My weekend on Connery

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MFP_TK_01, Jun 3, 2013.

1. MFP_TK_01

To start, I would like to note that I hadn't played on my NC for a little while, at least not since the Merger of Helios and Connery, or as TMZ would put it, Helionnery. Before that time I was NC (and a never played VS) Helios.

So Saturday my friend and I decide to hit up Amerish for whatever reason. As usual we spend a few moments to change camo's, plan out future certs, or in general see what's going on. Then I pull out the old faithful girl (lib) and we look for a hotspot. However while we're doing so we can't help but notice the literal army of air whales. Bit unusual but alright, must be a Connery thing.

First thing we do is hit up Blackshard Tungsten Mine because somebody ghostcapped...ahem....I mean used their awesome tactics to flip the point. At this point we figured out that my girl was not in fact equipped with ejection seats and my friend fell to his doom. As he respawned there I brought the bird down behind the hill by the bridge because I started receiving flak from Crux Headquarters, which was our next point.

To speed up the story, we effectively spent the next hour hopping between Crux and Blackshard, because for whatever reason on the ground, our guys were having a hell of a time taking Crux even with a size-able force present, and they apparently couldn't hold the Mine even though the road that the enemy sundies were driving on was right there.

Bad strategies were being held by both sides it seems. While NC were struggling with 2 simple points, it also seemed that TR wasn't doing that great with AA as well considering how long one lib dominated the skies in that area. Eventually it was the VS convoy that took us down and that was well after I had my Drivers ribbon thanks to all of the juicy TR lightnings below us. I mean seriously, at one point a squad was simply hitting us with small arms fire up by the mine. They didn't even bother to run when I brought in the old girl right over them and my friend started popping them with the Dalton.

small arms fire...

Really? Well, eventually they pulled some stock dumbfires which only resulted in me having to move some.

After we were shot down we chose to go for a change of scenery and go up to NC Arsenal at the top of the map. It seemed that we captured around it but it was still in VS hands. After parking the Sunderer at the bottom of the hill in the tree's and chasing off a Magrider and a lightning, we went about taking points. I covered C while my friend had B. Then our reinforcements showed up....and promptly shot us. Great, thanks.
    We respawn and head back up to defend now that a few enemy vehicles were coming in and troops were spawning. During the takeover we noticed several inconsistencies. 1/3 Libs were showing up, which to me is weird in general. But what made it weirder is that instead of continuing to fly they started parking at the bottom of the hill next to my Sunderer. Thanks for the neon sign guys. Secondly, we couldn't help notice that whenever a point started getting taken, EVERYBODY would scram for that point, and then stay there. I guess the idea of putting 2-3 on each point to prevent capping wasn't really going through any heads here. Again to cut down story time I'll just say that it took us longer than I expected to cap this base. We ended it by my friend being shot (again) by one of our maxes, and me being ran over by an NC idiot in a Harasser.

After all this I pulled another Sundie (the enemy found the other one) and we went to North Grove. The capture there was pretty uneventful. What I did notice though was the Air Whale brigade showing up at NC arsenal. And then the VS Air Whale brigade flew in. Slowest. Air Battle. Ever. As amusing as it was to watch and shoot at, I have to ask Connery, what is up with these Air Whale squadrons?

Anyways, after this point our newly formed little convoy merged with a bigger convoy and things actually started going smoother for us.

On Sunday I decided to play my VS for ***** n giggles and all I have to say for the VS on Connery is look before you shoot. Look.

I guess my point to all this and a TL;DR for the ADHD, is that it seems the general skill level of all sides feels like they really dropped since the merger. Yeah sure, NC may have had the numbers on Helios, but it still seemed like many of the small group squadrons I would hook up with showed more talent than what I saw over the weekend. I mean NC had high pop on Amerish on Saturday, and yet it took forever to take many of those points which tells me that defense players were really cleaning house, and that we were generally being very bad.
    • Up x 4
  2. IamDH

Some servers are reallllllllly dumb
    Lol'd when teammates killed you
    natural selection will occur and they'll learn
    Expect a "Cool story bro" comment
  3. PhiladelphiaCollins

NC on Connery is mostly awful. I'm glad you had a chance to experience it.
    • Up x 4
  4. Puppy

I think it's the same as it's always been... It's just now becoming more apparent. While other servers (non-west coast) have been learning and adopting/creating tactics 'we' just never felt the need to do so... In my opinion it's a generation thing. All the new tech and fancy stuff near the west coast. Younger players and a different generation that doesn't have much patients are generally playing from the west coast I would think. While I hear other areas are creating tactics for fun gameplay... I wish things were different.
  5. Udnknome

What you are describing was a Saturday Ops. This is not typical play on connery, there was some movie filming going on between a few of the major outfits from the different factions. This is the reason it was so weird during the 2 hour stretch that you are describing.

