bit funny that the Lancer is the only ESRL with a bug that negatively impacts its performance atm.
  5. Vixxing

You mean the no charge bug everytime you restock on ammo that always spoil your day? (dosent matter much, no one uses that crap anyway)
  6. SgtBreastroker

Phoenix is easily the worst ESRL after the series of nerfs it received.
    • Up x 8
  7. G3arfried

lancer seems boring but i guess it was fun for a bit. I mean sniping tanks a mile away for tiny damage then giggling to your self that you hit it but it wont matter because you tickled a tank a mile away with you 5 second charge cannon only to see that damage get repaired in 5 seconds >.> run on ftw.
  8. Roll Fizzlebeef

The Phoenix is fine where it is.

After spending some time with it, I do wish it would become a dumbfire in the event that you are shot while steering it. (I also LOVE one-shotting ESF's with it)

Other than that, I hate the spam that insta-kills sundies... but I deal with it, find another route with more cover or just send in some infantry to clear them out. The thing about the NC15 Phoenix is that the spam stops when there is infantry in the base. Everyone knows they will die when they are guiding it and don't want to be sitting XP waiting to be collected.

The Striker should have all bugs taken care of first before we start talking about balance.
    • Up x 1
  9. LGhost1904

The Striker is a legitimate problem but the Phoenix is only a problem when there are multiple people with a Phoenix working together to take down a chosen target and it is as good as any rocket launcher in that scenario... The terrible reload speed really balances the Phoenix out for it's awesome camera guided attribute.

The Striker on the other hand? Try to play peek-a-boo in your tank to take out a Sunderer with a bunch of infantry coming out, there is no such thing as cover.
    • Up x 1
  10. Larington

The Empire Specific Anti-Vehicle weapons? I tend to look at this by usage levels - The Striker is super common because it's reliable against the targets it's intended for and does good damage and has high ease of use.

The Pheonix & Lancer meanwhile are weapons that you can actually miss with through user error and I think that's why they're less common (Well, after the Pheonix AI nerf anyway). Unfortunately this has the knock on effect of less people using the Pheonix/Lancer, which in turn results in less chance of 2/3 users being in the same area at any given moment to put the hurt on that lone tank coming over the hill. Continue that trend when you scale up different sizes of battle and the problem will be exacerbated.

Honestly I'm not sure how to fix this, except that I continue to wish the Striker had been designed as a guided AV weapon functionally similar to the AV Mana turret instead of a lock on weapon defeated by merely popping flares, but I guess we're stuck with it now unless the devs are willing to risk upsetting the people who do like the Strikers ease of use.

(Oh, and I'm hoping todays upcoming patch includes a fix for the bug on Lancer where it won't go beyond charge level 1 under certain circumstances until you've first fired off a crappy level 1 shot)
  11. HadesR

Yup have them shot down regularly ... Now if you had said AV turrets not rendering, which are not able to be shot down regardless, which have a greater range than the Nix .. then you might have got more support
    • Up x 1
  12. HellasVagabond

What travels fast ? The Phoenix ? Harrasers move faster...........The Phoenix is by far the Slowest missile in the game (that's also why it's controlled).

As for the Striker i agree, moving behind cover is ridiculous.
    • Up x 1
  13. Goretzu

They do get shot down.

There are situations when as many as 1 out of 5 of the ones I've fired are shot down.

Add that to slow rate of fire, vunlerabilty when using it and that is you do see one coming you've got a good chance of dodging it (100% if you're ZOE :D ) and it's more than fine.
  14. Phaze

Phoenix is OP... seriously?

It's like the worst ever. It move slow. It does so little damage. By the time you've fired it, guided it to your target, hit, reloaded, fired again, and guided it back for a 2nd hit - your target has repaired/healed... had a sandwich... drank some coffee... cap'd a nearby base... sheesh.

Having said that... it's entertaining at times. Just really weak.

