It occurred to me that if Planetside were real....

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TheShrapnelKing, Mar 12, 2013.

1. TheShrapnelKing

...I'm almost positive the NC would ROFLPWN everyone in a week.

Gauss Weapon tech would be ungodly powerful. The Vanguard, for example: it's gun would be a Gauss cannon - the shells would be going so fast that there's virtually no projectile arc. Anything you can see, you could hit, no matter the range. And it would be an insta-kill on pretty much any vehicle. It wouldn't even need to be explosive, the physical impact would tear vehicles to pieces and toss them around like ragdolls. And the Vanguard's armour would be so thick it would be nigh-impossible to knock it out without a rear-armour shot.

And infantry weapons? It'd be a two shot kill: one for the shields, one to kill you. Body armour would do barely anything against projectiles going that fast, it would be a slaughterfest. Not to mention that, again, there'd be virtually no bullet drop, and they'd be virtually 100% accurate, so you'd be killing opposition at hundreds of meters with ease while they'd barely be able to return fire.

Only issue I could possibly forsee would be that their airforce would still get outmanuevered by Scythes.
    • Up x 1
  2. Kurreah

Gauss and railgun tech is only superior to explosive cartridge tech in that it has a higher theoretical maximum projectile velocity.
    If you can't take advantage of that high projectile velocity due to power draw, recoil issues, atmosphere interactions etc then you are just firing a more complex version of a firearm, with probable similar capabilities.

We also do not know anything about the shielding and armour technology in the Planetside 2 future.
  3. WalrusJones

The Magnetic weaponry thats so legendary IRL is mounted on battleships primarily.
    Their tungsten ammo is expensive as all hell, and their recoil increases proportionate to barrel sizeXpower, making it so their more powerful weapons have geometrically higher recoil.

In reality, NC would be better off as the spammy low powered damage per bullet faction IRL if they chose magnets.
    • Up x 1
  4. Rhinzual

I'm sure the Vanu would win because they use lasers (travel at the speed of light and cause nasty steam explosions due to flash boiling all the fluids in your body) and are supposed to be genetically engineered Transhumans (think a very powerful version of Batman written by... any of DC's authors I guess). Vanu would be doing crazy strong/fast feats of stuff that you'd never see otherwise, and they'd all be out-thinking the TR and NC every single step of the way. That's what a Transhuman is supposed to be, not the weird cyborg from Hollywood's bargain bin of ideas.
  5. WalrusJones

Well, The Vanu are weird.

I think their flavor of transumanisim is more like it is described in this thread.

The reality, everyone holds their own ideas of what it takes to win a war, and thats what makes the draw of the three factions interesting.
  6. TheShrapnelKing

Correct me if I'm wrong but all the Vanu guns seem to fire Plasma, not laser beams.
    • Up x 3
  7. Devrailis

If Planetside were real, you'd all be married to mail-order Vanoo infils.
    • Up x 6
  8. Kurreah

Yep. Even the guns that claim to be lasers - aren't lasers.
    The projectile velocities are around a million times too slow.
  9. Rhinzual

Gotta wonder which would be worse, as plasma is (supposedly, my science is rusty) super-heated gas, or whatever. I do know that Plasma Weapons were like, the most powerful weapons in the Fallout games aside from niche weapons like the Missile Launcher. I mean, one is the Commando faction (TR with bullets) NC are apparently using rapid firing versions of the Railgun from that Eraser movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger, and the VS are using the Phased Plasma Rifles from the Terminator 1&2 movies as depicted in the future war sequences.

Huh, all three factions use weapons mentioned/seen in three Arnold Schwarzenegger films. Kinda funny/cool when you think about it.
  10. Rhinzual

What about you? Me, I appreciate a gal who isn't all skin and bones.
    • Up x 2
  11. BrocolyGuy

If history repeats itself then we can see that superior technology means you win the war. If we assume that the populations are generally equal (because thats how the game is supposed to be) than vanu is the most technologically superior and the other factions basically have no advantages over them. Thus i really doubt that if this was real that the TR or NC would last. Just look at the native americans versus the white people, white people had the superior technology and there was basically nothing the natives could do against them. Or the iraq war, sure its not won but thats because the taliban knows how to hide well, the USA is far superior to the radicals there due to the US weapons (like drones)
  12. Munq

If Planetside was real, you wouldn't be in it because you are playing video games.
    • Up x 3
  13. riker

woooooooowwwww you know nothing about railguns...........railguns=NO RECOIL
  14. WalrusJones

You don't read physics articles, study's on navy railguns, etc.

The railguns do recoil, they recoil with the force they propel their shot with: For every inch of the barrel that conducts the electric pulse to propel the shot.

Magnets don't defy Newtonian physics, electric or not.

Try placing yourself between a wall mounted electromagnet, and a fridge mounted to the wall.

Turn up the electromagnet.

Given the electromagnet, and the fridge are equally well mounted and heavy, both are equally likely to pull off the wall and be what slams you into the other.
    • Up x 1
  15. Kristan

No recoil... yeah...

The other problem of gauss weaponry... look at the amount of power wires, it devours monstrous amount of energy to make a shot.
    • Up x 2
  16. WycliffSlim

Well... no one would win because, "Lol Nanites". If you have a theoretically infinite supply of warm bodies and vehicles then the war rages on forever. Also, the Vanu are simply fighting for the Lolz.
  17. WalrusJones

If we cant kill them....

We must seduce them.

Shoots self for saying that.
  18. Sen7ryGun84

OP... learn some physics basics. That is all.
    • Up x 1
  19. Necron

Yeah, but look at the size of the hole that one shot could make. It would turn anything into scrap.
  20. WalrusJones

And you think a rifle with a 4mm barrel could do the same?