Let's be honest, the cloak is a joak.

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Mbui, Feb 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deathcapt

As someone who never uses infil and almost ALWAYS has an IRNV scope, I am completely fine with not being able to see cloaked infils on IRNV. I felt like it was ******** before, and always felt bad, when I turn a corner and instantly see and kill him. Sometimes I even send tells liek "sorry bro IRNV, not hacks".

I feel the IRNV is too good right now, and that it needs proper draw backs. reducing draw distance would be too much IMO, I feel like a better fix would be something like Flashlights and healights blinding it, I would actually rather see regular, full draw distance, but without the unit highlighting.
    • Up x 2
  2. PaladinZERO

When implants come in, Cloak needs to be like PS1 cloak, no timer. Darklight will be the counter.
    • Up x 1
  3. GraphicJ

You have your infilrator bug, we NV scope users have our bug...SOoooo it basically evens out.
    Either way I'm pretty sure devs will be patching that Infiltrator/low settings bug real soon. I'm not sure about the NV scopes though.

Besides I'd rather play in Hi settings than to play on Low ugly settings just so I can look out for a semi contrast-cloaked figure.

[IMG]...yuck. Pretty Graphics > visible contrast of cloaked figure.
  4. PaperPlanes

The joke is you not knowing how to take 5 seconds in MS Paint to shrink an image.
  5. Reithan

I've not really understood this. Do you just walk around ADS all the time? Because don't you need to ADS to see the cloaked units with IRNV? So, unless you already know someone's there...you still can't see them, right?
    • Up x 1
  6. Blackoth

ive gotten many headshots on cloaked infiltrators who thought they were invisible. i wonder every time how mad they are when they get shot lol.

EDIT: In reading this deeper, i did not realize that low setting had such a pronounced claok reveal, i play the game on highest so i think even the good cloak stinks.
  7. Jests

No, the joke is not my lack of knowledge but how incredibly lazy I am.
  8. Deathcapt

When Fighting at a base, I usually peek around corners with ADS up to decrease my reaction time. Also, I'm basically, constantly going back and forth from ADS, to check things out. The way I see it, if I look at something, I might as well be ready to shoot anything that I find there.
    • Up x 2
  9. Eugenitor

(Full disclosure: I can't remember the last time I played Infiltrator. I stopped doing it due to things like the OP.)

In my experience, the only time cloak makes a difference is when you're being hunted by vehicles- and sometimes not even then, thanks to noobmals and infrared noobvision.

I just don't think the devs understand how utterly useful sound is to good players, especially since solid objects don't baffle sounds the way they do in real life. When an inf cloaks near me, I know which direction he's in and how far away he is (loudness). For me, it's like a general minimap ping, coupled with an announcer voice going "There is an infiltrator right here. Please claim your free XP."

This even goes for Flashes. Some infil was behind my Magrider driving one, for what purpose I'll never know. One VPC shot later, he was toast. That vehicle needs a muffler.

And the cloak visibility should be dropped one step. A running infil should be as visible as a standing infil is now; a standing infil should be as visible as a crouched one is now; and a crouched one should be invisible, period.

Cloak doing the opposite of what it's supposed to, hit point weakness (was that really necessary?), lack of weapon selection (devs, please bring back shotgun infil), and the god damned render distance issue make me wonder why anyone plays this class at all other than to hack things.
  10. zijin_cheng

Well, I would say bring back a shotgun infil with the current broken cloak, or give us a better cloak with SMGs, because both a shotgun+awesome cloak would actually be kind of OP.
  11. Eugenitor

You mean like an LA?
    • Up x 1
  12. Reithan

Current infi is weaker than ANY other class in many ways:
    • Less HP (100 less)
    • Only 2nd best stealth (silent jetpacks that let you bypass terrain and approach from a stealthier angle > crappy cloak with early warning alarm for your enemies built in that stopps your from fighting back until you turn it off) (note: by 2nd best I mean nearly useless - I don't think it even disables your dorito showing up anymore?)
    • Worst weapon selection. snipers are ok, scouts are horrible...and then SMG is fine, but everyone gets it
    • Only class without C4 - infi has no defense or offense against vehicles whatsoever, even worse if they have IR/NV
    • Most limited tool use. Heavy gets 5 rockets, engi gets infinite ammo & turrets. Infi gets 2 darts base that last about 20s, don't work at range, and don't award any XP for spotting, and don't make doritos show up.
    • Only class w/o shotgun access.
    • Only class with barrel sway
    • Class most limited by FPS and render distance, as it's best used at super-long ranges. Bullet drop, travel time, sway, randomly disappearing enemies, etc mean sniping is as frustrating as possible at all time...add in that slug shotguns are almost as good at sniping as proven in NUMEROUS youtube videos and it's just stupid.
    • Up x 7
  13. Lemmiatem

For how short it is, I don't know why they don't consider giving complete invisibility. Though admittedly comparing apples to oranges, it did work for Spies in TF2. Perhaps to balance you can give IR scopes better capacity to find cloaked infiltrators.
  14. Phredrik

Please tell me they are fixing this!
  15. BlackAlpha

Yesterday, I was inside a turret at Tawrich Tech Plant, looking North West, and I saw a cloaked infiltrator 200-300 meters away. So I shot him. I was surprised how easily I could see him. It didn't matter he was cloaked. I saw something black moving on the ground, he looked a bit similar to other infantry.

I thought cloak was supposed to be more effective when you are further away from the enemy? But it looked like the normal cloaking effect up close.
  16. VapAspen

I must say I am was a bit surprised reading this because I thought it was just a general nerf but given that high settings players didn't really see a change it does seem more like a bug now. I love playing inf like a commando and will one of the first to sing the praises of the right camp but this bug is one I really feel. I can still sometimes get into position behind enemy lines but it is a lot harder now simply because I have no way of predicting my visibility.

If there is a need to balance the commando inf may I suggest a new cloak that has a duration based on how fast you go such that you can cover the same ground sprinting cloaked as crouching but the trade of is visibility. And have some cap duration for not moving. This would give players that understand stealth the tool to play like a commando.
  17. Chemicalnurd

I can use the cloak.
    But I can also use the jetpack and infiltrate 10x as effectively.
  18. Rhinzual

This, a thousand times this. Also, I don't want to have to spend an unholy amount of certs to get PS1's cloaking style. Nor do I feel like waiting forever for it either (I may be playing PS1 by then if it's F2P).
  19. Bloodmyth

What NV bug, they chose for us not to show up, quoted from Raderx "I'm sorry I could have done a better job of clarifying that. We did have a few things that changed which weren't listed (Infiltrators on IRNV scopes for example) which we obviously should have listed."
    Source: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...-changed-can-we-know-what-it-was.90898/page-2
  20. zeta3901

im ashamed that you can act like that, the guy had a valid point, in fact i think he´s right. just because the cloak sucks doesn´t mean you can start acting like a jerk against people that think it might work for SOMETHING.
    the issue with the cloak (other than the obvius low graphics stuff) is not that its not effective, close up atleast, ITS A SNIPER CLOAK! its a very defensive cloak, we dont need to make it straight up bett... err well its pretty close to be balanced considering its build for sniping but what we need is a more aggresive one that can be used up close

don´t get me wrong, i don´t like the hunter cloak, but that doesn´t justify acting like a ******
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.