Why do so few people bother repairing MAXes at a terminal?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Crywalker, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Crywalker

You can switch to engi fairly quickly and repair, then go back to doing your thing. The MAX can't just swap to medic to heal up like and infantry can, he needs someone else to repair.

For one, you get XP. So it's not at all a selfless act.
    Two, it makes said MAX happy, you've done a nice thing.
    Three, you've helped your team by fixing up a powerful(well, depending on how many certs/SC they spend..but still) unit.

Maybe it's because I have the terrible default MAX unit currently that no one wants to bother? It's still a solid meatshield.... Calling for repairs several times and just being left there sucks.
    • Up x 11
  2. Tasogie

your dealing with a majority of players who dont give a **** about you or anyone els, they are in it for the certs, an if you get in their way, they will happily shoot you to get to those certs. Welcome to entitled generation of gamers mate :(.
    • Up x 15
  3. Xuram

The problem with that is then you have to stop whatever you're doing find a terminal repair the max go back to the terminal change to what you were before and go back to whatever you were doing. Find a buddy who likes playing engineer. That should work a lot better for you :D

*edit* as the guy above me said it should work a lot better for you then relying on the random internet people.
  4. HLM

Even worse is when there's a bunch of engineers just loitering about in the area doing nothing, and still they just ignore you..
    • Up x 1
  5. t31os

You also should consider that mines, c4, grenades all cost infantry resources, swapping class will cost you those resources again, which may be in short supply if you hold only a few hexes at the given time.

Had that very problem today, not enough infantry resources and whole load of vehicles that needed mining, did manage to score a multikill of sorts earlier though, so was quite happy the few mines i did get to use did some damage.
  6. Crywalker

Uh...really? I don't think swapping classes loses equipped explosives for infantry. This is news to me.
    • Up x 1
  7. Zenanii

It doesn't. It doesn't even remove planted explosives. One more person have been enlightened.
    • Up x 3
  8. Zan_Aus

It doesn't, no idea what he means.

As for MAXs I will always swap unless I have something utterly vital that needs doing now.
    • Up x 1
  9. Ramzar

It doesn't.

I will often swap to engie and repair a max near the terms, and then swap back and carry on with what i was doing. However it takes a bit of time to hear the max'sr call for help, then figure out there are no engies nearby, and finally to chase the max down as he's running around screaming for help lol.
  10. Brickwalker

No way around it,its pretty much this ^

Im guilty of it as well.I dont want to take the time to repair your ***..

I'd rather take those 10 steps towards the battle that I lost repairing you.Yeah its a team based game and yeah youre on my side,but unless Im already the class that can benefit you,youre SOL as far as I go.Its not a one way street,I'll be expecting the same when Im in a Max as well,it is what it is.Best to just try your luck finding someone who has already rolled an engineer.

Now,if someone in your outfit refuses to do it,then thats something else.
  11. Talizzar

I always will switch out to help the Maxes and drop ammo for them. Sometimes I am on my own mission but will at least try to repair them up. I don't get it either.

Sometimes I will adopt the MAX for the better good even though I could be getting my own kills. I hope someone will do the same for me someday.

Unfortunately the above quotes are too true.
    • Up x 1
  12. Zan_Aus

It comes and goes. I had some awesome engineers helping my MAX out on Briggs yesterday.

I find the engineers often dry up in the last stages of a base fight, just when you want MAXs to push out of a tower or spawn room, everyone swaps to HA before the base falls (either to farm certs or because they feel the HA's firepower is needed on the frontline more than their engineer is needed on the backline).
  13. Divinorium

I, as a NC, almost never repair MAXes, and i play 90% of time as a engi.
    Why? simply because most of times the MAXes are playing alone, that's why he doesnt have a support crew, and doing stupid things.
    By stupid i mean using Max in a open battle with a shotgun, entering infront of others players aim, trying to go rambo....

Like i've said: MAX requesting for repair normaly is playing alone and isn't doing something important so it's not worth my time.

PS: And i'm not going as far to say how it's funny to swap to the repair tool, see the MAX looking at you instead of covering just to have a random enemy come and kill both.

Wait i said it...
    • Up x 1
  14. Duff_Chimp

True dat. Contrary to popular belief I'm not in the business of making other people have fun in this game. He is probably one if those maxes that screams repair, until when I start repairing him he decides to wander off. Patience is a virtue, don't expect heals as soon as you mash the command and you'll be ok.
  15. t31os

My point was, if you've used your explosives on a non-engineer class, then switch to engineer(which likely includes mines in the loadout), you'll pay for those, then for any additional explosives you pick up when you switch back to the original class(LA could be one example).

I'll lay it out this way to make it a little easier to follow(i hope).

1. You're LA and used your C4
    2. You switch to engineer and pay infantry resources for your loadout which includes mines(for example)
    3. You repair the max
    4. You switch back to LA and again pay out infantry resources for C4

The point being, you've spent infantry resources on mines you didn't want to spend them on *yet*(resources may be tight and you may want to hold onto what little you do have). That switch of class could be the difference between your next loadout when you spawn, having explosives/nades or not..

Now, i'm not saying this is a regular situation to find yourself in, but i sometimes find myself in a situation where i'm thinking of switching to engineer to repair a turrent, max, terminal, tank or whatever, but i'm short on infantry resources, so i tell myself "no, i need those".. (i do if infantry resources are tight, like they were when playing early today).
  16. Crywalker

Ah I figured out where the confusion is here - you've got auto-resupply ticked. Never have that turned on myself.
  17. DankFist

This.
  18. OgreMarkX

I always switch (or since I am usually engy, I always repair a max if he is need).

A few pointers for maxes being repaired:

1. Just because an engy is repairing you, that doesn't mean "run right back into combat while under repair"
    2. Wait in safety if possible to be fully repaired, the engy doesn't want to chase you into combat--maxes draw focus fire and explosives, I do not want to run after you, wasting my repair tool time.
    3. While under repair, keep an eye out for likely enemy attacks, it's not afk scratch ball time, the engy doesn't want to die while you're shifting lefty.
    • Up x 3
  19. Hospitaller_Sarpton

I love to play an engi and repairing maxes is good times for everyone. But the biggest problem I have run into is that maxes don't stop running when I'm repairing them or when I stop for my repair gun to cool down they take off. But I have had maxes that when i repair them hide behind me so I get killed if someone comes around the corner I remember those guys and will refuse to heal them ever again. Seem Like a d(i)k move.
    • Up x 1
  20. GhostAvatar

What's more annoying is when you do this sitting in the spawn room with twin burster max, watching the same people spawning, leaving, and getting killed by air spam again and again. All the while you are shouting for repairs so you can actually deal with the air that is killing them all the time.
    • Up x 12