[Suggestion] Vanu 'No Bullet Drop' should apply to all weapons, including sniper rifles

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Myka, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Myka

Title says it all really, but for those who prefer depth to brevity:

Balance logic that is applied consistently to other factions is applied inconsistently to the Vanu Sovereignty. The Vanu 'advantage' is supposed to be no bullet drop, but game experience since launch has been that this is a mostly useless advantage in most common infantry combat situations - and on the weapons where it would actually be of use, it is magically 'switched off'. Today's rebalance of damage dropoff is the first sign that the devs are beginning to notice that the VS experience is significantly sub-par than the other two factions, and taking steps to address it.

There is one recent weapon that takes advantage of no bullet drop - the Lancer, and it is a joy to use as a result (the Saron has been gimped into uselessness by incredi-slow projectile speed and that hideous fire delay the Lancer had for a bit). On most common Vanu infantry weapons though, this advantage is negligible or not present whatsoever. The one area of infantry combat where it would make the most difference is on the infiltrator class. Vanu sniper weapons are lacklustre at best, and since sniping is only useful in very specific scenarios in planetside 2, and can be easily countered by simply not staying still, I do not believe that giving them no bullet drop would make them significantly overpowered. This point is, of course open to debate, but I would point to the recent pump-shotguns as a weapon with far more (albeit short range) killing power. If weapons that powerful are ok with the PS2 dev team, then why not this? I actually can't remember off hand whether slug shotguns currently get bullet drop, as I rarely use slugs, but if they do not, it should be applied there as well.

The TR do not get really large clips that are excluded from some weapons or classes.The NC do not get powerful bullets that are excluded from some weapons or classes. Only the Vanu have no bullet drop - except on classes and weapons for which it might actually be useful.

Time to bite the bullet. The Vanu population is suffering, because we are no longer 'the best' at something in the way the other two empires are. Our beloved Magrider has worse agility in some cases than the other two MBTs thanks to the torque buff, let alone that mobility is no longer an advantage on a battlefield with so many vehicle threats. The Saron is a gimped version of it's earlier glory with a projectile so slow you can miss a moving MBT at sub 50m ranges simply because they can out-accelerate the shot. Our ESF cannon has horrendous spread and poor damage and our ESF has the largest top-down profile of the three fighters. The less said about our MAX the better, and our Lasher doesn't even deserve it's own unique model.

Applying the no bullet drop bonus to all (applicable*) weapons in the Vanu armoury, instead of only on the ones where it's no use whatsoever would give us some much needed wow factor and would make our bonus actually have an impact on gameplay, like the other two have done since the start. It's about time the Vanu were a faction to be feared, not laughed at. I think this would go a long way to doing that. Better sound and a more intimidating (non-spandex) look might not be a bad thing, either.

Discuss (nicely).

*Not all weapons will be - most Magrider main cannons, for example, that currently use arcing projectiles. Though with some thought, I suppose it could be applied here too.
    • Up x 7
  2. FnkyTwn

[IMG]
    • Up x 18
  3. LonelyTerran

Hell no
    Especially to bolt action rifles.

As soon as the Carv gets bumped up to 1000rpm.
    • Up x 7
  4. treeHamster

The default sniper rifle doesn't suffer from bullet drop. The rest of the sniper rifles are just carbon copies that all the factions share.
  5. HadesR

No bullet drop Bolt action would be totally broken ..
    • Up x 4
  6. Kogmaw

As much as i would LOVE a no-drop bolt-action. I have seen the ocean of tears these forums can create, and i lost one of my water wings in the last flood.

im going to have to say no. the community simply wont accept it
    • Up x 3
  7. TheBloodEagle

Because there's nothing OP about having no bullet drop for Sniper Rifles...amrite?
    • Up x 1
  8. Sulsa

No.

I'm Vanu too.

No.
    • Up x 7
  9. treeHamster

If the VS got a bolt with no bullet drop, then the TR would have to get one with almost instant refire rate and the NC would have to get one that could basically one shot anywhere on the body. No, the bolts are FINE the way they are. They are ONE weapon that I would rather have complete carbon copies of for ALL factions as there would be NO way to balance them otherwise.
    • Up x 2
  10. Xind

MSW-R. Can't have our default gun be the best, they need to make money.
    Or the T-16. Give the T16 167 damage and 800 RoF.

*wanders away dreaming of fabled High RoF weapons that other empires don't ******* get*
    • Up x 3
  11. Bape

Lol this thread made me lol.
    • Up x 2
  12. bNy_

I'm also for no bullet drop on vanu and decreased bullet drop for TR/NC weapons. I'd also like them to improve the damage to make them OHK with a clean body shot like every other game (unless you of course have certed your armor).

Yes, you can work yourself up to an incredible KD as it is now with infiltrators, however I rarely see them as a game changer of any kind. When capturing a base you only need one that can give you the chance to get a sundy up by hacking one of the terminals.

Also, KD doesn't really matter at all... by the time you have 10-0 on your cliff I've probably have gained twice or three times as much certs with my medic or engineer and gotten at least equal kill amount.

Snipers should be feared, as it is now... I rarely ever die to them. When I get hit there is almost always cover to prevent me from taking the lethal hit.

The trade of should be worse scopes and longer reload time.

I think the whole infiltrator class should be remade from scratch to play a more important part in battles.
  13. Zaik

wow, OP wants hitscan bolt action sniper rifles.

i thought i had seen everything here.
    • Up x 2
  14. ENFORC3R

As soon as I have a gun that fires 120mm tank shells at 2000rpm you can have no bullet drop on your snipers.
    • Up x 3
  15. XRIST0

How about no ..
  16. Kunotron

They can be useful, if you decide to use an SMG and actually take cap points instead of standing 400m away just padding your K/D. Or actually gal drop on an outpost, hack a console and pull a sunderer. The infiltrator isn't useless. just sniping is. It was in PS1, it is now, and always will be. It is simply there to appease people who think sniping makes them cool.
  17. Joram

The bolt action rifles dont have any of the factions traits, no lack of bullet drop for VS, the TR ones have the same magazine size as the rest and the NC dont have higher damage per shot, why do you want the trait just for the VS? infantry weapons are balanced, that is not the way to increase the VS population, this is a better way to do it.

Matthew Higby@mhigby
    @TheMittani talking to @RodneyGates and @injectedsenses about VS weapon audio... also to @PS_TRay about some... cool stuff for the VS suits.
    • Up x 1
  18. Shockwave44

You have your max so I don't know why you're chiming in.
    • Up x 1
  19. bNy_

Which is exactly my point. What's the point of having infiltrators, except getting a terminal or two hacked so you can spawn a sunderer?

They are not complete trash if you go with your squad and don't have bolt action loadout but all the other classes are still superior to them and have their own things that's actual useful (healing, repairing, ammo, being tanky, being more tanky, fly and so on), but maybe having a useless cloack and get like 20 XP for hacking a terminal attracts people, dunno.
  20. WalrusJones

The TRV...... It works on snipers......

The TAR.... It has range AND hipfire AND Rof AND .75 shoulder move speed.

The Jaguar.... I don't see many other carbines with 1.25 hipfire spread..... Buut.... The alternative VS gun has a 30 round mag.