Why were A2A missiles nerfed?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by The_Shruberer, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Ronin Oni

No, A2A is NOT required at all. Get better. Use your ROTARY and AB Fuel and fly with SKILL.

I own A2AM's fwiw... haven't equipped them since the first or second week of Dec.

Oh, and I know all kinds of maneuvers... I dodge plenty of them. But they are NOT hard to use and have WAAAAAY to much tracking.

Due to their relative positioning... G2A lockon's aren't nearly as bad and are far more avoidable.

Sorry, no respect for A2A users and they don't deserve kills. Play the bloody game and stop using auto-hit weapons.

FWIW: I'm heavily censoring my actual opinion of A2A users due to ToS.... I don't think I could post my real opinion anywhere outside of 4chan without getting in trouble for it.... my disgust runs that deep.

The hilarious thing is... in the hands of a GOOD pilot... Rotary is unequivocally better than A2A... A2A is just for no skill easy farm kills.
    • Up x 1
  2. GraphicJ

lol Sorry I guess I have enough gas in my "sarcasm detection" engine.

In that case 90% right. See below.

3. Tasogie

eh thats your choice mate an your welcome to it, but I think your wrong. I used to bail out an I just came to a realization one day when it was done to me 15 times in a row, that it was just stupid. So I never ever bail now, if they kill me, they earned it.
  4. orthus2

Than how about balance A2A to have a higher gap to improve with skill, maybe they need a shorter lock on range, but in all honesty why should dogfights be limited to machine guns? this isn't the ******* 1940s
    • Up x 2
  5. JaxsonFive

Wait, is this true? They're refunding people money for these nerfs? No way that can be true. Is it??
  6. GraphicJ

"...kill is a kill be it ramming them*..."

You lost all credit to your argument right there
  7. Tasogie

no, SOE will never do that.
    • Up x 1
  8. Ronin Oni

I don't bail everytime... usually I think I can get away but get nailed anyways... I always try and escape if I can.... so I give them a lot more kills then I'd really like. (even when a missile is locked and fired I'm always looking for something to take the blow for me... My favorite is using enemy libs to eat it :D )

If I have 2-3 tails all locking onto me (and never a single bloody canon shot... bloody REALLY?!??) then screw it. I'm hittin dirt unless I'm within 100m of a serious friendly AA unit.

I simply despise A2A users. If you can't fly, either get out of the air or learn how to dogfight proper. I use Afterburner fuel tanks for my Air Superiority (and my normal... I rarely pull my A2G fighter) build. It's more fun, more effective, and most importantly, uses zero game auto-assists.... every kill I get is mine... not some game mechanic feeding them to me.

Rotary is truly better at dogfighting... A2A is simply easy. No Skill. Newb weapon.

Yah, I saw some numbers showing TR had the lowest DPS and damage per reload....

Funny cause I still use mine just fine *shrug*

I think it's the fact I'm running fuel and speed frame and most people have A2AM's or RP's these days. More the fool them.
  9. Tasogie

How so, in dogfights its real easy to get rammed sometimes, through no fault of your own. But if your going down, you can ram them an still get a kill.Not something I've done alot of, because I suck at dog fighting.
  10. JaxsonFive

That was my first initial thought then people were giving that dude thumbs up. What? Since when do we give thumbs up to inaccurate information? You know what I mean? Man, people need to get their priorities in order.
  11. GraphicJ

Yes I know it happens accidentally or intentional. I despise the latter.
  12. Ronin Oni

Because lock-ons are lame and boring and skill-less.

Reality is meaningless. This is a game and Fun trumps all.

MG/Canon dog-fighting = fun.

A2AM dogfighting = Easy boring gameplay for the user, and an absolute irritant to the attacked.

They should be changed to require active lock which would be a massive nerf possibly warranting some buffs, primarily velocity and maybe damage...

At least active lock would require some semblance of skill... significantly game assisted skill, but some FFS.

Current implementation is entirely skill-less BS.

I know cause I used them for a couple weeks farming ESF and lib kills. I wanted to know just how bad they were. They're horrible. They require zero skill.

I'll go ahead and spawn my A2AM's to check out this "nerf" but honestly I think I'll feel just as dirty using them with the proper lock on reticule size (FWY: They were glitched before, allowing for lockon FAR OUTSIDE the provided reticule)
  13. Ronin Oni

I've rammed as a last ditch once or twice... try not to though. I'd rather pull some amazing maneuver and wind up behind my pursuer and get a kill when I was "down and out" (though attempting that has led to a couple collisions as well :p )

However "because I suck at dog fighting" ..... your support of A2A suddenly makes sense.

Pro Tip: Using A2AM's you'll never get better.
  14. Tasogie

lol passive aggressive, really?.....Be nice :)
  15. Ronin Oni

No, I may come off as brash but I'm serious.

A2AM's won't make you get better.

1v1 I can smoke most A2AM users simply out of virtue of pilot skill. (my increased afterburner comes in handy sometimes to that effect)

Go back to AB fuel, and work your butt off learning how to fling that lil bird around in whichever way you want. You can do amazing things in them and I'm still learning.

I've crashed... a LOT... in my time learning how to get better. I've crashed into more trees, and towers, and rocks etc etc than I could possibly count.

The end result is that I got better at flying.

Using A2AM's you do none of that... and have less fuel to escape when being tailed (or to catch up to an enemy attempting to flee)

I'm totally serious. If you want to dominate in the air, get Rotary + AB Fuel and spec that bad boy out for air domination.

It's also entirely more satisfying.
  16. orthus2

so the problem is the implementation IE: how they are easy to use (closing the skill gap between pilots) and how they are relativity hard to dodge.
  17. The_Shruberer

Ronin - what do you think about a no-lockon A2A missile that does 70-90% damage to air but does negligible damage to ground targets?
  18. Tasogie

oh I ma not offended :). an yes I agree with you, but for me personally I have more fun flying CAS. I fly at ground level (literally) it means I can dodge an weave an zip through spaces really quick. because I practice at it. But in the air I am toast because I can never get behind them once it starts. though to be fair, most fights end with a surprise attack. I cant count the number of times I have puilled a pop up over a cliff an seen a Reaver or Scythe standing there blasting something, an my First rotary pass generally does the damage, with a quick follow up.
  19. Ronin Oni

Stinger type missiles which prox detonate near aircraft, and have straight high velocity trajectory (but not 70-80% dmg) would be perfect.
  20. BadLizzard