Sorry it interrupted your gameplay, but it was fun for those that were involved. Log on again and it should be different.
  6. MFP_TK_01

I would like to point out though that I love the fact that all sides have been within a couple of percentage points population wise since the merger. Huge plus there. And yes, I do expect a cool story bro, I certainly pass them out enough.

You mean the Air Whale fight? Hope I didn't ruin too much of it with my Sunderer's Burster and my friends Skyguard. I have to say though, when the VS flew over us it did actually make me think of those old sci-fi flicks with the never ending stream of bombers flying overhead.
  7. Cab00se187

I want Helios back. Since the Connery merge it's been a terrible experience. Their is no communication anymore, the big zergfits seem to think they are the ones in command and people should listen to their tactics(sitting in a biolab wasting time). NC can't even win an alert anymore and when we do it's because the other 2 factions don't bother showing up.
  8. Jalek

Different. More like advancing into a base with a flash to flip a point because people outside seemed pinned down by one guy. Then when those outside arrive, they shoot you in the back.
    Biolab fight - try to get out of a teleport room and avoid the camping enemies, only to find an "ally" also camped and shooting at you in the direction of the shield.

It's usually pretty awful.
  9. PhiladelphiaCollins

It's also a Sunday Ops, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday Ops.
    • Up x 2
  10. Cab00se187

I want Helios back. Since the Connery merge it's been a terrible experience. Their is no communication anymore, the big zergfits seem to think they are the ones in command and people should listen to their tactics(sitting in a biolab wasting time). NC can't even win an alert anymore and when we do it's because the other 2 factions don't bother showing up.
  11. Udnknome

you can troll if you like.

I was on amerish and a part of the movie filming during this time period. I recall shooting at liberators with small arms fire just so that I had a target in the air it looked like we were shooting at. The Gal Squadrons don't really happen. I'm unsure of anyone or any time that I seen whole platoons of gals fighting it out in the air. This was solely done for the purpose of the movie and not for any actual tactics. This is not normal gameplay on connery.

You could post some specific examples of things you have witnessed and we can have that discussion if you like, but the explanation for what the OP experienced this weekend was a movie. Everything he posted was basically a play by play of what we were doing when we were trying to catch footage.
  12. PhiladelphiaCollins

Well now that I have your permission. How is it trolling to have an opinion? Just because it's unpopular with some readers?

Fact remains that NC on Connery is pretty much awful and nobody cares about your stupid movie.
  13. Udnknome

If you read the rest of the post, I asked you to post specific examples of poor gameplay that is outside of the OPs posting and I would have that discussion. Theres already 3 other posts that are about trashtalking this weekends events and the overall quality of NC on connery. This one was a guy asking why stuff was so weird this weekend.

Your "opinion" has it's place, but the one liners are not really an opinion as they are offensive "one shots" at the post you are replying to. Explain yourself, or simply say you agree.
  14. PhiladelphiaCollins

I've explained it at length in other posts that to carry on doing so is just a waste of my time. So for now, one liners will have to do. Too bad.
  15. Udnknome

a link would be nice.
  16. PhiladelphiaCollins

Go find it yourself.
  17. umbrellapower

That was Azure Twilight coming over from Mattherson to help the 666th with filming some stuff with SOE. In other words, your perception is totally wrong because none of it was done in actual gameplay.
  18. MFP_TK_01

What do you mean by actual gameplay? I mean I know I actual gameplayed some of those birds out of the air. Are you just referencing that both sides were running a predetermined script with the NC squadron winning the movie op?
  19. MilitiaMan

I have felt this too, Though the zerglings make great fodder. I notice most of them are so scared they won't leave the spawns...

I keep yelling for them to take their balls out of their manbag and charge....Sometimes they listen...
  20. PhiladelphiaCollins

The number of times I've seen NC on Connery outnumber TR like 3:1 and still lose a point because they're too afraid to leave the spawn is goddamn staggering. If it was acceptable to TK in the respawns, I would just to light a fire under their *****.