How Is [THIS] Fun?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Alarox, May 28, 2013.

1. Alarox

By [THIS] I mean steamrolling across a map with 100+ people, spending 30 minutes camping spawns until the defenders simply stop trying.

In a recent battle there was a group of TR rolling through Indar from the crown->palisade->crimson-bluff->rust-mesa. At first they had 3:1 advantage. Then it turned 4:1. Then 5:1. At each base it was the same. Multiple squads try to set up a defense with tanks, turrets, AA, etc. but it just get steamrolled over through sheer numbers or because they have essentially infinite troops and as many vehicles as they'll ever need. Each time they push right up to our spawn room and it turn into a game of whack-a-mole. That, or die horribly from 30 Light Assaults, 10 AI MAX, 10 ESF, 5 Liberators, or 20 tanks waiting for free certs.

Then onto the next base; rinse/repeat. I genuinely asked these guys if they were having fun. They said they were having a ton of fun. They loved the cert-farm. One guy said it was a ton of fun but would be better if we didn't suck and could put up a defense...

How is this fun, really? Because you feel like you're making progress by doing essentially nothing and getting 10k score/hour worth of certs? What are you going to do when you don't need certs anymore? Is it really enjoyable long-term through surrounding a spawn room with 100 other people and fighting each other for those occasional spawn kills worth 50exp?

I really don't get how this is supposed to sustain someone long-term. I barely understand how it sustains their attention short-term. How is this fun?
    • Up x 7
  2. Brusilov [TR]

They were probably enjoying trolling you in chat more than the shooter aspect of the game. You are a gentleman for getting mad and providing the nights entertainment.
    • Up x 11
  3. Razzyman

It's certainly not the most entertaining thing to do. That being said, maybe they were taking territory for their empire to push for a continent cap, and that's the area their outfit platoons said they would cover. In those situations your best hope is to call in their force size and location over command chat (or have your squad lead do it if you're not leading) and just wage a guerilla war of attrition to slow them down as much as possible while your factions leaders organize a counter offensive, or muster enough forces to mount a proper defense at a good location.

Another thing to keep in mind is that sometimes you need to let something go. Find out what your empire is focusing on and go and help with that, or accept that you are going to face insurmountable odds and only be able to slow the enemy down and harass them. Its all about picking and choosing battles while coordinating with your allies.
  4. goodzack

it used be fun for defenders getting all free kills from 1 way shields know most bases you cant shoot from them =[
  5. IamDH

Planetside 2 : Size Always Matters
    • Up x 1
  6. Badname3073

But they are regular army, they are supposed to own poorly trained civilian rebels
    • Up x 1
  7. RHINO_Mk.II

Those battles are a ton of fun - on the defender's side. You can snipe infantry with rockets, snipe ESFs with phoenix, maybe even 2-shot a dumb Lib or two with your decimator. So much vehicle destruction EXP - and of course, they are almost guaranteed to be Extreme Menace kills.

Then with 30 seconds left, you go engineer and place tanks mines by 2 doors, with 20 seconds left you go infiltrator and drop AI mines on top of them, and redeploy at 11 seconds.
    • Up x 2
  8. Roarboar

Defending is fun. Attacking with a zerg is boring as ****. I dont see why anyone would want to participate in that.
    • Up x 2
  9. iller

This is the game in a nutshell now... A chat room where you play a minigame of Getting medic-revives from behind corners.
    It's kind like of Angry Birds except you play the pigs hidng behind the random junk that can't be destroyed by anything.
    • Up x 2
  10. ncAce

This game is not sustainable in it's current state and no meaningful changes look like they're coming any time soon to prevent the damage from being done before it's too late.
    • Up x 3
  11. FigM

I think it's important that people don't try to impose their definition of fun on others. People are free to make their own choice of what fun is. As long as they follow the rules, all is fair game.

So many problems in this world come from people trying to force others to act like they want.
  12. siiix

we always hope for an other zerg to engage us, in very rare occasions it happens, and that makes it all worth while

if i want to play less then 30 people vs 30 people planetside2 would be most definitely NOT the game i would play !

and just because the enemy is to wuss to organize humongous defense , i refuse to scale down the attack*

*obviously i know why we dont defend much, because its less rewarding
  13. Vastly

I'm sure the other zerg feels the same way, you just never turned up.
    • Up x 2
  14. McFatal

I can promise it was less fun for the people attacking. Get to a base, kill few soldiers, wait.............

But at the same time, it's a waste of manpower. They probably paid for their mistake by losing ground somewhere else.
  15. IamDH

Sorry for my stupid response i skim read it too fast.
    After a few days of lattice i found it boring due to the insane amount of spawn camping that takes place after you zerg onto the next zone. Overall, i still find lattice better than hex
  16. chilly154

How is call of duty fun or battle field fun? How is Halo fun or all the other halos fun?? What do you do when you reach max level and buy all the gear and weapons? How is a lot of other shooters fun? This game haves more progression then any other shooter I mention and they're working it even harder to make more progression. Like in the future you can capture the whole map. Which you can't do with gears of war or even any other shooters I have mention. How is it fun playing the same match over and over and over: then you have to wait for new weapons and maps for over year or 2. Then play the same match over.

can you answer this for me?

I bet this guy is trolling.
    • Up x 2
  17. GSZenith

gives time to read forum, roll in, kill 2-3poor tanks, spawn camp for 1min, alt tab and do some forumside while trying to come up with new ideas to kill air.
  18. Vanu Superiority

It's not. The combat in this game now is meaningless. This game feels like every other game, rather than the masterpiece it used to live up to. I can't keep an interest in playing for more than 30 minutes at a time any more, if I'm lucky.
    • Up x 7
  19. EWarren

Indar has lattice - by design it channels people into large fights. But if there isn't strong enough resistance, then steamrolling happens. Sometimes I fly away to join different fights, after one bogs down to massive zerg steamrolling bases, occasionally fighting ninja LAs with C4s.

For people without ESF access (out of resource, in a tank not willing to throw away, not willing to fly / drive across the map to the other front), they stay with the zerg, and as people join, the zerg gets bigger.

I've joined zergs before... total waste of everyone's talents as it really doesn't take 1/3 of an empire to camp Briggs, but that 1/3 of an empire has to go through Briggs to the next outpost...
  20. KlyptoK

If that is all they are getting out of it I pity them in their tremendous loss and wasted time. I shed tears for their incompetence.

I personally find waiting for a cap other than a major facility that's about to go through to be completely nuts. I don't mean to be arrogant but to be arrogant my faction needs Super Tanker Klypto getting stuff done, not sitting around with the other klowns playing cards as my score/hour pisses away into the abyss.