It occurred to me that if Planetside were real....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheShrapnelKing, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Transvestosaurus

Humans and your projectile weaponry.
    It would be wholly laughable, but for the fact you're obviously so turned on by it. Which makes it pitiful, too.

Like an ape, on first clasping a bone in your mitts and stirring your murky thoughts to imagine the possibilities that bone portends... Maybe you'll hunt better now you have your nice bone. Maybe then the other monkeys won't hoot at you funny any more. Maybe you'll get to smash heads and eat fat when you next cannibalize your neighbors, rather than having to wait and chew on gristle and sinews.

Or is it even simpler than that? Is it just an on-going obsession with things coming out of and going into other things? I admit, even my powers of empathy fail to reach this puckered scar in your psychology.
    Do you even understand where I'm going with this?
    Right.
    Well.
    When you've finished thinking about it.
    Don't worry, I'll wait. We're used to that...
    • Up x 3
  2. DrDubstepMD

OP - the sort of power you are describing pertains to the US Navy's railgun project. The prototype was indeed powerful, firing a a 3 kilo projectile at about mach 7, BUT - it drawed about 35 megajoules of energy in order to do so. As mentioned above, this is the kind of weapon that would belong on destroyers or battleships. Not tanks, and needless to say, not rifles. In fact, as mentioned above, recoil scales proportionally with the acceleration of the projectile, which means that the upper limit of a gauss rifle for a human is about the same as a conventional rifle. Would tanks hit harder? Yeah, but they'd have to borrow the TR's deployment strategy in order to take advantage of that fully.

TL;DR? The qualities you're describing apply to a much larger weapon than those in the PS2 universe at this time.

Yeah science!
  3. Jex =TE=

If PS2 were real then weapons from ww2 would be more effective than the crap we have.
    • Up x 1
  4. the pestimist

NC would have the most soldiers than tr then VS tr would be wiped from auraxis easily.
  5. the pestimist

FUTURE NOT PAST
  6. the pestimist

FORCE ABSORBING FUTURE SHEILDS
  7. WalrusJones

Well....

Given the velocities on our guns, its not even a question.

650 Feet Per Second on a sniper?

9MM bullets go at 1300 Feet per second, or 390 Meters per second.

When the people on auraxis wiled bolt action rifles weaker then a 9mm cartridge, you must wonder how frail/weak nanites are.... No wonder we trees survive dozens of our jets.

Not this future, apparently.

Tell me when you have written Newtonian physics out of the universe chap.
  8. the pestimist

NC would be op VS would be op and TR would be weak as hell. NC are the good guys course we would win.
  9. KAHR-Alpha

As other pointed out, the recoil on gauss guns is definitely not negligible. But in any case, if a vanguard fired a projectile that can toss around other tanks, then conservation of momentum dictates that this poor vanguard would also fly away in the process, so vanguards would actually need to be anchored before every single shot.
  10. Kristan

And 40 years ago people thought we will ride flying cars and build colonies on Mars nowdays...
  11. Duff_Chimp

Is this another one of those veiled 'ps2 should be more real' threads? Absurdity factor 8.

Plus everyone knows TR would win, because it's ultimately about will and manpower. TR has both in abundance. Besides in a fashion war NC would be dead last, have you seen how ridiculous those guys look? Blue and yellow don't go well together, aesthetically the weakest faction with the most rubbish sounding name 'New Conglomerate'. What was wrong with the old conglomerate? Guess we will never know.
    • Up x 2
  12. Zotamedu

F=m*a

Newton says your wrong.
    • Up x 2
  13. VoidC

Gauss or better to say Coil gun isn't the same as Railgun. The output velocity and respective kinetic energy depends on stored energy ("capacity"- capacitors), projectile mass, and gun efficiency. As long as I can remember there were Gauss tech in research for mortal rounds. So nothing super fast. So Railgun and Coilgun (Gauss) aren't necessarily fast. It depends on use, see mortal <-> tank gun. However, a tank gun (gauss or railgun) need to be fast in order to be lethal and effective. Still keep in mind, stored energy, efficiency, projectile weight.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Plasma weapons as Vanu have them in use in atmosphere can't be realized with nowadays physics. Accelerated plasma disperses in the atmosphere due to collisions with air molecules, so the consequence the plasma projectile loses energy very fast (you will end up with plasma cloud in front of your gun). There is a possibility to overcome this problem but much higher velocity or by use of conductive plasma channel (ionized by laser). But then the plasma projectiles speed is much higher compared to PS2.

And not to forget the bullet drop on Vanu bolt action rifles. If there a such significant bullet drop, then it is not a plasma or laser weapon. Probably a small portable Railgun or Gauss. Were is our bolt animation SOE? No need to smash the battery after each shot.
  14. SinerAthin

I hate to disappoint them :/
    • Up x 1
  15. Kurohagane

If planetside was real, Vanu would roflpwn everyone with high technology, and zerg everything with all the armor and weapons made from metals and minerals they have from not using them on amunition or heavy armor.

Also gauss cannons are very energy inefficient, and basing on all the "technological advances" in planetside universe (expect vanu) it MIGHT even be possible, they're worse in PS. So handheld magnetic rail weapons would either fire slow *** projectiles, or be oversized for thier effect.
  16. the pestimist

Well you don't know what could happen in 200 years if gauss weaponry will become useful if It does it will also need very powerful batteries so once battery tech is improved and gauss rifles are alot more controllable then maybe also I think the shield and the armor absorbs all the force for NC
  17. Evileet

Exoctic energy weapons.
  18. Zitroxious

Vanu would obliterate everything in a second with their telekinetic superiority, we think, you die!
  19. the pestimist

NO vanu are brain dead nerds
  20. Zitroxious

Well ive been playing NC lately, and if theyre supposed to have brains, i dont want one!