Striker is OP - no doubt. It's the Annihilator on steroids.
    • Up x 4
  15. huller

so many double standards in the OP's post...
  16. Alkezo

PS2 Statistics
    The stats appear to be somewhat balanced. While the Phoenix does get the most kills/hour and almost always the most vehicle kills/hour it remains to maintain the least score/hour.

The problem with the Phoenix is the ability to destroy vehicles while remaining out of line of sight. This makes it fairly difficult to park a Sunderer in a safe place and usually forces you to park it somewhere where a LA can C4 it. A couple of HA's dedicated in hunting Sunderers make short work of them. No other weapon provides a similar role. Hitting air isn't particularly easy.

The problem with the Lancer is the extreme range it provides. You can destroy vehicles long before they have a chance to see you render for them. Generally you need quite a few Lancers or Vortexes to really accomplish anything. AV turret for Engineers provide the same role at the cost of vulnerability. Hitting air is hard, particularly ESFs.

The problem with the Striker is that they can scare away aircraft fairly easily. When I fly my ESF, a lock-on generally tells me I have about 5 seconds to get out of range before my flares wear off and they can lock onto me again. 1 Striker will do about 70% of an ESF's health, which is quite a lot. Used in groups, the Striker seems to be the most effective in keeping the area clear of vehicles, if only for the fact it forces them to run and/or hide. Yes, Strikers are the only ESRL that have a hard counter. However, area denial can be just as important in gaining an advantage as killing enemies. The Annihilator provides the same role, if only weaker. There was a reason SOE nerfed the Annilihator after they were being used in groups to deny large areas of enemy vehicles.

Honestly, since the beginning I always thought the Annihilator shouldn't have been released. The ability to lock onto both air and ground vehicles at the same time created more problems than it solved. The Striker replicates that fact and now only 1 faction has access to it. What the stats don't show are the advantages gained by denying airspace. While I don't want to say the Striker is overpowered, it needs adjustments along with the Annihilator. No one should be able to provide both adequate AA and AV at the same time. Both the Lancer and Phoenix can deny vehicles in their desired ranges, however neither can fully commit to AA.
  17. KAHR-Alpha

I still think that the Annihilator wasn't nerfed because it was too powerful, but because the Striker was coming, and in its original state the Annihilator would basically give a Striker to everyone.
    • Up x 2
  18. DocteurVK

ZOE gets only an additional 5% armor reduction, meaning about 7.2 more damage from 143 damage weapons.

Phoenix is not used that much (at least on my server TBO), even if I've recently been shot down two times when hovering my Scythe ( I played the ******* game...).

Striker needs its missiles fixed (the anihilator too) and maybe reducing it's lockon range VS air, but nothing more.

The lancer needs to be corrected, but as a dumbfire with very fast and relative low damage output, you'll have to fight differently...

One friend of mine can tear armor columns with his lancer by sneaking behind them and shooting the tank in the middle of the column, making him unable to do everything...

A squad of 3 lancers will block the armor column easily when using Hit and run tactics (especially in the current canyons, which are real tank traps...
  19. Roll Fizzlebeef

So little damage? You must be on some hard core drugs man.

I have used the Phoenix a whole lot, and I have killed many tanks and sunderers with it. One of the first things I did with it was shoot down Mosquitoes that thought it was a good idea to rocket pods a group of infantry. First day I had it, I shot down three ESF's consecutively, one after the other. Another thing I had fun with was counter-sniping snipers from behind cover. If they already had some damage, my rocket would kill finish them off.

Per hit, the Phoenix does the most damage by a massive margin. The vehicle damage multiplier causes it to do damage similar to a Decimator. That is exactly what you have in that game... a camera-guided Decimator.

When all is said and done, the Phoenix is an AMAZING weapon... but I wouldn't go as far as to call it OP. There have been many times I have been killed while guiding the rocket, and the rocket just disappears in to nothing. I like it where it is.
  20. NinjaTurtle

The poor range, poor maneuverability and slow projectile speed counter any positives the Phoenix has.
    • Up x 1